FRANK SENT ME: 2 African Mixes To Melt Your Face

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited March 2016 in DJ Talk / Mixes
So our friend Frank (aka Soulpusher) has been rounding up some of the most insane African gems for the last year or so since he moved to the continent. Those of us who have seen his finds posts can attest to the depth of his collection.I was priviledged during his last visit to the states to buy some raers from and chop it up with one of the most sincere, pleasant, interesting, intelligent, and (yes) generous dudes in this here record game. Since then he has returned to Conkary, Guinea and most of the records I bought have been resold but all is not lost! He has sent me the following two mixes to share with the world (he cannot post them from his location because the internet connections are not strong enough). I'd like to thank Frank for the opportunity to listen to and present them. The man has again shown his ass, both with the incredible tunes and the generosity to share them.So, with pleasure, I present the following mixes on Frank's behalf. Enjoy.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    THANKS!!!

I thought he had retired though?

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    20 minutes till :anticipatedfacemelt:

• That is absolutely one of the most unfadeable pictures in the history of record collecting.

That is absolutely one of the most unfadeable pictures in the history of record collecting.

Agreed. If this is not what you aspire towards, you are most definitely frozen in a possibly fatal state of little dudeness.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Thanks Paycheck for makin' my rainy Saturday afternoon. Great stuff. Mo' Thanks to SoulPusher, even if he is livin the gangsta life in that picture.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    i'm pretty sure there won't be any skin left on my face after reviewing these clips.

• That is absolutely one of the most unfadeable pictures in the history of record collecting.

Strangely tho, it's what I expected Frank to look like.

Indeed.

• thanks for posting & sharing these deep sounds!
    great mixes, thanks frank!

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    That is absolutely one of the most unfadeable pictures in the history of record collecting.

Absofuckinglutely, and the sonning that goes along with it is par excellence.

• Downloading...

Thanks in advance Frank,

Dress

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    ... thanx for all the nice words.

and thanx a lot to Jonny for putting these mixes up.

hope you enjoy this stuff.
    I's basicaly stuff I recorded onto my mac to put together two radio shows for Radio SLBS in Freetown. I just removed the track with myself talking and moved the songs together. No mixing skills... this also should explain why not everything is obscure (like the Fela track or the Matata)

Radio SLBS has had an entire house just for their record library. Dating back to Shellack recordings from the 1950's and 60's. There's only the fundamentation remaining though, overgrown with weeds... the rebels burned the whole thing down during operation "no living thing" in 1998. Now they have to play whatever they get sent by the new record labels and that's mostly really, really horrible, cheap, desk top computer generated pop music.

I'd be very happy to get any specific feedbacks on which songs you liked most and which ones you didn't care about too much.

Second last track on mix 2 is the crazy afro psych funk record some people really seemed interested in on the digging thread.

here's the tracklists:

mix 1:
    00:00 the friimen -we can get it on
    04:12 matata -talkin' talkin'
    08:42 dougbe antoine -ya mi ton gbo
    15:12 orch. poly rythmo -minsatole midayi home
    18:20 black dragons -houegbe kouche
    20:52 stanislah tohon -paix lo
    29:58 don bruce & the angels -sugar baby
    36:28 the funkees -now i'm a man
    43:16 perry ernest -funky city
    48:34 sweet breeze -funk
    52:36 cobra -wari wah

mix 2:
    00:00 pat thomas & marijata -i need more
    07:40 black santiagos-ole
    10:45 orch poly rythmo -gbeti ma djro
    13:41 el rego et ses comandos -hessa
    16:36 the doves -echoing winds
    22:48 don bruce & the angels -kinuye
    27:21 tokyoto ashanty -african danse
    33:00 sookie feat. jeannine otis -rhythm on rhythm
    36:34 dougbe antoine & poly rythmo -nou akue non hwlin me sin kon sio
    41:22 sir victor uwaifo -all correct
    44:55 akeeb kareem -esin funfun (white horse)
    49:38 fela anikulapo kuti -sorrow tears and blood

I'll be on another digging safsari in Sierra Leone later this month and also have already booked another flight to Cotonou where the entire staff of the hotel's restaurant seems to be digging stuff up for me in the meantime...

• In life, some swim in the kiddie pool while others are out in the ocean. You didn't need to post mixes of your finds, but you did. You didn't need to bother with tracklists, but you did.

Frank--this is awesome...can't wait to listen.

With appreciation,

BELIEVE

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Straight up though Frank has been that dude.

Hey Frank.

Agreed. If this is not what you aspire towards, you are most definitely frozen in a possibly fatal state of little dudeness.

the details in that picture are amazing...the record player, speakers, AND the iBook. the bottle of booze, the dogs, the flowering plants. The smile on his face...and the huge fucking gun, with banana clip.

i mean...wow.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    thanks!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    thanks! great mix!

FELA KUTI IS MY FAVORITE! i like him a lot! i'm so proud that my mom bought his records! he's one of my favorite musicians! brilliant music! he's best!!!

• Fuck Yes! Thanks for posting and making these! I can't wait to listen.

Posting the tracklist is on the real.

that is just plain RESPECT.

Thank You!
    Thank You!
    Thank You!
    Thank You!
    Thank You!
    Thank You!
    Thank You!
    Thank You!
    Thank You!
    Thank You!
    Thank You!
    Thank You!
    Thank You!
    Thank You!
    Thank You!

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

FELA KUTI IS MY FAVORITE! i like him a lot! i'm so proud that my mom bought his records! he's one of my favorite musicians! brilliant music! he's best!!!

this reminds me of a French ebayer after winning a fela record.

(I am not making fun of you because Fela is fkin amazing , but the way you typed it was funny)

Nothing short of BEATDAWG speak can fully express how I feel about the mixes.

THE MUSIC HERE IS BANANAS! YOU HAVE SO MUCH KILLER SPACY FUNK ACTION IT`S UNREAL...A MAD WAH WAH UPTEMPO JAZZ NUGGET...KILLER SOLO BASSLINE HIP HOP SAMPLES...WILD PERCUSSION BITS THAT DROP IN & OUT...WEIRDO SPACE SOUNDS....ALSO DRAMA HORROR SOUNDS TO CHOP UP & SOME READYMADE HIP HOP BEATS...DOESN`T GET BETTER THAN THIS

• Thanks Dude!

My girl grew up in Freetown.

We're at home groovin to this. cheers.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Life looks sweet... apart from needing an AK-47 by your side. I could never *really* chill knowing I might have to get busy with the Widow Making at any given time. Maybe the rum helps?

But thanks - this kind of restores some faith in humanity.

• BEATDAWG speak

THE MUSIC HERE IS BANANAS! YOU HAVE SO MUCH KILLER SPACY FUNK ACTION IT`S UNREAL...A MAD WAH WAH UPTEMPO JAZZ NUGGET...KILLER SOLO BASSLINE HIP HOP SAMPLES...WILD PERCUSSION BITS THAT DROP IN & OUT...WEIRDO SPACE SOUNDS....ALSO DRAMA HORROR SOUNDS TO CHOP UP & SOME READYMADE HIP HOP BEATS...DOESN`T GET BETTER THAN THIS[/b]

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    THANKS!!!

I thought he had retired though?

"Today was a good day. I didn't have to use my AK."

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    download completed....i could already tell this is going to be ill....

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

We are out of download slots, and I never got to hear the second mix.

Just keep trying ... eventually you'll get a "slot".

And the Frank photo ... what can I say? If you were following the Funk Forum thread where that baby first appeared then you know that photo hit like a Tyson uppercut:

http://www.fryer-mantis.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7003&start=105

So, Frank, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you but thanks very much for the effort and the follow through on the mixes and, of course, for the existence that led to that photo.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    The music on these mixes is most excellent, Frank!

Thank you for sharing with all of us.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

THE MUSIC HERE IS BANANAS! YOU HAVE SO MUCH KILLER SPACY FUNK ACTION IT`S UNREAL...A MAD WAH WAH UPTEMPO JAZZ NUGGET...KILLER SOLO BASSLINE HIP HOP SAMPLES...WILD PERCUSSION BITS THAT DROP IN & OUT...WEIRDO SPACE SOUNDS....ALSO DRAMA HORROR SOUNDS TO CHOP UP & SOME READYMADE HIP HOP BEATS...DOESN`T GET BETTER THAN THIS[/b]

• kalakala 3,358 Posts

THE MUSIC HERE IS ASSOUT FUNKYASS ON FIYAHHH! YOU HAVE SO MUCH KILLER SPACY FUNK THAT YA HO IN CLEVELAND GONNA FEEL IT UP IN HER NINNIES YO
    ACTION IT`S LUBRICATED LIKE A CONDOM...A MAD WAH WAH UPTEMPO VIBRATOR JAZZ SPERM BUTT NUGGET...KILLER CLIT SOLO AND DEEP THROBBING BASSLINE ASS GRIND HIP HOP SLUTS THAT ARE ALL BLAPPABLE...WILD TITIES FLYIN' EVERYWHERE TITS THAT DROP IN & SMACK YA HEAD OUT...WEIRDO SPACE SOUNDS EMULATE FROM THIS GULLY ASS STANKHO....ALSO DRAMA FUCK SLOB SHOE FETISH HORROR SOUNDS TO CHOP UP WITH A CHAINSAW & SOME READYMADE CHEEZE IN AN AERESOL CAN TYPE JEEP SCION RARER COLLECTRO SAYEREST HIP HOP JAWNS AND BEATS...THIS SIDE OF THE MASON[REESE]DIXON[NOT PAT] LINE[/b]

ps thanks
    this is why i love the strut
    worldwide kids

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    this shit is too the tee though. Ive bought a few psych rock records from him and that shit had me cracking up. Has he had any auctions lately? I stopped doing the ebay shit for a minute due to lack o funds.