CAT POWER: HATT IT OR LUV IT? NO GUNIT, JUST RR

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
yay or nay?I says yay. All the way. Deal.

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    she's decent, but that crying on stage shit is weak.

I think a lot of dudes like her because they want to chitty chitty bang bang.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

http://video.on.nytimes.com/ifr_main.jsp...1469.2352445032

can't front
    she is more hip hop than most

deal

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    "what would the community think" is still my fave...

"wild is the wind" (off the covers lp) is still my fave...

gush

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I thought You Are Free was an incredible record. But this last one really disappointed me.

I thought You Are Free was an incredible record. But this last one really disappointed me.

really?
    I fukin love the new one.

• "what would the community think" is still my fave...

It's a great album.

I like Moonpix too, I wasn't very impressed with The Greatest though, apart from the single.

"Names" is one of my favourite tracks too.

So yes, I like her.

• "what would the community think"
    It's a great album.

I like Moonpix too.

Alot of old school Cat Power fans dont like her new stuff, but i think the Greatest and You Are Free are her best records.

And she's definitely cute as hell!

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

i've been down with her music since around the time 'what would the community think' came out... but never happened upon her pictures or videos.
    that nytimes video just now made me appreciate how pretty she is. wow. serious crush material.

THE GREATEST IS FUCKING AWESOME. i really can't see how someone could hatte
    "LIVING PROOF" specially

we need an emo-version of for chan. something like :i'd caress:

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    ima have to give a big fat nay on this one. my friend made me listen to a bunch of her songs on the drive up to NY last weekend and i about went crazy.

i generally like pretty fast, aggresive music when i am driving. this shit sounded like some sitting around with a candle lit and a joint sparked chilling with a lady friend type shit. i don't really do that that often.

maybe i should give it another shot if you guys are liking it so much...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

i've been down with her music since around the time 'what would the community think' came out... but never happened upon her pictures or videos.
    that nytimes video just now made me appreciate how pretty she is. wow. serious crush material.

I kinda thought that vid would have the opposite effect... seems like the kinda chick only the junkie-type could love

I started listening to her around What Would the Community Think too and have to give her props for consistently putting out excellent music for 10+ years and continuing to evolve in what seems like an honest and not fabricated manner.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I like her stuff, the last couple albums especially, I've never been
    inclined to pick any up or listen to it on the regular.
    She used to be a semi-regular guest at the hotel where
    I worked in Seattle. I will say she is super cool in person...
    Scatterbarained couture hippy type who seemed
    like she was on pills most of the time, not wasted
    just really shiny happy, naw mean.
    She'd bring us presents, especially CD's to play at the
    front desk...
    She was certainly the most genuine "famous" person
    I've ever run into.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

I kinda thought that vid would have the opposite effect... seems like the kinda chick only the junkie-type could love

she's very pretty. i think any type of person would find that appealing
    that said, the title 'junkie-type' may apply to me

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    my brother hipped me to her several years back. moonpix & you are free get the most spins from me.

but, i always kinda took her theatrics on stage as some weird attention deficit disorder...but given the NYT piece i guess she was battling some other demons.

'cross bones style' has always resonated with me.

speaking of which...check out this[/b] hippy-dippy video for that song....i think i may actually like it less now.

and to solidify my brosephness....i'd

Chan.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i can get with some stuff and think she has a nice voice but i don't see how these "devoted fans" can listen to this shit all the time without commiting suicide or something

i had "the greatest" on my work playlist and some scary looking girl started talking to me about cat power so i deleted it