Toni Basil Request

JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Last week someone at work left a mixed cd in the player and there was a lot of early 60's bubblegum and doo-wop going on and suddenly these dark sounding organs started playing and I was hearing words and notions not commonly heard in that era. What was this? Who was this lady?? I wrote down a line of the chorus and googled it. " Im 28 and its getting late, what have I got to do?"Toni Basil- 28I think thats the name of the track...anyhow just found out its the same lady that did the Mickey ( clap, clap, clap) song in the 80's. If she was 28 in 66' then she was pushing 40 in the 80's....even with that cheerleaders outfit she wore in the video...crazy.Anyhow if anyone has this Mp3 I would really like to hear the song again in full.

Comments

• sounds like the track thats on that "girl group sounds" box set. could be wrong though.

i checked and yes in fact it is from that very box set and a great box set it is. the song is called "I'm 28" i'll shoot the mp3 to ya when i get a chance.

• For a long time I just thought that Toni Basil was another disposable product of the 80s with that Mickey song, but then I learned that she was one of the original Lockers with Don Campbell, Shabba Doo, and Fred Perry! She has an extensive dance and choreography career. Then a few years ago I saw this Bruce Connor b/w film called "Breakaway" which is just Toni dancing. My friend had an actual reel so we saw it projected on his wall- it was beautiful. And guess what? Like everything else, it's on youtube!!

ps: for those of you with issues around boobies...brace yoselves. THERE ARE BOOBIES IN THIS CLIP!!

• Thank you so much...listening now. Soul Strut is so freaking cool. Thanks again...love this track.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    here is the requested mp3. enjoy !

http://download.yousendit.com/5ACEA3B62DEC7F3D

That's a great song, thanks!

• you guys are totally welcome. but seriously try and get your hands on that box set cuz that shit is

• she also choreogarphed david bowie's 1974 diamond dogs tour and his glass spider tour.
    and one the the greatest and rarest northern soul 45's with "breakaway"

• she also choreogarphed david bowie's 1974 diamond dogs tour and his glass spider tour.
    and one the the greatest and rarest northern soul 45's with "breakaway"

she also was a dancer on the teen music show Shindig in the mid-60's along with actress Terri Garr.

• She also hung out with Hendrix and was in Easy Rider.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    She also hung out with Hendrix and was in Easy Rider.

Bah beaten again. She's one of the two women in the acid trip sequence.

• she's also in the flick

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    She also hung out with Hendrix and was in Easy Rider.

Bah beaten again. She's one of the two women in the acid trip sequence.

She's also in this classic clip. She's the girl sat opposite Jack Nicholson.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    For a long time I just thought that Toni Basil was another disposable product of the 80s with that Mickey song, but then I learned that she was one of the original Lockers with Don Campbell, Shabba Doo, and Fred Perry! She has an extensive dance and choreography career. Then a few years ago I saw this Bruce Connor b/w film called "Breakaway" which is just Toni dancing. My friend had an actual reel so we saw it projected on his wall- it was beautiful. And guess what? Like everything else, it's on youtube!!

ps: for those of you with issues around boobies...brace yoselves. THERE ARE BOOBIES IN THIS CLIP!!

WOW! I'd love to see that off a reel. I loved how it flipped backwards.

great thread.

• & the classic acid trip n.o. graveyard freak out from

• For a long time I just thought that Toni Basil was another disposable product of the 80s with that Mickey song, but then I learned that she was one of the original Lockers with Don Campbell, Shabba Doo, and Fred Perry! She has an extensive dance and choreography career. Then a few years ago I saw this Bruce Connor b/w film called "Breakaway" which is just Toni dancing. My friend had an actual reel so we saw it projected on his wall- it was beautiful. And guess what? Like everything else, it's on youtube!!

I'm not mad at "Mickey"-- it's the best song about butt-fucking ever to chart. And that dance clip is great.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    She's also in the Nicholson flick "Five Easy Pieces".

I was a teenager when "Mickey" came out. I would have tapped.