Anybody build their own external for microwave?

street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
I'm thinking about going to Frys to get an enclosure and an internal hard drive to put in it. Seems like a cheaper way to go than buying a ready made one. Is this a good look?

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Do it, this is a fairly easy thing to do. Pick a good reliable internal hard drive and then pick an enclosure with a fan or proper heat dissapation and you'll be set.

• I did it. 250 g hard drive with enclosure cost $119 tax included. Works great!! Thanks.

• what is microwave?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    office depot got 500gb western digital mybook externalz for 200 this weekkkkkkkkkkkkk

• Do it, this is a fairly easy thing to do. Pick a good reliable internal hard drive and then pick an enclosure with a fan or proper heat dissapation and you'll be set.

Can someone with absolutely zero computer hardware construction experience do this?
    do this? That is damn cheap for an external HD. Will this work on a mac?

• not to get too off the subject but does anybody know much about setting up an external hard drive to backup a Mac g4 powerbook? im reading the instruction manual for a new seagate 300gb external that i want to back up my music files but it tells me i need to re-format my hard drive on the mac first which would in turn erase everything? does this make any sense? any help appreciated.

-rich

• That doesn't sound right. Normally, the CD that comes with it formats the external disc not your computer's hard drive. Most drives work with Mac and PC and if you've got a recent Apple it may even recognise the new external disc automatically.

• once you connect your usb/firewire drive to your mac, you should see the drive mounted on your desktop. if you don't, then your computer doesn't know what's up, and you should doublecheck to make sure you assembled the drive properly. if the drive mounts, search for 'disk utility' in the finder. select the newly mounted disk in the left pane, and select 'erase' in the left pane. use 'mac os extended journaled' as the volume format which will likely be the default and give it a fancy name so you know what it is. select erase, give it a min, and you're in business.

oh, and don't do this to your main hard drive or you'll likely really regret it.