UNRELEASED SOUNDTRACKS ????

HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
A few days ago I saw "Three Tough Guys" with Isaac Hayes and Lino Ventura.When I watchted the film as usual I kept an ear for the musics and there where whole songs that are not on the OST and alternative versions of songs that are on the OST.Other examples are the TV show of "Shaft". It had a very good soundtrack that never appeared on any medium. It is the same with "Streets of San Francisco", Starsky & Hutch and many more series.This music must be in some archives, does anyone of you know people who got acess to those archives ???PeaceHawkeye

Comments

• With second name Timberlake or C(r)osby, someone with the key will give it to you .. I'm sure .. the raers are available ..

• there is something called library records too, sermad have them .. ask him! He's in London .. top chap!

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    holy shit man! i've been thinking the exact same shit about soundtracks the past few days. there are so many amazing scores that were never released on record...like:
    baretta=dave grusin (why?...i'll never know. this show was super popular and had an incredible score!)
    The perfect killer=stelvio cipriani (easily the toughest/funkiest italian gangster film score.)
    black belt jones=dennis coffey (yeah there is the 45 but...c'mon! and fuck a re-issue.)
    etc...
    good post man!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Two that come to mind:

Manfred Mann - "Venus In Furs/Paroximus"

A bootleg apparently exists, but I've never heard or seen it. No official release. As far as I remember it's a killer score, including two great vocal tracks by Barbara McNair. I need to cop that DVD.

Quincy Jones - "The Getaway"

A 45 with the love theme exists, but to my knowledge there's no full-length Quincy O.S.T. The original score by Jerry Fielding, which was rejected by Steve McQueen at the last minute, has since been released. Haven't heard that one - any good?

• I say one one film "THE SPLIT" Quincy Jones

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    some very rare and obscure soundtracks were indeed released as libraries (hawkeye: there's even a library version of schulm??dchen report and fluchtweg st. pauli), but most music must have been coming from master tapes or reel-to-reels. most of the eastern german soundtracks for cop show series have never been released officially, but have been compiled by those german dudes. crippled dick, maybe? i can't remember. i guess it's just like with any other reissue. either you find someone with original master tapes or you copy that stuff from another bootleg, promo or minor release. some radio shows had great music, probably played from some kind of tape. i bet some studios still have those tapes... i tried to call some studios and radio/tv stations. they won't sell anything. i think dreskieboogie still works for a tv channel. he should know more about these things...

if you really want to hear or buy some original tapes/records, maybe you should try to call the tv channels or try to contact the musicians. i called the SWR and they let me talk to the dude responsible for record storage and all music related stuff. he was pretty pissed at me, but it was fun to talk to him. he was like: "we still have every single record ever used, but we would never sell any!"

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    holy shit man! i've been thinking the exact same shit about soundtracks the past few days. there are so many amazing scores that were never released on record...like:
    baretta=dave grusin (why?...i'll never know. this show was super popular and had an incredible score!)
    The perfect killer=stelvio cipriani (easily the toughest/funkiest italian gangster film score.)
    black belt jones=dennis coffey (yeah there is the 45 but...c'mon! and fuck a re-issue.)
    etc...
    good post man!

I'm pretty sure it was Axelrod who did the Cannonball (with David Carradine) sndtrk that wasn't released.

I've seen Dave Grusin releases where he does Baretta songs, but I'm guessing you talking about an actual TV show cover / songs release.

• With second name Timberlake

this douchebag is getting closer to ruining the Stax name.... any minute now he will "bring sexy" to a legendary label and befoul it.

• i got a test pressing of the soundtrack to the mid-70's Jamaican film Smile Orange. it has a blank label and no info, but features jamaican jazz and reggae. it sounds like the Aggrovators playing. to my knowledge, it's never been released.

• TomOTomO 169 Posts
    unreleased soundtracks:
    hey, check out 'Death Wish' on film. There's an entirely different score - the rights owned by the film company presumably, so sadly it might never see the light of day. that's why the 'OST' on herbie's LP is completely re-recorded, to avoid licensing issues i guess.

why's that a big deal? watch the film and listen - snippets of 'thrust' era herbie funk, but with harvey mason on drums. YES.

and properly unreleased music - 'the spook who sat by the door OST' by herbie hancock. the crappy bootleg that came out a few years back nearly made me cry - somebody had ripped 'actual proof' straight off the thrust album and then faded it after 4min...

and how about 'charlie's angels' for another TV series with music that was never released? the only version i've got is the long disco version on P&P, and that's different from the TV score.

TomO
    www.myspace.com/tom_ogrady

• here's a reason some of these soundtracks may not get released officially: re-use fees to the musicians. the musician's union has a rule that if the music is used for a purpose other than what the session was originally designated, the musicians must be compensated for that further use. so, any company wanting to release a soundtrack has to re-pay the musicians. i'm not sure what the amount is, but i have a feeling it exceeds what they were paid for the original session. so, the larger the ensemble, the steeper the fees. this is one of the main stumbling blocks in releasing a soundtrack album for a label.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    here's a reason some of these soundtracks may not get released officially: re-use fees to the musicians. the musician's union has a rule that if the music is used for a purpose other than what the session was originally designated, the musicians must be compensated for that further use. so, any company wanting to release a soundtrack has to re-pay the musicians. i'm not sure what the amount is, but i have a feeling it exceeds what they were paid for the original session. so, the larger the ensemble, the steeper the fees. this is one of the main stumbling blocks in releasing a soundtrack album for a label.

I don't know man, I think a bigger issue would be the fact that the majors have no incentive to release this stuff! I met a guy who's worked with the labels on some soul & funk reissues, and he claims they've got LOADS of unreleased material from many of those groups but have no interest in putting any of it out... if you're talking about something that only a couple thousand people worldwide would purchase, they don't give a damn about putting any effort into getting it out there.

DIRTY HARRY did finally get an official release a couple years ago so I suppose there's always hope... but I believe it was Lalo himself who put it out

• unreleased soundtracks:
    hey, check out 'Death Wish' on film. There's an entirely different score - the rights owned by the film company presumably, so sadly it might never see the light of day. that's why the 'OST' on herbie's LP is completely re-recorded, to avoid licensing issues i guess.

why's that a big deal? watch the film and listen - snippets of 'thrust' era herbie funk, but with harvey mason on drums. YES.

and properly unreleased music - 'the spook who sat by the door OST' by herbie hancock. the crappy bootleg that came out a few years back nearly made me cry - somebody had ripped 'actual proof' straight off the thrust album and then faded it after 4min...

and how about 'charlie's angels' for another TV series with music that was never released? the only version i've got is the long disco version on P&P, and that's different from the TV score.

TomO
    www.myspace.com/tom_ogrady

i was gonna mention these herbie hancock ones as well... but just to add to the list, there's a bootleg called Herbie Hancock "The Blow Up Extra Sessions" which has nothing to do with the actual recordings of the soundtrack he did for BLOW UP. These same tracks have also been released under numerous titles such as "Jammin with Herbie Hancock", "Hot & Heavy", etc.