Do you always read liner notes?

JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
I do and I'm working on a "jazz liner notes generator" software. I like the ones on first records where they go like "trust me, this will be the first step on a brilliant career" and then dude never hit a recording studio again.

Comments

• I do and I'm working on a "jazz liner notes generator" software.

I like the ones on first records where they go like "trust me, this will be the first step on a brilliant career" and then dude never hit a recording studio again.

Or the ones that are just pulled out of someones ass. You can tell they never heard the music. For example the liner notes on Oh Pharaoh Speak! you can tell dude who wrote them never heard a lick of the music even though he tries hard to describe it. Also John Lee Hooker live on campus or is it live at solidad has some of the most racist shit in the liner notes. You can tell they were writen by some rich music exec. I wish I was at home so I could post them.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Reading liner notes turns you into a digger fag. Or is it fag digger? robot. Aaron Fuchs used to write liner notes.

• they're all in portugese so i just stare at them.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    they're all in portugese so i just stare at them.

don't worry, all brazilian liner notes talk about how great the musicians are, how beautifully they combine vocals and instruments and how bossa has took over the world.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Liner notes are a real hit-or-miss affair IMO. Sometimes they are beautifully written and on point, sometimes they're just over-the-top praise and sometimes they're just plain .

Like the liner notes for "Pieces Of A Man" where the writer is praising the songs and talent of Gil Scott-Heron except for "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised", where you kinda get the feeling that he finds it crude. It's like he almost tries to apologize for it. Wack.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    We hope you like this record as much as we like presenting it to you.

• I was reading the "jazz poem" that is the liner notes for Art Blakey Three Blind Mice out loud to myself the other day. It was fun and I wish someone else had been there to hear it, since I sold it a couple of days later. This got me thinking, isn't someone on SS working on a liner note coffee table book?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The Orphic Egg label's "XXXX's" Head series (Beethoven's Head, Mozart's Head, etc)
    of classical LP's are pretty cool - early 70's attempts to sell
    classical to the stoner generation by featuring full-back-cover liner notes
    by hipster rock critics of the day ... I found Beethoven's Head at a
    thrift store, and the Lester Bangs liner notes are awesome!!

Also, I wish I could find one of my Studio One LP's for a pic, the
    Coxsone Dodd liners on some of those albums, where he taks about the
    Beatles being devils, Chris Blackwell the vampire, etc, are fantastic!