SOME PAP... THRIFT DIGGING RELATED

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
The Salvation Army in Lansdale, PA charges $5 per record!

Anybody else experience such nonsense. You'd think there would be some universal pricing chart for all goods at Salvation Army?

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The one right around the corner from where I live throws out all non-christian (somehow country qualifies as Christian music) records before they hit the shelves.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Anybody else experience such nonsense. You'd think there would be some universal pricing chart for all good at a Salvation Army?

Supply and demand. Someone must be watching this board at that Salvation Army! Or selling on eBay.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    I actually won a record on E-bay from a Goodwill in the Pittsburgh area. They had a bunch of stuff up.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The only Salvation Army in town has always been 79 cents a disk... I used to find some good stuff there too... (sigh)

I went to the Goodwill thats supposedly now managed by a record collector/dealer the other day and there were NO RECORDS for the first ever...

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    The one right around the corner from where I live throws out all non-christian (somehow country qualifies as Christian music) records before they hit the shelves.

WOW, I've been in stores like this b4 where it was all xian or country I just figured it represented the donating demographic but there could be something more sinister at work then.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    The only Salvation Army in town has always been 79 cents a disk... I used to find some good stuff there too... (sigh)

I went to the Goodwill thats supposedly now managed by a record collector/dealer the other day and there were NO RECORDS for the first ever...

I can understand that there is a food chain effect with hot records at the more commercial thrifts (Goodwill, Salvation Army), but if we're going to get stuck with the same 100 easy listening records, please to not charge $5/disk. It was almost comical to see Perry Como and VG- Barry Manilow with $5 price tags.

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    I actually won a record on E-bay from a Goodwill in the Pittsburgh area. They had a bunch of stuff up.

thats so funny, next thing you know church flea markets are gonna start selling shit on ebay

• The Salvation Army in Lansdale, PA charges $5 per record!

Anybody else experience such nonsense. You'd think there would be some universal pricing chart for all goods at Salvation Army?

I bet they had one too many people come in and tell them that them records can really be worth some money. its funny how this misconception has arisen.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

You think the guy is just taking the records and selling them himself? That's fucked up.

You think the guy is just taking the records and selling them himself? That's fucked up.

Well, that rumour's been alive among the old head collectors long enough that I'm believing it may be true... and the NO RECORDS thing kind of cemented it for me... in fact - there were actually a handful of records in the store, but they were all in the glass case with post-its noting ridiculous prices and reasons they were "rare" or "desirable" - so that kinda plays into this theory too...

• bissonet??
    i found a rap record there once

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

thats so funny, next thing you know church flea markets are gonna start selling shit on ebay

already being done..

everyone who's a reseller (goodwill, thrifts, flea etc..) all think that they've got something. not only that, many places have no concept of water damage and it's relation to value..

A few years ago when I saw old Southern folks looking at ebay at their flea market/antique mall booths I knew it was all over...

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

Thats terrible Rick... I'm glad that I still have my 5 records for $4 spots here in Philly. But the Goodwill wants $2 a record, I thought that was bad but I have come up there too.

Then again those 5 records for $4 spots are loaded with crap... sometimes its hard to find 5 good records...

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Yes, I don't go to Salvation Army's (Armies?) for that very reason. They're insane. And not just on records, who pays $300 for a nasty ass couch? I'm surprised they can stay open.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Some of the Thrifts around me will do that every once in a while. Like most retail business' they have pretty high employee turnover rates and I think sometimes some a new person gets hired and thinks they can make alot more $ by hiking up the prices. Usually, sales go down because no ones is paying $5 a record then they end up clearing them out at 5 for $1. Its a vicious cycle I've seen repeated too many times.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    the Salv Army by my work prices all LPs @ $1.49 and 45s @ $1. I still go to this one because they've been known to yeild a hot Hoctor, Orion, and most recently Keyloc.

But as for the other locations, I subscribe to the pre-floor filter conspiracy theory. It is impossible that all the records could be that bad all the time. Some under-the-table shadyness is going down and the GM with the clip-on tie has his hand in it. I'm watching them.

Some of the Thrifts around me will do that every once in a while. Like most retail business' they have pretty high employee turnover rates and I think sometimes some a new person gets hired and thinks they can make alot more $ by hiking up the prices. Usually, sales go down because no ones is paying $5 a record then they end up clearing them out at 5 for $1. Its a vicious cycle I've seen repeated too many times.

Ok, stupid, yes, but in no way would I consider overpricing junk records "vicious."

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Ok, stupid, yes, but in no way would I consider overpricing junk records "vicious."

Another thing I found comical at the $5 spot was that there were A lot of empty LP jackets. Stick it to the man!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    bissonet??
    i found a rap record there once

Nah, Washington near downtown.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    WHAT?!?!?!?! thats the wackest fuckin shit ive ever heard. they cant do that, can they?

WHAT?!?!?!?! thats the wackest fuckin shit ive ever heard. they cant do that, can they?

Goodwill has had auctions online for YEARS.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    It has become a trend across the board, at least in thrift stores in the U.S. from what others have told me. Some records are seen as being "of value", and thus they add a "boutique" price which I think is bullshit.

Again, as I've said a few times, not all thrift stores are the same. Some are for charity, others are for personal gain. I worked for a thrift store that was for the latter, and back then there wasn't a sense of collectibility, hell it was 1993, there was no eBay.

The sad thing is when the charity stores act like the others, and decide to add a few dollars to the price.

And I'm complaining because my local Goodwill raised their albums by a nickel. The Goodwill up in Spokane used to price their albums anywhere between $1.99-$3.99, and there was no logic as to why. Condition was all the same, it applied to single, double, or triple albums.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    At least you can get records at your Salvation Army. The ones in Phoenix quit carrying them and are auctioning them off in bulk.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

this is a good thing. don't forget that goodwill is a charity and if they're smart enough to get a bill for their headless heroes or whatever rather than a dollar then more power to them. that money's going to a good cause. it's better than some dealer beating you to the punch with some inside trader shit (which they will do) and flipping it themselves on the bay.

who around here serioiusly still checks the big name thrifts for records anyway?

$5 VG- Perry Como is a no no though.

this is a good thing. don't forget that goodwill is a charity and if they're smart enough to get a bill for their headless heroes or whatever rather than a dollar then more power to them. that money's going to a good cause. it's better than some dealer beating you to the punch with some inside trader shit (which they will do) and flipping it themselves on the bay.

who around here serioiusly still checks the big name thrifts for records anyway?

$5 VG- Perry Como is a no no though.

I still hit the Sal Army on Kennilworth if I have a weekday off...on Saturday AM it's like rush hour in their parking lot, just nutso. And I find something worthwile like every 4th or 5th time I go.

So they are 5 bucks. It doesn't matter just take those shits. They are being greedy so you are justified. I hate thrifts that act like they didn't get shit for free they make more off selling it at a buck. PEACE...

Yeah, fuck those people who try to raise money for the needy. Fuck them!

Yeah, fuck those people who try to raise money for the needy. Fuck them!

Nah who cares. I hate them trying to sell shit for too much. That is what this whole post is about. I'm pretty sure there are many things that get left there. 5 bucks come on. Sometimes you get things just because they are a dollar...ECAEP

Dude, it is a store...they can sell shit for HOWEVER MUCH THEY WANT...don't buy it if your morals are offended. Stealing is wrong no matter how much you think it's cool, and it's just stupid on top of wrong to TELL PEOPLE YOU DO IT. Jesus, are you fucking retarded?

• TWO nearby Salvation Armys have BOTH decided to take their records, bag 'em in these shitty cellophane sleeves, slap a "COLLECTABLES" sticker on 'em and jack the price way up from the usual $1 to anywhere from $8 and $40!!!! WTF?!?

Seriously!!!!! "The Best of Vikki Carr" is not collectable and it's not worth $40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Is this the new deal at all Salvation Armys?

• funky16corners said:

I'm not surprised by this i have noticed a lot of places i used to come up at are drying up. At a Goodwill probably the same one you mentioned decent records were turning up and then all of a sudden it was mostly crap. One day i picked out a Gil Evans records and asked the guy if there were more jazz records that hadn't made it out yet and he assured me the rest went home with him. Brought the Gil Evans home and it played terrible but I can't complain for a dollar. It's hard out there people gotta survive. On a funnier note another local thrift puts out destroyed Beatles comps and warped LPs, and reissues for between 20 and 50 dollars and when i come back the next week they are gone....I think they price them so high because someone is actually buying this chit.