Lee Morgan "rakin and scrapin"

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
theres a Lee Morgan LP on trip with this tune. I know all Trip stuff has been previously released, but I cannot figure out what the OG is that this is on? Is it a Lee title or a title where he is a sideman? I should know this, but it is buggin' the shit outta me...thanks in advance.Hot ass tune BTW.

Comments

• It was apparently written by pianist Harold Mabern, but I can't find Morgan on an session where it was recorded (Big John Patton recorded it as well).

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I dont know the answer to your question, but it seems like the right thread to bring up another one - I've had a cassette of Morgan's called The Rajah which I haven't been able to find in any other format since (never mind cassette again) and my tape has been worn down. Anyone know anything about it, plans for a reissue, etc? (admittedly I haven't looked very hard lately)

• Thats's a Harold Mabern tune I believe on the lp "Rakin and Scrapin" Prestige.

• I dont know the answer to your question, but it seems like the right thread to bring up another one - I've had a cassette of Morgan's called The Rajah which I haven't been able to find in any other format since (never mind cassette again) and my tape has been worn down. Anyone know anything about it, plans for a reissue, etc?

from AllMusic:

This long-lost Lee Morgan session was not released for the first time until it was discovered in the Blue Note vaults by Michael Cuscuna in 1984; it has still not been reissued on CD. Originals by Cal Massey, Duke Pearson ("Is That So") and Walter Davis, in addition to a couple of surprising pop tunes ("What Not My Love" and "Once in My Lifetime") and Morgan's title cut, are well-played by the quintet (which includes the trumpeter/leader, Hank Mobley on tenor, pianist Cedar Walton, bassist Paul Chambers and drummer Billy Higgins). Much of the music is reminiscent of The Jazz Messengers and that may have been the reason that it was lost in the shuffle for Morgan was soon investigating modal-oriented tunes. Despite its neglect, this is a fine session that Lee Morgan and hard bop fans will want.

• this one seems to have that track on it ...
    never heard this one played by lee morgan but the harold mabern one is actually great !

• thanks Larry...I guess I am gonna grab this Trip LP...only 4 bucks for this goodness. The tune is 13 minutes long and never lets up.

• this one seems to have that track on it ...
    never heard this one played by lee morgan but the harold mabern one is actually great !
    thats the trip LP I am talking about

• 1970-06-00 ? Lee Morgan Quintet

Lee Morgan (tp), Bennie Maupin (ts/fl/b-cl), Harold Mabern (p), Jymie Merritt (ampeg-b), Mickey Roker (ds), "Both/And", San Fransisco, June?, 1970

[ 1] Willow Weep For Me (A.Ronell) (1)(2)(3)(7)
    [ 2] Peyote (Morgan) (1)(2)(3)(7)
    [ 3] Speedball (Morgan) (1)(2)(3)(7)
    [ 4] Meo Felia (Morgan) (2)(7)
    [ 5] Ujimma (3)(7)
    [ 6] Ceora (Morgan) (4)(7) **
    [ 7] Ceora (Morgan) (3)(7) **
    [ 8] Speedball (Morgan) (4)(7)
    [ 9] Umjanna (Morgan) (5)(6)(7)
    [10] Rakin' And Scrapin' (H.Mabern) (4)(6)(7)
    [11] Something Like This (H.Mabern) (7)

only "umjanna" and "rakin' and scrapin'" figure on the LP "a date with lee morgan"