Why is this record here?

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Weirdest find for me was a mint OG Jackie Mittoo Keyboard King LP in a pile of easy listening records at a Georgetown yard sale. There were no other reggae records (and no soul or jazz for that mattter.

Comments

• FELIX GRANT
    Felix Grant (1918 to 1993) was a disk jockey who specialized in jazz during a long career (1945 to 1993) on the radio in Washington, D.C. In addition to playing records, he was distinguished for his many interviews with performers. Many of those interviews were recorded and are now retained in the Felix E. Grant Collection, held at the University of the District of Columbia[1]. The collection also includes many other materials collected by Grant during his nearly 50 year career on the radio. ???Access to the digital audio files in this collection is restricted to registered patrons in good standing of institutions that are members of the Washington Research Library Consortium.???
    Grant is also generally accepted as the person who introduced Brazilian music (primarily bossa nova) to the US community of performers and listeners. See, for example, C. McGowan and R. Pessamba, "The Billboard Book of Brazilian Music, page 8, published by Guinness, 1991.
    His other credits included Brazil's highest award, the Order of the Southern Cross; recognition from the DC government, including plaques, proclamations, and the designation of Felix Grant Day in 1985; and the naming for him of a music-radio library at the University of Jamaica. He was chairman of the Brazilian-American Cultural Institute and president of Partners of Brasilia. He established the Felix E. Grant Scholarship Fund at UDC.

patron saint of ja jazz

• Many of those interviews were recorded and are now retained in the Felix E. Grant Collection, held at the University of the District of Columbia[1]. The collection also includes many other materials collected by Grant during his nearly 50 year career on the radio. ???Access to the digital audio files in this collection is restricted to registered patrons in good standing of institutions that are members of the Washington Research Library Consortium.???

That's a relief. When UDC's jazz station (Jazz 90) switched to an all C-Span format (only in DC) a few years back I wondered what would become of Grant's donation. No we just have to wait for UDC to go down and have a big sale!

• Many of those interviews were recorded and are now retained in the Felix E. Grant Collection, held at the University of the District of Columbia[1]. The collection also includes many other materials collected by Grant during his nearly 50 year career on the radio. ???Access to the digital audio files in this collection is restricted to registered patrons in good standing of institutions that are members of the Washington Research Library Consortium.???

That's a relief. When UDC's jazz station (Jazz 90) switched to an all C-Span format (only in DC) a few years back I wondered what would become of Grant's donation. No we just have to wait for UDC to go down and have a big sale!

i think some of the stuff also went to the u of wi in kingston ja
    (ie the vinyl ?)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I used to listen to Grant in the early 70s. He played jazz in a top 40 format kinda way. I think he was on 5 days a week back then.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Weirdest find for me was a mint OG Jackie Mittoo Keyboard King LP in a pile of easy listening records at a Georgetown yard sale. There were no other reggae records (and no soul or jazz for that mattter.

It was there because it was keyboard instrumentals, just like Jesse Crawford.

In 1991 I was at a record show. At the end of the day 5:00 I looked through the collection of the guy next to me. The entire collection was from a guy who bought 3 for a dollar at Woolworths, taped them and put them away. All easy listening and pop vocals. Low And Behold I find Meters 1st on Josie! One Dollar, thank you very much.