should wax collectors have rules regarding Microwave?

matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Since we are all record collectors here, I just thought i'd pose this question...For the ones that use Microwave to dj out, do you have any rules in regard to what you'll spin out?Me for instance when I get all of the ish I want encoded, I would probably play only stuff I personally have on wax, with the EXCEPTION of brand new stuff that I don't want to buy a physical copy of. And since I'm a hip hop collector primarily, I would try avoid by all means going to unkut and downloading a mp3 of "listen to the man" and then playing it out. That's not to say that I think that people that don't have too many records but have a shitload of mp3s can't do what they do. Shit the bottom line is they have to be killing it with the mixes, blends, cuts, and all that. Don't have a millon mp3s and then just be a regular let the whole song play dj. I just wanted to address the collector/djs on here. What do you guys think?

Comments

• What do you guys think?
    RULES WERE MADE TO BE BROKEN.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Why set self imposed limits on what you want to do as an artist?

• Why set self imposed limits on what you want to do as an artist?

Fuck that.

We need more rules. We need lots and lots of rules.

And pre-printed playlists.

And all (7) of the elements punched out on our KEEP IT REAL cards.

• for new music: I buy only stuff I really want to own i.e. shit i'll care about 3 months from now. Fuck buying a Fergie 12''.

for raers: you can't get the same erotic digging experience from a yousendit file as you would from clutching chunks of mold and dust between your precious fingertips. I mean yeah we can get a file of "so-and-so" for free but damn it, like I said, nothing like going into some poor dudes house, getting his records for dirt cheap, posing with them for internet usage, and selling them for 10 x's the amount. Sometimes you can sell them and not even have to mail 'em!

real world digging bicycle shredding moves > microwave Ichat transfers

P. In Cubicle

• One more thing, what about the other local djs in your town that are your peeps who are all getting Microwave
    next month and are hitting you up like" yo, I know you got some hard to find shit! Hook it up!!!!"?

• Damn Patrick... so angry.

• Damn Patrick... so angry smart alec-y.

• erotic digging experience

I think microwave DJs should carry in their laptop case receipts for each MP3, CD or vinyl purchase. That way everyone will know it they kept it real/right.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    i don;t have any rules. if i have a high rez mp3, its getting played. i could give a fuck if i have it on wax. yeah, i will look for it on wax, but if i don't own a physical copy, i don't care. nobody in the audience cares, why should i?

One more thing, what about the other local djs in your town that are your peeps who are all getting Microwave
    next month and are hitting you up like" yo, I know you got some hard to find shit! Hook it up!!!!"?

this happens to me all the time since i was the first out of my friends to get microwave. what i do is make them come correct on a trade or something. i mean, i will lace them with a bunch of shit, but they gotta have at least something for me to grab. i haven't been spending countless hours ripping wax and downloading files, bpming, building playlists, etc. just so they can have instant collection.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    nobody in the audience cares, why should i?

Repeat this mantra everytime you think about what DJ rules you should or should not follow.

• i agree with mesh.

my only rule is make sure the file sounds good inside Microwave before i play it out

• One more thing, what about the other local djs in your town that are your peeps who are all getting Microwave

depends on who it is... there are some dudes who have given me gigs, opportunties, knowledge, put me up on shit, hooked me up on records and shit like that in the past that i would let have free reign on my mp3s, but if it's some dude who i don't feel like has ever put in any work, i probably would be hesitant to give them anything

i don't really like to give out my blends, and everyone who i have traded stuff with or given stuff to has respected that... those are kind of what seperates us since most djs have everything these days... i post them here, but i don't really consider anyone here competition... the cats on here from north carolina don't really dj the same kind of shit i do

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Why set self imposed limits on what you want to do as an artist?

I am all for artists imposing rules upon THEMSELVES if it helps them create.

I have a problem with imposing those rules on OTHERS.

Do whatever you need to do, but don't expect that our values will be the same....you risk serious dissapointment every time you venture out that front door.

• tsotso 39 Posts

A friend of mine only plays MP3 while he is DJ'ing, this is somthing I would never do. But I still have good time while he is spinning

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

A friend of mine only plays MP3 while he is DJ'ing, this is somthing I would never do. But I still have good time while he is spinning
    dude how can you have a good time when he's only playing mp3s and not the real schitt

• tsotso 39 Posts
    It's still music isn't it?

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    After seeing mixmaster mike do THE DOPEST DJ SET I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE on a microwave set-up on the weekend.

I don't give a fuck what type of files you use or whether shit is OG or not.

Its all about how you can use that microwave to its maximum potential.

• the cats on here from north carolina don't really dj the same kind of shit i do

YET.

• Why set self imposed limits on what you want to do as an artist?

Fuck that.

We need more rules. We need lots and lots of rules.

And pre-printed playlists.

And all (7) of the elements punched out on our KEEP IT REAL cards.

For cereal----more rules

every who plays out microwaveraers and represses should have to wear a yellow armband declaring their alligiance and to let the people contemplate whether or not their are enjoying their local dj expierience to its fullest potential or if they should wallflower w/ s

i couldnt imagine having a good time listening to non-OG music sources.

• i dont know what this microwave is but it sounds like Microwave or something ,but i think that shi+ is a cheater way of djing ,yeah you can download what ever evry other dj has soo what the point being is that the dj they heard it from prolly has a OG copy and is spining real vinyl, it's taken me 30yrs to collect what i have and all OG vinyl.
    when i spin out i have people given me tips for the music i play not for request but i even get that too and inhave it on vinyl , the thing about being adj is to play what people want to hear or to make people dance to the music your playing, i'm always playing different stuff,and i never have any complaints about what i play, i have never played any mp3's plus i stop downloading them because i run a record store and my purpose is to sell vinyl and do my part in keeping it alive, i have had to turn down two people that called up and asked for blank vinyl records for Microwave and another one that asked for cd's

my purpose as a dj IS TO PLAY VINYL , what ever these other cat's like MMMike and dj revolution they can play what they want i'm not goin to look down on them but as long as i know i'm staying true to myself and what i believe thats what my rule is,

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i dont know what this microwave is but it sounds like Microwave or something ,but i think that shi+ is a cheater way of djing ,yeah you can download what ever evry other dj has soo what the point being is that the dj they heard it from prolly has a OG copy and is spining real vinyl, it's taken me 30yrs to collect what i have and all OG vinyl.
    when i spin out i have people given me tips for the music i play not for request but i even get that too and inhave it on vinyl , the thing about being adj is to play what people want to hear or to make people dance to the music your playing, i'm always playing different stuff,and i never have any complaints about what i play, i have never played any mp3's plus i stop downloading them because i run a record store and my purpose is to sell vinyl and do my part in keeping it alive, i have had to turn down two people that called up and asked for blank vinyl records for Microwave and another one that asked for cd's

my purpose as a dj IS TO PLAY VINYL , what ever these other cat's like MMMike and dj revolution they can play what they want i'm not goin to look down on them but as long as i know i'm staying true to myself and what i believe thats what my rule is,
    WORD

• i dont know what this microwave is but it sounds like Microwave or something

aaahahahahaha... best. shit. evar.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    It's still sarcasm[/b] isn't it?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    i dont know what this microwave is but it sounds like Microwave or something ,but i think that shi+ is a cheater way of djing ,yeah you can download what ever evry other dj has soo what the point being is that the dj they heard it from prolly has a OG copy and is spining real vinyl, it's taken me 30yrs to collect what i have and all OG vinyl.

WORD

INDEED

• the cats on here from north carolina don't really dj the same kind of shit i do

YET.

do it, dude... you don't even have to know what you're doing if you get a microwave... you just show up with all the mp3s you illegally downloaded, enter the amount of time you are supposed to play into your microwave, push start, and money starts falling from the rafters

• A night i used to dj at had a rule that if you played a re-ish or comp you had to wear the sleeve on your head for the duration of the track.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    A night i used to dj at had a rule that if you played a re-ish or comp you had to wear the sleeve on your head for the duration of the track.

LOL