Sounds Like Boogie (80s Dance Rock-related)

TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
edited March 2016 in DJ Talk / Mixes
So our weekly Saturday gig has recently undergone some format changes. It seems the hiphop was making folls too aggro, plus the doorman kept letting in a bunch Latin Kings every week. Now we're keeping it 100 bpm+ for most of the night, only playing hiphop if it's faster or more organic (sorry fans of yung joc pfft)Anyhow, in the interest on deepening our repetoire I'm trying to throw in more becky friendly 80s dance pop/rock that blends well with boogie/funk/disco..

Things like Wham - Everything She Wants, Tom Tom Club or even After the Fire - Der Commissar or to a lesser extent, Madonna - Lucky Star/Dress You Up

I know there's gotta be a few afficionados out there, plaese to name a few of your fav dance rock jawns.add on...
TAGGED:

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    How much are they paying you to sell out like that? I thought strutters were supposed to be taste makers? :brianpeppers: Take that shit underground or quit.

• inxs - need you tonight
    new order - bizarre love
    shannon - let the music play
    Hall and Oates - I can't go for that

Basically, listen to Spinbad's 80s mixes and start biting.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    kid creole - maldie d'amour
    tommy stewart - bump & hustle
    eddie kendricks - girl you need a change of mind
    andrea true connection - more more more
    berry claudja - dance dance dance
    pam todd - lets get together

annie - chewing gum (its new but im still down)

then "last call" jams

pet shop boys - west end girls
    bananarama - cruel summer
    any blondie
    the cure - close to me (or the hollertronix mashup).

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    How much are they paying you to sell out like that? I thought strutters were supposed to be taste makers? :brianpeppers: Take that shit underground or quit.

kill the noise.

fyi, many of the songs i mentioned get and got mad love from the chicago house crowd back in the early days.. magnificent seven and shit.

• Hollies - Draggin My Heels

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

kill the noise.

fyi, many of the songs i mentioned get and got mad love from the chicago house crowd back in the early days.. magnificent seven and shit.

Things like Wham - Everything She Wants, Tom Tom Club or even After the Fire - Der Commissar or to a lesser extent, Madonna - Lucky Star/Dress You Up

Come again?

I think suggesting INXS is a new low for Soulstrut. Then again, it probably isn't.

Keep it up and they'll just replace you with http://www.jackfm.com/. :niceone: !

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

kill the noise.

Come again?

I think suggesting INXS is a new low for Soulstrut. Then again, it probably isn't.

Keep it up and they'll just replace you with http://www.jackfm.com/. :niceone: !

i really don't need to get into a fight over that statement but yes it's true, wham gets love from the house crowd. inxs, not so much.. but there were plenty of 80s pop/rock jawns that got spins at the warehouse.. educate thyself.

johnny: never heard that hollies track. how's the 'sound'?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

educate thyself.

You have crushed me with irony. I'll search through my house section and see what Wham or Pet Shop Boys records I find.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    incidentaly, i have this old mixtape from stacey pullen with a pretty slamming edit of everything she wants. ill be the first to admit im for liking the song.

• johnny: never heard that hollies track. how's the 'sound'?

It's a disco classic.

educate thyself.

It has been sampled on house jams, it's been comped, it's a garage staple. Shouldn't be hard to find online (a clip I mean, the record is well rare).

• How much are they paying you to sell out like that? I thought strutters were supposed to be taste makers? :brianpeppers: Take that shit underground or quit.

kill the noise.

Come again?

i really don't need to get into a fight over that statement but yes it's true, wham gets love from the house crowd. inxs, not so much.. but there were plenty of 80s pop/rock jawns that got spins at the warehouse.. educate thyself.

johnny: never heard that hollies track. how's the 'sound'?

Dude, you said "for the beckys" (I hate that term) not "for the house heads."

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

educate thyself.

You have crushed me with irony. I'll search through my house section and see what Wham or Pet Shop Boys records I find.

ok, have fun with that.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    educate thyself.

It has been sampled on house jams, it's been comped, it's a garage staple. Shouldn't be hard to find online (a clip I mean, the record is well rare).

will do. thanks for the info!

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

Dude, you said "for the beckys" (I hate that term) not "for the house heads."

"becky-friendly" meaning tracks that can be blent well with boogie/funk/electro that have some sort of mass appeal for the ladies.

truth is, we're tryin to tread a fine line here. while sportcasual is holleuring about 'no sell out', we're attempting to ressurect a gig that had become overrun with ghetto hoods fighting and subsquently killing the night.. to me "selling out" would mean playing shit you don't personally have an affinity towards. and both verb and i both enjoy some 80s pop/rock. dudes need to stop acting like ayres didn't mash yaz and twista.

i'm certain there exists plenty of 80s jawns that get the job done without crossing into questionable territory.

thanks to everyone who has added on thus far..

• dudes need to stop acting like ayres didn't mash yaz and twista.

BTW- I personally don't see much difference between playing INXS and Madonna, except that I would be more inclined to play Need You Tonight. Neither one seems particularly suited to disco/funk sets though.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Trew, if you're talking with the management about changing the night, best believe they are also talking to other DJs/promoters about changing things in a more profound way, Better to keep it realler, you'll feel less dutty when you go looking for a more appropriate night.

Latin Kingz social hour ---> Gay Disco in 1 move? Good Luck!

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Trew, if you're talking with the management about changing the night, best believe they are also talking to other DJs/promoters about changing things in a more profound way, Better to keep it realler, you'll feel less dutty when you go looking for a more appropriate night.

Latin Kingz social hour ---> Gay Disco in 1 move? Good Luck!

although you make crazy assumptions, i'm glad we're finally on the same page..

i hear you re: owners (that's been handled, i haven't kept this gig seven years without making myself indispensible) but that's the reason for this thread. 80s ish that would mesh with boogie.. you can keep that bell & james pfft..

it's all about naahfish=>morrisbrown=>debbiedeb=>wham (yep wham)

need more add on's though, stuff like paycheck's suggestion plaese.

• Laid Back - Ride The White Horse

• iconicon 86 Posts
    Level 42 - Something About You
    Ian Dury - Spasticus Autisticus
    Chas Jankel - Glad to Know You
    Kid Creole - My Male Curiosity
    Boz Scaggs - Dirty Lowdown
    Nu Shooz - I Can't Wait

Bring on the haters.

• Laid Back - Ride The White Horse

into:

Sexual Harrasment - 'I need a freak'

into:

Kano - 'Get ready'

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    when you dis INXS, you dis yourself...

need you tonight, devil inside, what you need, listen like thieves, one thing, original sin...

are all FUCKING the shit (esp on 12").

hate me now.

Arthur Baker remix of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"

retarded

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    talking drums - courage
    sexual harassment - if i gave you a party

• Uh...
    M - Pop Muzic

Rolling Stones- Missing You 12"

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I find that I have to play a set like this quite often for three reasons.

1. Because I don't have many records
    2. Because not everyone knows and appreciates boogie heat in Australia
    3. Because this is good music and these records are readily available

The Stone Roses - Fools Gold
    Roxy Music - Love is the Drug
    M - Pop Music
    Blondie - Rapture
    Madonna - Holiday
    Ian Dury & The Blockheads - Hit Me With your Rythm Stick
    The Clash - The Magnificent Seven
    David Bowie - Lets Dance
    Oliver Newton John - Physical
    The Clash - rock the Casbah
    Queen - Another One Bites The Dust
    Nena - 99 Luft Ballons (the start is quite slow I believe)

If you need to go faster you can't go without
    Duran Duran - Girls on Film
    Human League - Don't You Want Me
    New Order - blue Monday
    Bronski Beat - Small Town Boy

• you'll never go wrong with these,

the clash 'guns of brixton'

the whispers 'rock steady'

anything by lisa lisa and the cult jam

the sequence 'funk you up'

and this : Break Mentality. Where's that shameless promo graemlin?

oh yeah,

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    ^^^I've done that set numerous times, and it works.

btw--none of this shit sounds like boogie.

more like budgie

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    mesh boogie

you rang?

many of the songs listed above.

• Funny, this weekend I got taken aside by the old codger landlord/owner of a couple of local clubs including the one where I was DJing at the time. He told me he "wasn't racist" but wanted "to make some changes" because one night the bartender of his other club went behind his back, hired a hiphop DJ, and got "a bunch of black people" in the club. Sonofsam, you know who I'm talking about: D.B.

Anyway, he was happy with what I was playing at this hipster spot (60s-70s soul/funk/freakbeat) and actually suggested having me play that sort of stuff instead of the usual top-40 hiphop at his other club. Great idea... if he wants to lose his entire crowd. Gotta love racist and completely disconnected clubowners.

To get back on topic, the next morning I went through a (picked-over) DJ collection and it was almost all the kind of stuff we're talking about. I got these for .90/each and they'd all do the trick:

Heaven 17: Penthouse & Pavement / Inst. 12??? (pic sleeve) BEF / Virgin UK
    Patrice Rushen: Forget Me Nots / Haven???t You Heard 12??? Elektra UK
    Sigue Sigue Sputnik: Love Missle F-1 12??? (pic sleeve) EMI
    Duran Duran: Planet Earth / Late Night 12??? (pic sleeve) EMI UK
    Wham: Young Guns (Go For It) / Going For It 12??? (pic sleeve) Innervision UK
    Grace Jones: Pull Up to the Bumper / Nipple to the Bottle 12??? Island
    Sylvester: Don???t Stop / Hard Up 12??? Megatone
    Teena Marie: Square Biz / Inst. 12??? (promo) Motown
    D-Train: s/t LP Prelude
    RUN-DMC: 30 Days / Inst. 12??? (promo) Profile
    Arpeggio: Love & Desire / Let The Music Play 12??? (orange vinyl) RCA Mexico
    Rolling Stones: Undercover of the Night 12??? (pic sleeve) Rolling Stones
    APB: What Kind of Girl (Are You)? 12??? Sleeping Bag
    Midnight Star: Wet My Whistle / Freak-A-Zoid / Electricity 12??? Solar UK
    Loleatta Holloway: Crash Goes Love 12??? (pic sleeve) Streetwise
    Rockers Revenge feat. Donnie Calvin:
    Dubbing In Sunshine / Sunshine, Partytime (Rap) 12??? Streetwise
    Kat Mandu: There???s Only Been A Few / The Break 12??? TK Disco
    Various: Winners of the Solar Mix Contest 12??? (pic sleeve) TSR Germany
    Shades of Love: Keep In Touch (Body to Body) / Inst. 12??? Venture
    Sparks: Number One Song In Heaven + 3 12??? (pic sleeve) Virgin UK
    Don Armando???s 2nd Ave. Rhumba Band: Deputy of Love / I???m An Indian 12??? Ze

These were some weird bootleg joints:
    Various: Special Disco Mixer: Medley of the Hits 1979 12??? JGL
    Frankie Smith: Double Dutch Bus (Disco Remix) 12??? PBI Canada
    Quadrant 6 / Bruce Johnson: Body Mechanic / Pipeline 12??? Rated X

Then some dupes for trade/sale:
    APB: Something To Believe In LP Link ----DON'T SLEEP!!!!!
    Patrick Cowley feat. Sylvester: Do Ya Wanna Funk 12??? Megatone
    Sheila E.: A Love Bizarre / short 12??? (promo) Paisley Park
    Musique: Keep On Jumpin??? LP Prelude
    RUN-DMC: Hollis Crew / Inst. 12??? (promo) Profile
    Nairobi & The Awesome Foursome: Funky Soul Makossa 12??? Streetwise
    Sugarhill Gang: 8th Wonder / Sugar Hill Groove 12??? Sugarhill
    Planet Patrol: Play At Your Own Risk 12??? Tommy Boy
    Roni Griffith: Breakin??? Up / Voodoo Man / Spys 12??? Vanguard
    Taana Gardner: Heartbeat 12??? West End
    Afrika Bambaataa & Soulsonic Force: Renegades of Funk 12??? (promo) Tommy Boy
    SOS Band: Take Your Time (Do It Right) 12??? Tabu

Even some Miami bass:
    DJ Magic Mike feat. ATS: Ain???t Finished Yet 12??? (pic sleeve) Cheetah
    Maggotron Crushing Crew: Miami???s Rocking Baby (Miami Jams) 12??? Pandisc