clearing shit out and loving it

ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
I just cleaned out about 250 mostly hip-hop and breaks related 12"s today and I feel great. Time to stop pretending I DJ this shit out. Keeping maybe 100 hip-hop 12" and LPs I really like. I am not a big hip-hop guy. Watch for enjoy label & medium priced random rap on ebay (paul c-related, pricey florida electro sex jams). LL cool J 12"s and dookie condition soul jazz goes to my local store.... don't forget to pick up port authority and grab bag presents audio directions!!! I could loose another few hundred pretty painlessly tho. I have a lot of mid-90s electronic music I might just ship off to a friend of mine who still listens to it. Tired of looking at it. Am I a sell out?? I just can't deal with 2000+ records any more.

Comments

• nice. i'm in the process of selling about 90% of my CDs, and the cleansing bug has spread to my LPs, I've found a bunch of those I don't need/never listen to. Feels good to lighten the load every once in awhile.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    At this point with collecting, I'm more into getting rid of stuff then getting more yaoming?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i stopped listening years ago.

i just drive all over town hoping to find some $10+ record for $1.

yeah!

then i clean it, file it and forget about it.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I am going the opposite direction....I am picking up the same Alice Cooper-Love It To Death wherever I find them and keeping them all. It helps me sleep nights knowing they are stacked up downstairs.

• nice. i'm in the process of selling about 90% of my CDs, and the cleansing bug has spread to my LPs, I've found a bunch of those I don't need/never listen to. Feels good to lighten the load every once in awhile.

Word CDs are another thing I need to ditch a load of promos my local store won't touch. Who wants some DJ Vadim shit??? WARP promos with no jewelbox? All this has gotta go.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I am going the opposite direction....

so you're buying $1 records for $10 off eBay and actually listening to them?

the nerve.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    buy it, file it and forget about it.
    So sad but this pretty much is my modus operandi at the moment.

• i recently sold off about 1400 records within the last 2 months or so. i was struggling with the thought of letting them go for months because i thought i "need" them.

hell no.

i made roughly double of what i paid for most of them, freed up storage space, and basically just feeling great knowing that i'm able to let go of records.

• buy it, file it and forget about it.

what about those of us who are playing out regularly? i switch up
    my bag weekly and eventually tunes lose their spot in the rotation.
    Anybody just clearing out tunes to make coin for new shit to
    drop at gigs?

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I'm into selling shit you don't play to be able to buy shit that you want to play.

• I sold off a few hundred albums I had absolutely no need for a few months back and it felt great. I have a bunch of stuff I've bought for potential sale on eBay that really aren't worth anything and are spotty at best on eBay so I'm probably going to dump a bunch of those before too long. I should be getting a job soon and after that my own place and goddamn does moving records suck so I'm going to get rid of any superfluous stuff I only have around to try and sell. I used to be all about taking any and all records I could find. If they were free I took them, no questions asked. Now I'm all about quality over quantity so I'd rather have a smaller number of gems that I'll listen to than a few thousand mediocre records.

There seems to be a general trend amongst a lot of people these days to declutter their lives and get rid of stuff they don't need. I've really started enjoying just getting rid of things that have just sat around gathering dust for years, things I've kept "just in case I need them", which I never do. I used to collect all kinds of old magazines and such and I started dumping all those. I've had a grip of old electronics around that I never ever use and I've started getting rid of all that. I had 3 or 4 Walkmen in a drawer...I haven't used a Walkman in over a decade! And speaking of the Walkman, I've gotten rid of a few hundred cassettes that have been sitting under my bed unplayed for 15 years. Ahh, the joy of getting rid of crap I don't need.

• I just deleted all my mp3's.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    I just deleted all my mp3's.

• i stopped listening years ago.

i just drive all over town hoping to find some $10+ record for $1.

yeah!

then i clean it, file it and forget about it.

Weird

let me know what u are selling (cds + vinyl)...on the PM tip

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    A while ago I went through my entire collection and was going to purge over 1,000 records. I actually needle skipped through all the soul/jazz/funk stuff to see whether I still wanted it. I was going to take it down to the local Amoeba for cash and trade. Then I got lazy and only sold a couple hundred. Now I have shelves devoted just to records that I don't want but am too lazy to sell!

• A while ago I went through my entire collection and was going to purge over 1,000 records. I actually needle skipped through all the soul/jazz/funk stuff to see whether I still wanted it. I was going to take it down to the local Amoeba for cash and trade. Then I got lazy and only sold a couple hundred. Now I have shelves devoted just to records that I don't want but am too lazy to sell!

You know what my problem is? It's not that I'm too lazy to sell stuff, it's that I've got a bunch of stuff I paid anywhere from $2-4 for that won't sell on eBay, and I know if I sell it back to the shop I bought it all from I'm going to get like 25 cents on the dollar of what I paid to begin with. I'd rather just give it away free to somebody who might actually listen to it and enjoy it than sell it back for peanuts and let them make money off it all twice.

• Yall should come to London. The prices here are so inflated you really come off just clearing off shelf space. I made nearly $300 off a half a crate of records Sunday only a handful of which were really rare( not that I brought em all from the US, there's always come ups ), I'm gonna do it again next Sunday, I AM "clearing shit out and loving it".

• Yall should come to London. The prices here are so inflated you really come off just clearing off shelf space. I made nearly $300 off a half a crate of records Sunday only a handful of which were really rare( not that I brought em all from the US, there's always come ups ), I'm gonna do it again next Sunday, I AM "clearing shit out and loving it".

Pretty much the same here in Aus, you can make decent money, and move shit quick because so many shops/dealers are WAY over priced here.

• I'm into selling shit you don't play to be able to buy shit that you want to play.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    I just deleted all my mp3's.

NEVAR THAT SUN...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    what's up with this kind of "losing record weight" threads?

What does this say about the SS collective? I don't want to sell my records. I have 5 Frank Sinatra Greatest Hits and I don't care. They are mine, they are quite and the don't ask for food. They are staying with me.

Stop this madness, hold on to your records.

• what's up with this kind of "losing record weight" threads?

What does this say about the SS collective? I don't want to sell my records. I have 5 Frank Sinatra Greatest Hits and I don't care. They are mine, they are quite and the don't ask for food. They are staying with me.

Between this, and the new lack of confidence in finds posts, I am quite worried about the future of collecting as we know it.

• what's up with this kind of "losing record weight" threads?

What's up with this is I'll be damned if I see the point in hauling around 5000+ LPs when I move, especially ones that I never listen to and only have because I got them free to begin with. What's the point in hauling around old Kingston Trio albums or Barry Manilow albums? I'm over the fascination of owning as many records as humanly possible, now I only want to own the ones I'll actually listen to and enjoy. Having the Al Hirt catalog wouldn't really do much for me. Maybe they don't ask for food but they sure as hell take up space that could be better used for other things. Until I move into my mansion space is most likely going to be at a premium and 1000 albums I'll never EVER listen to are a waste of space, not to mention an additional 500 pounds of shit I'll have to lug around everytime I move.

• old Kingston Trio albums or Barry Manilow albums

ew.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

• A while ago I went through my entire collection and was going to purge over 1,000 records. I actually needle skipped through all the soul/jazz/funk stuff to see whether I still wanted it. I was going to take it down to the local Amoeba for cash and trade. Then I got lazy and only sold a couple hundred. Now I have shelves devoted just to records that I don't want but am too lazy to sell!

You know what my problem is? It's not that I'm too lazy to sell stuff, it's that I've got a bunch of stuff I paid anywhere from $2-4 for that won't sell on eBay, and I know if I sell it back to the shop I bought it all from I'm going to get like 25 cents on the dollar of what I paid to begin with. I'd rather just give it away free to somebody who might actually listen to it and enjoy it than sell it back for peanuts and let them make money off it all twice.

yard/stoop/garage sale

• Just found out this gee & jay 12" I have on MOB records is worth $$$.

I am pocketing the profit after buying the sloppy white mixes that have it featured on it.

Shit is real!!! real profitable like.

• You know what my problem is? It's not that I'm too lazy to sell stuff, it's that I've got a bunch of stuff I paid anywhere from $2-4 for that won't sell on eBay, and I know if I sell it back to the shop I bought it all from I'm going to get like 25 cents on the dollar of what I paid to begin with. I'd rather just give it away free to somebody who might actually listen to it and enjoy it than sell it back for peanuts and let them make money off it all twice.

Feeling this: insert pic of that weeded out college kid. You know the one.

Maybe I'll just take shit out and sneak records INTO peoples sell piles. I've had this fantasy for a while now, maybe it's time to act on it.