Oh, this is SO NRR. Steelers fans, opinions plaese

Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
So, at work I won a contest this week. The prize is an authentic team jersey of my choice (up to $400). I know it's going to be a Steelers jersey - that's a given and I've got the birth certificate to prove it. Now. I already have a replica Polamalu jersey so I'm thinking that I want a former Steeler this time, even though a Heinz Ward jersey would be nice too. Here are the choices I'm considering. What do you think?10 Byron White[/b]An extremely obscure choice, and only worth consideration because Byron White was later a Kennedy appointee to the US Supreme Court. Proof positive that helmets do work.30 John "Frenchie" Fuqua[/b]Frenchie enabled the immaculate reception by not catching Bradshaw's pass (well, the Oakland dude who hit Frenchie had something to do with it too). Plus, he wore platform shoes with fish in them....32 Franco Harris[/b]Just 'cos I had a Harris jersey as a kid.58 Jack Lambert[/b]As a kid, the first football player I can remember who was missing teeth, and one of my all time favorite Steelers.68 LC Greenwood[/b]A career Steeler, welcomed league fines for wearing gold shoes, criminally neglected by NFL Hall of Fame.Not that I would get this jersey , but Fania fans should note current Steeler Right Tackle rookie: 74 Willie Colon[/b]Or, I could go with:45 My name [/b]The number chosen for obvious reasons, and also since there is no #45 on the Steelers roster right now. The ultimate in customization but if for some reason I ever wanted to sell it, nobody would buy it.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    COLON is

• COLON is

I hate the Steelers, but I would almost consider wearing that jersey.

• terry bradshaw?

how about the BUS, hes retired now.

-rich

• 10 Byron White[/b]
    An extremely obscure choice, and only worth consideration because Byron White was later a Kennedy appointee to the US Supreme Court. Proof positive that helmets do work.

"Whizzer" White? He played back before WWII. I don't think anybody makes the 1938 Steelers jersey (unless you're just gonna get a more modern one with his name & number on it... )

You need a #17 Jefferson St. Joe Gilliam, for real. I need one of those my damn self.

If the jersey they're giving to the winner is a modern jersey and not a throwback, you need to go with a modern player. #64 Jeff Hartings would be a good choice... All Pro player who's jersey a lot of people probably aren't rocking (although in Pittsburgh I'd bet they rock everybody from Willie Parker to Chris Gardocki). Willie Colon, gotta admit I like that one too. But my #1 choice (what else?):

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    58 Jack Lambert[/b]
    As a kid, the first football player I can remember who was missing teeth, and one of my all time favorite Steelers.

Personally, I'd go with this one. Lambert was totally that dude. Correction: Lambert was totally that mean motherfucker. But I'd also give serious consideration to Rocky Bleier (#20) and Mel Blount (#47)

• this is a very personal decision. We can make suggestions but ultimately the choice is yours. Search your feelings.

Blount and Bleier are also worthy of consideration, also how about Jack Ham?
    Greenwood is pretty tempting, because of the Hall of Fame debacle, and he was very dignified at the season opening this year standing next to the more celebrated hall of famers. Also, i think he still lives up the street n at.
    Fuqua is such a cool name though...

• this is a very personal decision. We can make suggestions but ultimately the choice is yours. Search your feelings.

Thanks, Yoda. Seriously though, I understand this but there's never any harm in soliciting opinions. For example, I have already enjoyed seeing names like Blount and Bleier (came to my elemetary school once) mentioned, and while he wasn't a real serious consideration, Phill_Most's comment that the name and number of a running back drafted in the 30s on a modern jersey would not be a good look is also valid and was good to read.

Actually, Phill_Most gets more dap for suggesting Charlie Batch (I'm just not a big fan of Roethlisberger). And Jeff Hartings...that would cause some interesting discussion amongst the extended family, made up of both Penn State and Pitt alum....

Blount and Bleier are also worthy of consideration, also how about Jack Ham?

Hell, if I could afford jerseys for the entire steel curtain I would get them all, and maybe throw in Mike Webster just 'cos he had such a long career there too. No recommendations for Myron Cope though? Yoinks!

So it's looking like I'll soon be rocking the authentic Lambert[/b] throwback.

• What about......

the previously mentioned 12 Terry Bradshaw?

99 Levon Kirkland?

54 Hardy Nickerson?

86 Eric Green?

29 Barry Foster?

Bam Morris?

I always loved Bradshaw.

Lambert is the choice from the group you mentioned.

• What about......
    the previously mentioned 12 Terry Bradshaw?

Maybe if he had never gone into broadcasting. My opinion of him slips a little every time he opens his mouth lately. "Failure To Launch" doesn't really help matters....

49s fans would appreciate the Barry Foster jersey though.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Some Blasts from the Pasts

Mark "Go Home" Malone

One of Best Kickers of all Time

• I love Bradshaw cos he cares about his home state. He donated all of his Super Bowl rings, MVP Trophy, just everything of merit from his career to Louisiana Tech. He constantly bigs up the Saints and how important it is to keep them in Louisiana. I wish he would get the "consortium" together and buy the Saints!

How could I forget Bubby Brister? He went to the same HS and college as me. I remember he and Merrill Hoge *almost* pulled off a huge playoff upset in Denver against Elway and the Broncos in like 88 or 89.

• What? No love for Mean Joe Green????

• What? No love for Mean Joe Green????

sayin'.

plus you could throw it to a little kid if one ever sees the thirst and exhaustion in your eyes and offers you his coke.

what about Stallworth?

I would suggest Lynn Swann, but dude is a republican running for govenor..ya dont wanna floss a republican candidate's name on your jersey...

• So it's looking like I'll soon be rocking the authentic Lambert[/b] throwback.

You can't go wrong rockin' this scary muthaf***a's jersey. Now THAT'S what a football player is supposed to look like!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I would suggest Lynn Swann, but dude is a republican running for govenor..ya dont wanna floss a republican candidate's name on your jersey...

I was just informed that Mel Blount is a Rick "Man-On-Dog" Santorum supporter, so I'm retracting my support for a Mel Blount jersey. I mean, of all people to support, you had to choose that stupid asshole? Say it ain't so, Mel!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i think you should get one that represents old and new...

COLON-LIPPS

then everyone will know that you love a team that bought its superbowl.