London Record Shops

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
ok london (uk), where are the shops that have good jazz, soul, funk selections at semi-decent prices? will be in town with my girl from saturdayb to mon if anybody wants to go for drinks or whatevr. noah

Comments

• There are tons in Soho. If you're walking towards Hyde Park on Oxford street make a left on Berwick St. and head down. You'll pass by a bunch of record stores. Keep walking and you'll hit a stone road. Hook a left there and check out Sounds of the Universe (the Soul Jazz record store). Also make sure you hit up ?? Record Exchange (I forget the exact name but it's a chain with other stores in Notting Hill and Greenwich among other places) that has some cheap finds occassionally. Also make sure you check out Phonica records on Poland St. which is one further on Oxford St. than Berwick. Finally, if you're with your girl you'll probably want to take her to Carnaby St. which is a few blocks further down on whatever street Sounds of the Universe is on. Also Camden Town has has another one of those chain record stores and people in the market occassionally have some records. Hope this helps.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I miss soho. I've never been to an area with so many record shops in such a small area. I doubt it's like that anymore. I'm sure there are still tons, but no where how it was 5+ years ago...

I also miss the days of HMV's .99 or 1.99 pound new UK 12" releases.

• Are you looking for orginal jazz, soul etc pressings, or comps? Cos most of the stuff just recommended above is pretty useless for original pressing vintage stuff.

Camden market on a Sunday is OK, but as for decent prices....err no. Have a look at Vinyl Vulture....they might still have up a store guide for London and the surrounding townships.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    This is a London's shop guide made by VinylVulture people; I don't know if it was updated.
    Anyway, it's worthy browsing it.

Good luck!

The Diggers' Guide To London

Peace

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    used to live up camden way, checked a few stores before i decided fuck this, price is way ridicolous! charity shops are you're best bet and you ain't gonna find gems in there, they got random crap all day at rock bottom prices.

• This is a London's shop guide made by VinylVulture people; I don't know if it was updated.

Good luck!

Peace

Jazzman in Camden and Reckless in Islington aren't there any more.

If there are two of you then Islington's an option: Upper Street has nice shops and cafes etc, there's Disque in Chapel Market for new stuff and reissues and five minutes walk away on Essex Road are Haggle and Flashback, two good second hand shops. Soho's disappointing for interesting originals, Camden Market's okay (freak spotting and a few vinyl spots). Spitalfields market is great for a Sunday morning mooch with quite a few stalls selling records.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This is a London's shop guide made by VinylVulture people; I don't know if it was updated.

Good luck!

Peace

That looks like it's at least two years old, so there are one or two things which need updating; the Sister Ray store next to MVC on Berwick Street is now closed, as they've taken over what used to be Selectadisc further down the street. I think Reckless in Islington is gone now as well. Rustla hasn't been down Spitalfields market for years, at least not on a Sunday, and a Zone 1 & 2 Travelcard costs ??4.90 now. Other than that, it's a pretty useful guide.

• That looks like it's at least two years old, so there are one or two things which need updating; the Sister Ray store next to MVC on Berwick Street is now closed, as they've taken over what used to be Selectadisc further down the street. I think Reckless in Islington is gone now as well. Rustla hasn't been down Spitalfields market for years, at least not on a Sunday, and a Zone 1 & 2 Travelcard costs ??4.90 now. Other than that, it's a pretty useful guide.

Daddy Kool's reggae shop in soho closed as well. they also miss out the shops in the nottinghill/ladbroke grove area. the reggae store opposite the ladbroke grove tube station has been there for over 30 years. bill allerton's shop Vinyl something-or-other is off portobello and Intoxica on portobello has a good mixed selection.

• thanks for the reccomendations guys....