Quincy Conserve - Record Day - NZ edition (RR)

lucerolucero 425 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
thought I'd give a little shine to 1970's New Zealand group Quincy Conserve for rekkid day two double ohh six the fact these guys actually produced four albums and numerous singles is one testament to their quality, I myself find it hard to imagine how the scene must have been down these ways way back then, lots of small towns, pubs & the like .. its not uncommon to meet people who used to go see them when they were younger, but anyhows, the band itself went through numerous lineup changes, with lead vocal Malcolm Hayman beign the mainstay .. local heads would know about these guys and the fact that Bruno Lawerence was their drummer on the first LP 'Just listen to the band' .. in some ways Bruno was NZ's counterculture equivalent to Tomothy Leary or Sid Vicious perhaps, but without the international noteriety The link below has a folder with three cuts - one off each of the LP's pictured below. From left to right I've recorded the cover of James Brown's 'I feel good', a catchy pop number 'My brother Jake' and uptempto instrumental number 'Lulu Belle' .. its safe to say these are 'raer' so I hope you enjoy emhttp://www.sendspace.com/file/61o8zl getting down in 72 ::::::::::::

Comments

• Great post. I have mp3's off the last Q.C lp on ode if anyone is interested.

• ^^

would lurrve to hear them !

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Did you say 4 albums? I thought they only cut 3? I know about the three you pictured above (I have the first two), but whats the other one?

• Happy record day Strutters.....

Great way to kick off Lucero.
    Didn't know their catalogue was so extensive..
    Here's another....

QC does DEODATO

Was this an LP track too?? or 45 only??
    Anyways enjoy.....

There's a really rare and really good Quincy Conserve 7" that wasn't on their LPs that I've been keeping quiet-ish for a while now. If I had a digital camera I would post a pic, but I don't now.

Anyone wanna drop knowledge - I'm interested to see if other Australiasian collectros are up on this.

• is that the 7' I traded with you man?

• Did you say 4 albums? I thought they only cut 3? I know about the three you pictured above (I have the first two), but whats the other one?

The third one above is 'Tasteful' .. theres also ODE as trip posted above, and a Live LP as well, tho they do only one side on that .. bring on the 45, if you've already got it whats the issue?! you know these things don't lie about in thrift bins

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Great stuff. Thank you!

Did you say 4 albums? I thought they only cut 3? I know about the three you pictured above (I have the first two), but whats the other one?

The third one above is 'Tasteful' .. theres also ODE as trip posted above, and a Live LP as well, tho they do only one side on that .. bring on the 45, if you've already got it whats the issue?! you know these things don't lie about in thrift bins

Nah it's no big secret. I wanna post a pic of the 45 but I don't have a digital camera anymore! I'll try and get a photo of it up in the next day or two. It's a cover of the Nite-Liters tune "tango bo gonk."

• ahh, jus quickly the zip file actually has 'Aire of good feeling' not 'My Brother Jake' - they're all tagged right anyhow

and from another board recently this dude knows a bloke who used to be a fill in drummer back in the day, supposedly he has demo's & tapes, dude was going to get onto him bout it, maybe they'll surface ...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Rufus Rehu still gigs around Auckland doing jazzy keyboard stuff.