congrats to ODub (waxpo related)

On_the_Red_ClayOn_the_Red_Clay 1,728 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Finally![/b] Can't wait to read this while playing some Bataan.

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Did I miss the discussion on the Parliafunkadelicment issue?

It's refreshing to read full interviews with OG bandmates, even if it does get into Clinton's ass about how shady he ended up being.

Great issue! I should probably get another copy for save keeping.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Finally![/b]

Can't wait to read this while playing some Bataan.

Hell yes. And Azymuth too? I'll definitley be picking this up.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts

• Baltimore Club!?!

"Oh in-DEED."

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Coooooooool.

I didn't know Bataan was going to make the cover.

Big thanks to our very own Faux Rillz who braved the journey to Mt. Vernon to help collect a lot of the archival photos direct from Joe himself.

Faux - was that cover photo one of ones you brought back?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Coooooooool.

Big thanks to our very own Faux Rillz who braved the journey to Mt. Vernon to help collect a lot of the archival photos direct from Joe himself.

No, I think that one must have come from the eMusica people.

Among the ones I retrieved that made the cut:

*The B&W one of Joe with his first band ~1965

*The one of Joe at the piano performing at a BX club ~1968

*A shot of Joe with Hector Lavoe in PR ~1969

*Joe in Europe during the Rap-O-Clap-O era

However, I was disappointed not to see what I thought was the single coolest photo I brought back: Joe at nine years old hanging out in Spanish Harlem with his first duet partner, another kid from the neighborhood, with whom he formed "The Singing Fools"

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Baltimore Club!?!

"Oh in-DEED."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you the one who not more than a week ago had no idea what Baltimore Club was?

-e

Baltimore Club!?!

"Oh in-DEED."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you the one who not more than a week ago had no idea what Baltimore Club was?

-e

Hipsterbagguer?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Baltimore Club!?!

"Oh in-DEED."

-e

He's excited to learn about it!

Coooooooool.

No, I think that one must have come from the eMusica people.

Among the ones I retrieved that made the cut:

*The B&W one of Joe with his first band ~1965

*The one of Joe at the piano performing at a BX club ~1968

*A shot of Joe with Hector Lavoe in PR ~1969

*Joe in Europe during the Rap-O-Clap-O era

However, I was disappointed not to see what I thought was the single coolest photo I brought back: Joe at nine years old hanging out in Spanish Harlem with his first duet partner, another kid from the neighborhood, with whom he formed "The Singing Fools"

Bummer - that sounded like a great photo, would have loved to see it.

• Baltimore Club!?!

"Oh in-DEED."

-e

yes.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I have to admit that I am so uninterested in anything "Baltimore club" right now and it saddens me to feel this way.

However I'm super psyched about this issue. The Bataan article I'm sure is gonna be dope.

• does the article cover the recent joe bataan album?

• great work,
    I look forward to it...

and to him in about three weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!latin soul down unda could it be true?!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    who wrote the club article?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Cotdamn, I just bought the PFunk ish this week

Its still bimonthly, right?

Just glad to have a shop around here carrying it again... but then again I'm the only one who bought one of four copies of the last issue, maybe they won't.

does the article cover the recent joe bataan album?

I touched on it, yes. It's not super indepth about it but we discuss how he ended up getting hooked up with the producer and what not.

• Did I miss the discussion on the Parliafunkadelicment issue?

It's refreshing to read full interviews with OG bandmates, even if it does get into Clinton's ass about how shady he ended up being.

Great issue! I should probably get another copy for save keeping.

On my recent vacation I brought this issue along and read it bit by bit throughout, and its one of the more engrossing issues I've read of WP. Talking to so many different bandmembers from all the different eras shed so much light on the overall picture and made me go back and listen a little differently to the music putting it all into context. The Bernie Worrell interview in particular was great, I had no idea how much of a role he had played in the production and arrangements of everything and how he had tied it all together into songs instead of just jam sessions.

But yeah congrats O! Gonna pick this new one up for sure, always dug Azymuth as well as Bataan.