Graphic Designs of the 70s.

darendaren 28 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Sorry, this ain't a picture post (unless you want to contribute).I was flippin through my old Wax Poetics issue that had an article on Blaxploitation promotional cards. This got me thinking: Who makes the the layout and the type and all that funky junk? This lead me to wonder of graphic designers in those haydays that have made some classic covers, but largely go uncredited. There's a few that are recognized, like the dude who did a great portion of CTI records that was featured in another Wax Poetics back issue, but really, I can't find anything on the various Blaxploitation flicks or funk/soul album cover greats. Can anyone help me out? I'm hoping I'm not looking hard enough or I'm looking in the wrong places.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    BLAXPLOITATION

This is how I got to Soulstrut.

• you might also be interested in checking out the works of Ronald Clyne and Saul Bass

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    you might also be interested in checking out the works of Ronald Clyne and Saul Bass

Two legends for sure, also check out Milton Glaser, one of the best Graphic Designers ever!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    you might also be interested in checking out the works of Ronald Clyne and Saul Bass

Two legends for sure, also check out Milton Glaser, one of the best Graphic Designers ever!

In case there are people who have not realized it yet, Dylan's hair says Elvis. this was included in a greatest hits lp.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

In case there are people who have not realized it yet, Dylan's hair says Elvis. this was included in a greatest hits lp.

Elvis yeah right! Looks like someone took a little to much acid back in the day...
    Oh my god, I see it now! Trip out maaaannnnn....

• nice thread, how bout some more pics posted?

tryin to dig sometin up after work tonight...

how about 70s urban-ish (yikes) art in general?

or are u lookin for.....

"70's URBANISH" enuff 4 u.

how about 70s urban-ish (yikes) art in general?

• One of the dopest things about graphic designers in the early 70's was that they created logos and fonts by hand. Now that's some real shit.

• BOB PEAK.

• i think some of them folks were just coming of a really long trip and puttin down what they saw as they saw it.

sugar shack is classic tho, i remeber when JIMMY walker brought it out in Good times.

jimmy guitar watson had a really great cover too where he and his dog are on the couch and his chicks where on the floor that was wild.

im diggin that elvis one and im not an elvis fan

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    if you wanna borrow my milton glaser book, come over DARN

• how about 70s urban-ish (yikes) art in general?

Who does these paintings???

• you might also be interested in checking out the works of Ronald Clyne and Saul Bass

Word Seymour Chwast is ill too..my pops went to school and worked with both these cats so i was lucky enough to see alot of their work and spend time at push pin studios..classic isht