Microsoft's answer to the Ipod!

2»

Comments

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    There currently isn't a way to sniff out what you are sending, so we wrap it all up in DRM. We can???t tell if you are sending a song from a known band or your own home recording so we default to the safety of encoding.

Link

weak sauce.
    this is Sony DRM level.

ugly iPod-clone design + questionable wifi features + "Zune" name + inevitable craptastic MS ad campaign = instant flop...

• You all forget you are dealing with Microsoft... If they really want to they can dump billions to crush the ipod. However being that Microsoft is now a major investor in Apple, they are making money both ways.

As far as the design is concerned, it would be stupid to design anything too far from the iPod design only because the vast majority of iPod owners understand the interface of the ipod. It allows easier change from ipod to zune.

Also I think alot of you are underestimating the fact that a majority of computer users are windows users. Windows users want a system that is compatible from top to bottom with their computer and a windows based DRM... ie. WMA as well as Real DRM (Rhapsody).

The key here though, is really the WiFi. As long as it is cheap enough for everyone to use it (send and receive) this is really going to be game changing. If apple doesn't jump on the networking side of media players I think it could seal their fate. Look at the popularity of MySpace as far as social networking to the masses... Now it will be portable?

• I think this is a far cry from a portable myspace... it's a redundant item that offers a couple of bells and whistles but won't change overall brand loyalty.

• the messaging feature is what's up and its something that could take over and be the selling point. i am not saying that this iteration is going to be the end all, but ignoring the fact that they really are the first to have wifi built into a media player (not counting PDAs and Cell Phones whcih alto of kids don't have) is a pretty important step for a device like this... There is a large segment of the population that could end up using this similarly to MySpace...

And I don't think with the majority of the population as far as these types of products there is any kind of "Brand Loyalty". Price and ease of use are the keys. And really Microsoft if anything has the edge being the bigger brand.

• Microsoft might be the bigger company, but it's really not the bigger brand in terms of media exposure which is what counts for consumer goods. I see what you're saying but really how is this any different from a phone or PDA that plays music? Is this really going to replace the Ipod AND the Sidekick? I think people's capacity for change in the personal electronics market is really limited. I see people still rocking stock cell phones.

I mean, there have been tons of cheaper/better media players to come out in the interim but none of them have made even a dent. I think it's an important step but it'll just spur Mac, etc to come out with something better.

• Microsoft might be the bigger company, but it's really not the bigger brand in terms of media exposure which is what counts for consumer goods. I see what you're saying but really how is this any different from a phone or PDA that plays music? Is this really going to replace the Ipod AND the Sidekick? I think people's capacity for change in the personal electronics market is really limited. I see people still rocking stock cell phones.

I mean, there have been tons of cheaper/better media players to come out in the interim but none of them have made even a dent. I think it's an important step but it'll just spur Mac, etc to come out with something better.

Actually as far as known brands Microsoft has a much bigger edge. I still have friends that are confused about apple/mac/ipod, and its mainly because they buy whatever works, not necessarily by brand (and the only apple product they own is an ipod). And actually alternate players are making a dent slowly, mainly because of pricing. Add to that the fact that I know alot of people that are really tired of replacing their ipod once a year, I can see if, and only if this product is launched correctly with the WiFi working and being cheap to use as well as the content outlets being available it could work... but those both of those I think have to fall in line.

In addition the biggest difference between apple and microsoft as far as the portable media market is concerned is that up until really now, Microsoft has only really dabbled in the market never really pushing any product that they have created in house to be the Microsoft product. They usually let the equipment manufacturers create the systems and they may support with licensing Windows CE for the running app. However with this ZUNE product it looks like it will be stepping up to take that position for Microsoft.

Also don't forget what they did with the video game world and the X-Box... Everyone laughed when they were getting into that market... 3-5 years later they are beating out Sony as the number one gaming console.

I am not a Microsoft fan, or an Apple fan, really I could care less which one wins the dominant share of the market in the end, I just have seen Microsoft target a market they want to enter and throw enough money and muscle into it to really take it over. I don't see them, if they have their sites set on this market, taking there entry into it lightly.

• I still have friends that are confused about apple/mac/ipod

Maybe it's a cali thing. out here everybody has an ipod. it's not even a question.

• no its actually a middle america thing... all the homies there have everything from Dell to Ipod to that best buy brand Insignia. and granted I am not arguing about iPod's current foothold... However if and when Microsoft goes after that market, I just don't see them NOT taking it over, just from watching their tactics over the years.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    You all forget you are dealing with Microsoft... If they really want to they can dump billions to crush the ipod. However being that Microsoft is now a major investor in Apple, they are making money both ways.

As far as the design is concerned, it would be stupid to design anything too far from the iPod design only because the vast majority of iPod owners understand the interface of the ipod. It allows easier change from ipod to zune.

Also I think alot of you are underestimating the fact that a majority of computer users are windows users. Windows users want a system that is compatible from top to bottom with their computer and a windows based DRM... ie. WMA as well as Real DRM (Rhapsody).

The key here though, is really the WiFi. As long as it is cheap enough for everyone to use it (send and receive) this is really going to be game changing. If apple doesn't jump on the networking side of media players I think it could seal their fate. Look at the popularity of MySpace as far as social networking to the masses... Now it will be portable?

Good points made, 33rd.

No it probably won't have as dominating an influence in the market as the ipod, but like you said, noone thought Microsoft would be a legitmate contender in the video game market, and the Xbox 360 is one of the hotest selling consoles.

It doesn't have to be revolutionary, you just need a strong brand name and enough money to push the product.

• no its actually a middle america thing... all the homies there have everything from Dell to Ipod to that best buy brand Insignia. and granted I am not arguing about iPod's current foothold... However if and when Microsoft goes after that market, I just don't see them NOT taking it over, just from watching their tactics over the years.

Yeah I am saying... in NYC which is admittedly a special market it would be considered, I think, *not* cool to rock a Microsoft product... people who don't even own home computers buy into that Mac vs. PC marketing campaign.