JODY

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Hey guys, I was just grooving to Little Beaver's "Jody" and it crossed my mind, "dag, there was a lot of soul / funk songs coming out I guess for awhile in the early 70's that dealt with some dude named Jody". Now, Jody don't seem to be that common of a name for a dude... where iz this "Jody" schitt coming from??? What was the first "Jody" recorrd??? What do you, as a soulstrutter, REALLY know about "Jody"??? I want to learn

Comments

• Do you mean "joey"???

still a crappy name....

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    It's mainly a military thing - slang for the
    dude that's making time with your girl back home
    while you out saving America's ass. That's why there
    are so many from the Vietnam era ... still, it kinda crept
    into civilian speech, too, which is why there are plenty of
    songs that refer to Jody being wit your girl when you're just
    out getting some new socks or whatever.

I posted a good link about it when we had a thread about it
    months and months ago, but I don't know where it is...

... but, yeah, the Little Beaver song is "Joey"

• Back in the day Jody was a term used to describe the guy that was bangin' your girl while you were away be it in the army, Penitentiary or at work. Jody is the cat that's Big Dick Bobbin' ya [email]bit@h[/email] . Jody gotcha girl and gone

• johnny taylor = king of jody songs
    "standing in for"
    "Jody's got your girl"
    there are a ton of great jody soul tunes
    lots of blues too
    goldmine mag had a history of the jody songs
    many years ago

• dont forget the blues funk of sonny green "jody's on the run"

• ... but, yeah, the Little Beaver song is "Joey"

Yeah, you right... but Joey was "big dick bobbin'" Beaver's "bitch" just like if his name was Jody, so I guess that's why I got confused. So that schitt comes from military, huh? Cool. Thanks, soulstrutters, for hepping me to black people slang from yesteryear! I thought "Jody" was some "Roxanne" schitt or somethin

I like "Jody, Come Back and Get Your Shoes" by Bobby Newsome on Spring.

• NMAE ALL THE JODY SONGS YOU KNOW (doesn't have to be in the title, can be some schitt like Eddie Simpson "Big Black Funky Slave"... "ain't gonna take care o' you and Jody too")

• military history

i wish i still had that goldmine, great lists

that "jody come get your shoes" is great
    i've found a few female vocal jody tunes
    i buy anything with "jody" on the title !

& johnny taylor kills it !

• NMAE ALL THE JODY SONGS YOU KNOW (doesn't have to be in the title, can be some schitt like Eddie Simpson "Big Black Funky Slave"... "ain't gonna take care o' you and Jody too")

Modern Soul Jody:

Steven and Sterling - "Jody" (1981, RCA)

SG

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    "Ain't no use in going home; Jody's got your girl and gone. Ain't no use in feeling blue; Jody's got your sister, too. Ain't no use in lookin' back; Jody's got your Cadillac..."

^^That's from the military history link. I would have posted it anyway because I thought of those rhymes right when I saw the thread title.

So Jody is part of folk lore, kinda like the dozens that so many early rap tunes were based on.

I really like a version Marvin Sease did in the 80s. Very nice, Marvin is Jody in the song.

Dan

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    But still the mystery remains why the name Jody?
    Was Jody ballin' Martha Washington or Marie Atoinette?
    Who know the orgins of the original Jody mufucka?

• I have a "Jody Songs" section in my 45 box. They kinda tell a story:

Mickey Murray: Jodie
    Earl Foster: Jodine (the female Jodie, natch)
    Johnnie Taylor: Jody's Got Your Girl And Gone
    Sonny Green: Jody's On The Run
    Joe Williams Jr.: Don't Let Me Catcha Jody
    Bobby Newsome: Jody, Come Back & Get Your Shoes
    Jean Knight: Don't Talk About Jody

D'oh Late Pass!

Jody's Got Your Girl and Gone
    Tyina L. Steptoe
    Graduate Student, UW-Madison Department of History

3:30 PM
    Friday, April 22, 2005
    Wisconsin Historical Society Auditorium
    816 State Street (Library Mall)
    UW-Madison Campus
    Free and Open to the Public
    Click here to map this location

Using examples from blues music, prison and military folklore, and the work of Zora Neale Hurston, this talk by UW-Madison graduate student Tyina Steptoe explores the African American folk character Jody, AKA "Joe the Grinder," or the "Backdoor Man."

http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=73808

Yesterday after reading an old thread on Jody military cadence chants, I realized that I had to expand my research on the origins and meanings of African American children's hand clap rhymes and foot stomping chants to include the influence of {sanitized?} army rhymes such as "Sound Off, 1,2 etc." This counting chant is found in several children's rhymes that I've collected. I've also collected two handclap rhymes from Pittsburgh, PA area that start with the rhyme "Mama Mama, can't you see/what that army's done to me".

• "Joe the Grinder,"

As mentioned in Merle Haggard's "Old Man From the Mountain"!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

But still the mystery remains why the name Jody?
    Was Jody ballin' Martha Washington or Marie Atoinette?
    Who know the orgins of the original Jody mufucka?

Here is one answer, as good as any:

http://www.wordorigins.org/wordori.htm

Jody/Joe The Grinder
    Ain't no use in going home
    Jody's got your girl and gone
    Gonna get a three-day pass
    Just to kick old Jody's ass.
    Anyone who has seen a movie about the U.S. Army has heard soldiers chanting and singing as they march or run. These chants or cadences are called jodies or jody calls, after a character in many of the songs. The character Jody is a civilian who has stolen the affections of the soldier's sweetheart back home.

The military use of jody call and the sense of jody meaning a civilian of draft age date to World War II and were introduced to the U.S. Army by African-American soldiers. Jody is a clipping of the name of Joe the Grinder, a slightly older character in jazz and blues mythology.

Joe the Grinder is the name of mythical ladies man in blues tunes who seduces the wives and sweethearts of prisoners and soldiers. He's also known as Joe De Grinder and Joe D. Grinder. The term dates to at least 1939. Grinder is from an old slang verb, to grind, meaning to copulate (1647-present).

• many Jamaican songs about
    Joe Grind

• this song is true texas funk truth... austin, tx

"Never Leave My Homework Undone," a straight-up Chicago blues single on the Dud Sound label by Little Mack Simmons (this was a local hit in 1972). Jody is featured in the chorus ("I take good care of my baby/Jody can't do me no harm") and in one of the verses ("I don't worry about Jody or no other man").

• jody's on the run - sonny green [hill records compton, ca]

• "I Got Jody" - Reggie Soul

Not sure how this one works into the theory at all since Reggie is clearly creeping to Jody's house when her dude aint around but since were naming all Jody songs?!?!?

.....also

After listening to this again and considering the term Jody I suppose it is a possibility that Reggie is describing "getting Jody" as Payback or revenge?