BIG NIGHT FOR N.O.

GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Not even just the game. Although that means a lot.The Dome is reopening folks. God knows what went on in there just about twelve months ago.If you don't think a football game could mean anything, check out ESPN tonight starting at about 7 PM EST.GEAUX SAINTS!!! BB&G.I'm going nuts over here waiting for this. Almost there......

Comments

• watching from work right now...hope your boys win...

just wish they might have played some NO music, rather than the usual pre-packaged NFL Arena Rock extrav...oh well.

geaux indeed.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    Streets are ON FIRE right now. shit's gonna be crazy tonight.. bono's staying in my hotel.

god help the paramedics this evening.

• just wish they might have played some NO music, rather than the usual pre-packaged NFL Arena Rock extrav...oh well.

seriously, has u2 signed a contract with like every sport in the world? these dudes really need to go. seems like they have been performing that song at every major sporting event for the past couple years.

• well...irma and allen toussaint just came out for the anthem...that's SOMETHING.

• well...irma and allen toussaint just came out for the anthem...that's SOMETHING.

that was nice

• his piano playing really made that...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    that block was staged.

• this thread needs more love.

• the team looks serious, too...not just the city. damn...the saints came to P.L.A.Y.

• Holler.

Did y'all really need to spill all the blah blah blah on Ron Mexico over in that other thread?

3-0. That's what I'm talkin bout.

• That game was some powerful stuff.

What was that chant everone was shouting, even at the pre game shows? I couldn't make it out.

What was that chant everone was shouting, even at the pre game shows? I couldn't make it out.

That's the "Who Dat?" chant.

"Who Dat?

Who Dat?

Who Dat Say Dey Gon' Beat 'Dem Saints?

Who Dat!?"

• bono's staying in my hotel.

Damn, I didn't know Bono was ballin' on that level.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    bono's staying in my hotel.

Damn, I didn't know Bono was ballin' on that level.

he is such a herb. not a fan.

That's the "Who Dat?" chant.

"Who Dat?

Who Dat?

Who Dat Say Dey Gon' Beat 'Dem Saints?

Who Dat!?"

A-ha.

Nice. Now you have me saying it over and over in my head as I sit here in class.

• soooo, did they overdub cheers when G.H.B. came out for the coin toss? As soon as the on field mics came on it went from cheers to boos immediately.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Please excuse this repost...

It was really nice to see the Superdome come alive last night. Wow, did the Saints play over their heads for the occasion or what?

I feel like I grew up in that building. My dad was a port engineer for Lykes and a machine shop that he would often contract for jobs always seemed to set him up with any tickets he ever could have wanted.

Here are some of the things that I was able to enjoy from the years of 1976 to 1984 at the Dome:

Tommy Myers return a Fran Tarkenton pass 97 yards for a touchdown in a Saints win over the Vikings.

Bear Bryant win back-to-back national championships with wins over Woody Hayes-led Ohio State and Joe Paterno-led Penn State.

John Elway dumping passes off to Darrin Nelson in a Stanford game against Tulane.

Tulane beat LSU not just once, but twice in football. At one of these games, fans from both teams stormed the field before kick-off in order to create human tunnels for the players to run through from their locker rooms. Both goalposts were torn down in the process.

Medowlark Lemon and Curly Neil leading the Harlem Globetrotters over the Washington Generals.

Ron ???Louisiana Lightning??? Guidry pitching for the New York Yankees in am exhibition game.

Herschel Walker and the Georgia Bulldogs win a national championship with a win over Notre Dame.

Bob ???Hurricane??? Hannah leading his Yamaha team to a Supercross victory.

LSU winning regional semi-final and regional final games against Arkansas and Wichita State to move on to the Final 4 match-up with Isiah Thomas???s Indiana squad.

John Ehret High School???s mighty Tyrone Mitchell-to-Tyrone Vaughns connection, bolstered by future pro LSU-star and Green Bay Packer Norman Jefferson, take a playoff game.

A college basketball semi-final game pitting Michael Jordan, James Worthy and Sam Perkins of North Carolina against Akeem Olajuwan and Clyde Drexler of the University of Houston.

Earl Campbell taking handoffs from Ken Stabler on a Saints team coached by Bum Phillips.

Dan Marino pulling a last minute comeback with a touchdown pass to John Brown against Georgia.

Joe Paterno win his first national championship on a last minute touchdown pas from Todd Blackledge to Gregg Garrity.

Marching on the field as part of the Holy Cross band when I was in 7th grade as our high school football team met West Jeff in a playoff match-up that ended 35-32 in West Jeff???s favor.

Bo Jackson???s Auburn barely squeaking by Michigan 9-7.

The absolutely incredible Southern University and St. Augustine High School bands perform countless times.

Extra Superdome-sized ???who dat???s??? go out to Reggie Regginelli, Roch Hontas, Alton Alexis, Nickie Hall, Robert Griffin, Ed Murray , Archie Manning, Wes Chandler, Kenny Bordelon, Guido Merkins, Johnny Poe, George Rogers, Morten Anderson, my old Saints running-buddy Bret, and of course my dad for making it all happen.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I heard some dudes on the radio this morning insinuating that putting so much on the opening of a stadium when many neighborhhods still haven't even been cleared of debris as a sign that NOLA has its priorities out of whack.

While part of me agrees wholeheartedly...I'd rather individual families get that FEMA money that was spent resurrecting the Dome...I'm not sure that those speaking on it realize how much NOLA is dependent on tourism to carry its economy.

I will say that christening the event with only a teaser of real NOLA music, only to be supplanted by that extreme bullshit set of crap put forth by Green Day and U2 was not the way to go.

Y'all do realize that U2 has clearly become the favored band of the New World Order. It's like after every major tragedy, there's Bono to usher in a new corporate era of carpetbaggeury.

At least they did have Irma Thomas, Allen Toussaint, and the Southern University band to even that shit out a bit.