2»

Comments

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

A line has just been crossed.

note to self: stick with Excel.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

A line has just been crossed.

note to self: stick with Excel.

Haha... why must you excite Young Phonics so by drawing in a flower clutched between my teeth?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Diddy's on PGC right now and playing a gang of shit from this record. It all sounds damn good, production wise, at least. The Nas/Cee-Lo cut is on right now. Lo just moans on the hook but the beat is nasty.

But supposedly he has a singing duet with Keyshia Cole on there too...

x1000

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    ok the christina/just blaze cut kinda sucks.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    the song with mary is free jazz skronk meets rich harrison.

Diddy's on PGC right now and playing a gang of shit from this record. It all sounds damn good, production wise, at least. The Nas/Cee-Lo cut is on right now. Lo just moans on the hook but the beat is nasty.

Damn, you have me halfway convinced to check for this schitt... if I buy this, I will own three Puffy albums.

• if I buy this, I will own three Puffy albums.

I can't believe you don't own No Way Out.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    But supposedly he has a singing duet with Keyshia Cole on there too...

x1000
    Are you unaware that his singing at the end of the Ma$e album is one of the best things ever?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Damn, you have me halfway convinced to check for this schitt... if I buy this, I will own three Puffy albums.
    I'm confused as to why anyone would think this WOULDNT be worth checking, with or without Noz's cosign.

I'm confused as to why anyone would think this WOULDNT be worth checking, with or without Noz's cosign.

Because Puff ceased being a rap dude and became a full-on fashion dude several years ago... I think the mohawk marked the point at which the crossover was complete.

Because pretty much all the music he's had a direct hand in over the past five years has been garbage; Bad Boy's only worthwhile releases since Saga Continues (Ball & G, Boyz N Tha Hood, some of Yung Joc's stuff) have been the ones he's kept his hands off of.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I'm not sure why you think he was hands off on that ball&G album! Its even got a late 90s disco throwback track ("Trying to Get At You") with 112 that's pretty good, but on the whole it seems like it has the INVISIBLE HAND OF PUFFY all over it. I mean yeah for the past couple years until the Bad Boy South shit started to take off after Bad Boy lost its label deal there was a lull, but with all the stuff he's done recently (Cassie, Young Joc, weirdo one-off James Brown biting b-sides, weirdo dance tracks with Felix da Housecat, decent leadoff single) it seems like anticipation should be building.

I wonder how this will sell. Anyone know how the single's doing?

I'm not sure why you think he was hands off on that ball&G album! Its even got a late 90s disco throwback track ("Trying to Get At You") with 112 that's pretty good, but on the whole it seems like it has the INVISIBLE HAND OF PUFFY all over it.

That record was far from being what I would call a Bad Boy project--Ball & G came to the label with over a decade in the game and a strong artistic identity of their own. As far as I can tell, Puff's contributions were limited to putting them with his inhouse producers for a few tracks and getting them to record "I Need a Girl Pts. IV-VII (Memphis Remix)"

Very different from the great Bad Boy albums--Life After Death, No way Out and Harlem World--which very clearly sprang from the mind of Puff.

I wonder how this will sell.

I think everyone's wondering that.

Has anyone heard Ludacris's R&B album yet?

• I wonder how this will sell.

EEEEUUUUCH. I saw that cover yesterday and was thinking "WTF???!!!". It looks like some Brian Mcknight schitt.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

EEEEUUUUCH. I saw that cover yesterday and was thinking "WTF???!!!". It looks like some Brian Mcknight schitt.

The airbrush job on Ludacris's hairline is considerably more impressive...

• I wonder how this will sell.

The airbrush job on Ludacris's hairline is considerably more impressive...

Lego hair.

• I'm not sure why you think he was hands off on that ball&G album! Its even got a late 90s disco throwback track ("Trying to Get At You") with 112 that's pretty good, but on the whole it seems like it has the INVISIBLE HAND OF PUFFY all over it. I mean yeah for the past couple years until the Bad Boy South shit started to take off after Bad Boy lost its label deal there was a lull, but with all the stuff he's done recently (Cassie, Young Joc, weirdo one-off James Brown biting b-sides, weirdo dance tracks with Felix da Housecat, decent leadoff single) it seems like anticipation should be building.

I wonder how this will sell. Anyone know how the single's doing?

Puffy didn't have anything to do with the Cassie single becoming hot. that was released as an indie and sold out as soon as it hit. he signed them and still didn't realize how hot the single was and didn't capitalize off of it. However the rest of her doo-doo album yes, he definately had alot to do with that... hence it being doo-doo.

As far as the new stuf, the get off track is cool, but its not going over as well across the board. Only certain types fo Djs are buying it.

As far as the new stuf, the get off track is cool, but its not going over as well across the board. Only certain types fo Djs are buying it.

The DJs that have regular gigs in deej's bedroom are all running that record hard.

Then they mix into kris-kross.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    faux rillz with the shocking use of snarky irreverence

fight the real enemy. Jeff Chang*

I think Puffy had a lot more to do with that ball and G album than you do though, of course 8ball and mjg were already well-defined rappers before Diddy, but Living Legends sounds pretty unique and unlike anything else in their catalogue, and to me it sounds like a total Diddy exec-produce job. This isn't like Cassie where (apparently) she came to him w/ the material ahead of time, or at least it certainly doesnt sound like it. I mean the song w/ Diddy rapping sounds more like one of the somber Life After Death tracks than "I Need a Girl Part XXI" and "Trying to Get At You" sounds more like a Harlem World track than Puffy's post-JLo crymeariver anthems.

anyway, I haven't heard the Cassie album but nonetheless Diddy is on a roll. I'm not sure I understand what you mean about Diddy not 'capitalizing' off of it - its a huge hit, and its on Bad Boy.

As for Get Off, or course its not a hit, its a weird-ass song that also happens to be a b-side. I'm not expecting it to become some huge club anthem, i'm much happier if it remains an oddball b-side that a few DJs figure out how to work right and most DJs just ignore.

*jk

faux rillz with the shocking use of snarky irreverence

fight the real enemy. Jeff Chang*

Excellent. You and me should team up and get at JC over his insistence on believing that there is such a thing as "hip-hop activism" and attempts to equate college kids that listen to headwraps-n-incense rap whose social scene revolves around attending protests to the organic youth movements of places like the South Bronx.

I think Puffy had a lot more to do with that ball and G album than you do though

True--I had very little to do with that album.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Ball & G

Which reminds me, on the radio Puff kept running down the labels line up - Joc, Boys N The Hood, Danity Kane & Cassie - and didn't mention Ball & G once. Are they Koch bound? Did I miss something?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i really hope not. there's a good song of theirs floating around right now too. i was at towers last night and they had eightball and mjg's album scheduled to be released yesterday : |

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Yeah that would be terrible, I thought that single that came out a while back was pretty great, albeit a bit Outkast-y

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Puffy didn't have anything to do with the Cassie single becoming hot. that was released as an indie and sold out as soon as it hit. he signed them and still didn't realize how hot the single was and didn't capitalize off of it. However the rest of her doo-doo album yes, he definately had alot to do with that... hence it being doo-doo.

The original version of the Cassie song didn't sound much like the one that became a hit

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    There was a 3-song sampler released off the 8Ball/MJG album in the spring...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    so far i've heard:

get low
    fuck that
    for an outfit
    ridin' high
    relax and take notes
    turn up the bump

all of them have been bangers except i dont really care all that much about for an outfit. i remember that three song sampler having some shit about "being too hard for the radio" or something, but does that mean dudes dont get any promotion at all?