Good Spanish Movies

haze25haze25 759 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
me and the old lady are looking for recomendations on good spanish movies that are availible on dvd.we've seen "y tu mama tmbien" and "the motorcycle diaries" which we thought were great. and we've seen "before night falls" which we thought was terrible. also we need movies with subtitles for her sake. any help is appreciated.peace,xavier

Comments

• Los Voces de os Innocentes (Voices of the Innocent).

One of the most powerfull things I've ever seen. Basically it's a movie based about a small childs experience growing up during the El Salvadorian Civil War. I saw it in 20004 in San Salvador and when I was leaving the theater there where people walking out in tears.

And if that doesn't tickle your jueso then holler at:

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    You mean "Latin" recent ones I've seen...

"Bolivia" is kind of interesting, pretty low budget and seems like they cast the actors with whoever was already at the location. About a Bolivian working illegally in Argentina.

"Blossoms of Fire" is a really interesting docu style thing on the Zapotec women who allegedly enslave their men, take all their money, and sleep around. That's not really what happens but it kind of makes you go hmmmm. Filmaker/narrator is a bit clueless about Mexico though.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    When you say "Spanish" films do you mean Spanish language films or films from Spain? If I remember correctly, "y tu mama tmbien" is a Mexican film and "the motorcycle diaries" was from Argentina. For Spanish films, "Tie Me Up Tie Me Down" is great! CRAZY movie that was given an "X" rating by the US film board then changed to become one of the first "NC-17" rated films. Almost any film by director Pedro Almod??var is going to be pretty good.

• yeah i mean spanish as in the language. i should of said latin but i knew you guys would get it.

did anyone else see "before night falls".on the cover someone claimed it was the best movie of 2000, maybe i just didn't get it?

thanks for the titles, keep em' comin.

peace,xavier

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

"Nueve reinas" aka "Nine queens". Argentinian movie. It's good.

• Los Voces de os Innocentes (Voices of the Innocent).

One of the most powerfull things I've ever seen. Basically it's a movie based about a small childs experience growing up during the El Salvadorian Civil War. I saw it in 20004 in San Salvador and when I was leaving the theater there where people walking out in tears.

this sounds so good.how was san salvador when you went? i'm dying to go there, argentina and puerto rico.my mother moved to the us from el salvador in 79' and she tells me stories about how truly beautiful it is.

peace,xavier

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

"Nueve reinas" aka "Nine queens". Argentinian movie. It's good.

What's up JLR? I was just about to post "Nueve reinas." I really enjoyed this movie.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

What's up JLR? I was just about to post "Nueve reinas." I really enjoyed this movie.

Como estas, Chan? I heard George Clooney bought the rights to make an american remake of "Nueve reinas", don't know if he finally made it.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    another one from Argentina:

• I didn't like "Before Night Falls" either but I really liked "The Sea Inside (Mar Adentro)", also with Javier Bardem.

"Maria Full of Grace" was pretty disturbing. I'm not sure if I liked it but it stuck with me for a while.

Other films that were recommended to me (I haven't seen them yet but they're on my netflix queue):
    The Crime of Padre Amaro
    Amores Perros
    Guantanamera

• Heres a few good ones....

El Bola (Spain)
    La Ley De Herodes (Mexico)
    El Crimen de Padre Amaro (Mexico)
    Los Olvidados (Mexican from the 50's, AWESOME, one of the best films ever made)

• Amores Perros is good, also Tesis. Some B movies:

This last one has been banned in a few countries but maybe you'll find it.

• yeah "amores perros" looks realy good. we'll probably rent that next.they have it at the local blockbuster so we'll go when she gets back from work.

can't wait to see the ones you guys have mentioned.

peace,xavier

• Los Olvidados (Mexican from the 50's, AWESOME, one of the best films ever made)

this film, while shot in mexico, was actually directed by the spanish (that is, from spain) director, luis bu??uel. other recommedations of his more 'surreal' work in spanish would include EL ??NGEL EXTERMINADOR (THE EXTERMINATING ANGEL) and VIRIDIANA, though most of his best films were made in french while in exile.

one film i would NOT recommend would be LUC??A Y EL SEXO (SEX AND LUCIA). much like the french movie, SWIMMING POOL, i found this one to be ostensibly soft-core parading as an 'art film.' but maybe that's ok with you or whoever else...

• spirit of the beehive is one of the best films i have ever seen.
    japon is well worth seeking out as well - amazing mexican film from a couple years ago.
    duck season was one of the better things i saw last year.

i am no great fan of almodovar.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

This last one has been banned in a few countries but maybe you'll find it.
    Easy to find nowadays but Ruggero Deodato is Italian and not Spanish...

Try out The Bell From Hell by Claudio Guerin Hill
    No, it's not another sleaze/gore shocker, it's an amazing slightly surreal/psychedelic drama and it's a blessing that it's been rereleased on DVD

This one here is absolutely insane, considdered a "must see" by everyone who saw it:

There's tons more... but it would take me too long to research all the US-titels and DVD release details.