Sharon Jones... Ever Heard of Her?

2»

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Budos is the Dapkings guitar player's band. Out of Staten Island. Apparently they are all school teachers so they have trouble touring excpet on break. Their record kicks ass.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    MS. Sharon Jones. One of the only things that I would rush to LA to go see. The music is soo good. I overlook that there's usually maybe only a few other black people who went to see them. Well, hope we have good luck with trying to get in.

peace

- spidey

Went to the show last night and shit was fantastic. My girl and I danced like we was sweatin to the oldies. Spidey and his peoples all were putting it down, one of them jumped up on stage with Sharon and that shit set the precedent for the night.

Also saw Troubleman at the show reppin with his girl.

if y'all got issues with white folks dancing than last nights show wasn't for you, for folks that actually care about seeing an entertaining performance and don't really care about the ethnic/ social make-up of the crowd than you shouldn't miss this show.

SEE THIS SHIT!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Just saw them as well at their 45 release gig in brooklyn which was off the charts . They are absolutely amazing and shred some seriously heavy afro-funk that is totally in a league of its own. I can't recommend them enough. They are just straight up lethal on record and live.

I DJed at this (Hi Lewis!) and had to pick my face off the floor about half a dozen times. Best show I've seen so far and they've had some good ones this summer. Next show Oct 6 in BK $5

• My girl and I danced like we was sweatin to the oldies.

if y'all got issues with white folks dancing than last nights show wasn't for you, for folks that actually care about seeing an entertaining performance and don't really care about the ethnic/ social make-up of the crowd than you shouldn't miss this show.

SEE THIS SHIT!

Fa real. My contact lenses were bugging me the entire day, so I took them out, and as such...I didn't see shit for the entire night. What I did see, however was some incredible dancing. Spidey and his crew came correct.......... and I've never seen Guzzo dance before, but after seeing him and his new lady friend cut the dancefloor up, I can safely say that dude was moving matrix style!!!!!!!!

• My girl and I danced like we was sweatin to the oldies.

SEE THIS SHIT!

Fa real. My contact lenses were bugging me the entire day, so I took them out, and as such...I didn't see shit for the entire night. What I did see, however was some incredible dancing. Spidey and his crew came correct.......... and I've never seen Guzzo dance before, but after seeing him and his new lady friend cut the dancefloor up, I can safely say that dude was moving matrix style!!!!!!!!

Meh - where were you two then. I was cutting a rug with the missus somewhat closer to the bar than you guys.

• the downside of having a crack band and a killer live show is surely going to be watching people dance, but the alternative is crickets right? so i guess bad dancers is truly the only way.

especially at the Fonda theater. holy shit! what kind of weirdos show up at that place? when i saw Alton Ellis and a large ska review there i noticed this crazy hippie dude in the crowd. he was 5 10", long thinning hair, wire rim round glasses , black longsleeve shirt with white arms, shirt reads "ska" and appears to be homemade, skin tight white pants, black and white checkered slip on vans.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    In terms of whats worse:

Jerkoff hipsters > hippy shuffle

I can't hate people for looking foolish as hell. That's like projecting white shame. At least their trying. However, these pricks who come because they think it's cool, but then talk through the whole show should just stand outside and smoke cigarrets. They'll save $20.

Yeah seriously,
    at a funk gig, its FAR MORE to NOT dance, than to dance badly.

I mean, fair enough, it's horrible to watch someone danceing badly, but its even worse when a person is just standing there in the middle of people dancing, like a fucking stick in the mud. I mean, if you don't wanna dance at the show, go home and stick your headphones on!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    My girl and I danced like we was sweatin to the oldies.

SEE THIS SHIT!

Coming to California from Vegas, I often feel like we're the distant cousins that you only see on Christmas. Besides the parking, and the traffic, and the me being broke. I had a real amazing time. Binky and the Dk's did not dissapoint, and I really hope that they record that slowed down version of Tighten Up. Sharon Jones really was like a beacon of sunshine, even dragging my friend Badnoozbear on stage with her. Talk about a freaking deer in headlights. Also, after the show being able to talk with most of the band like actual people. You just don't get shows like that anymore. I didn't get a drink spilled on me, or in an argument with anybody because of my afro blocking the stage. It was just spot on the whole time. Guzzo and his girl made me feel like family. We even got our own dance circle(not quite a soul train line, but sufficient).

Troubleman, it was real good to meet you for the first time. You seem like real good peeps. You'll definitely get a call next time I come around. Show me how I can order one of those belts!!!

Ad*m I could not for the life of me remember those directions. Did it happen to be Canter's on Fairfax across the street from Labcabin? We spent most of Thursday and Friday at the lab, and Supreme (where we met Bun B), and those spots. I really wanted to get to eat there, next time I come to town I will most definitely check it out.

I'm home now with a bunch of new records, bitter cause I missed the Buena Park record show. After the show we ended up checking out Soulsessions at the Jazz club in Chinatown. That was like another breath of fresh air, I was exhausted, but couldn't keep myself from the dancefloor. Oh, and eating at Tommy's alway's a treat.

I hope you guys get a chance to plan a trip and come see a First Friday here in town. It's well worth it to come see The Getback and the new Record store. I'll be spinning and 8-bits will be too. Also, I think I convinced Miles from breakestra to have them come down around december for First Friday, and the Dapkings to play here in the Spring's First Friday. Well, if those happen I'll let you all know.

peace.

- spidey

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Coming to California from Vegas, I often feel like we're the distant cousins that you only see on Christmas. Besides the parking, and the traffic, and the me being broke. I had a real amazing time. Binky and the Dk's did not dissapoint, and I really hope that they record that slowed down version of Tighten Up. Sharon Jones really was like a beacon of sunshine, even dragging my friend Badnoozbear on stage with her. Talk about a freaking deer in headlights. Also, after the show being able to talk with most of the band like actual people. You just don't get shows like that anymore. I didn't get a drink spilled on me, or in an argument with anybody because of my afro blocking the stage. It was just spot on the whole time. Guzzo and his girl made me feel like family. We even got our own dance circle(not quite a soul train line, but sufficient).

guess what dude, you are family. Consider yourself the distant cousin that I only see on Rosh Hashana

We'll get some Cantors next time your in town. Hopefully by then my apartment will be set up right and I can set y'all up for the night. My girl and I were talking about making that October trip, depending on the finances we should be out there soon.

Greg:[/b] All us ragtag strutters were up in the center front getting our dance on. we gotta synchronize the next time

• Greg:[/b] All us ragtag strutters were up in the center front getting our dance on. we gotta synchronize the next time

We hit the Blue Palms bar at 7.30pm, moved into the Music Box for 8.15pm and stood probably 30 feet directly behind you.....just wasn't looking out for the surliest.

And then we partied at The Bullet Club in the Hear Gallery.....sweet night.

....next time, surely.

• WYPWYP 28 Posts
    Jinx loves shit on his cock. Heard he turns his pecker into a devil dog every year at the Glory Hole booth at the Folsom Street Fair.