Aussie records to look out for

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
I'm off to Australia (Adelaide, Hobart and Sydney) next week and was wondering if there were any Aussie records I should look out for. Psych, jazz, punk, funk, whatever.I know the Easybeats, Radio Birdman (great show in DC last week BTW), the Scientists, Nick Cave and not much else. Also are the thrift/charity shops worth a look?Good on ya in advance,Neville

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    No, no records in Australia.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Sorry about that. Yeah check out charity shops wherever you find them. There's St Vincent de Paul (or St Vinnies if you wanna act like a local), The Salvation Army stores, and also Lifeline in some areas. Check 'em all out, especially outside of major cities. The city ones tend to get picked over on the regular.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Call that foll Sheep!

• Yeah check out charity shops wherever you find them. There's St Vincent de Paul (or St Vinnies if you wanna act like a local), The Salvation Army stores, and also Lifeline in some areas. Check 'em all out, especially outside of major cities. The city ones tend to get picked over on the regular.

Try the antique stores too...

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Here are some solid records and max prices you should be paying;

Arena - Self-Titled - $100
    John Sangster - The Joker Is Wild - $70
    John Sangster - Landscapes Of the Middle Earth - $40
    John Sangster - Ahead Of Hair - $100
    Don Burrows - The Tasman Connection - $10
    Alan Lee - The Smilor - $50
    George Golla - Easy Feelings - $20
    Jackie Orczasky - Bermuadia - $60
    Skylight - Skyhigh - $50

Watch out for record dealers in Australia tryin' to hit you for $20 for shit like Daly Wilson, Renee Geyer, Galapagos Duck and the more common stuff you'll see everywhere. Your average Daly Wilson should be between $2-3. Marcia Shines should be under $5. Galapagos Duck albums should be between $5-10.

There's more -- check out a list of artists @ http://www.myspace.com/tasmanconnection or hit me on the e-mail if you wanna know who to hook up with or what stores to visit.

peace.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Your average Daly Wilson should be between $2-3. Marcia Shines should be under $5. Galapagos Duck albums should be between $5-10.

you're more likely to see these prices at thrift markets.

camberwell market in melbourne every sunday morning is known to have quite a bit of random heat.

• kalakala 3,359 Posts
    sue barker just went for 113 on ebay

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    If you're into the Scientists and Birthday Party stuff, you might want to check out the Cruel Sea (not their horrible "the hoenymoon is over" LP) first two LPs even contain funky organ instros, their LP "three legged dog" is also pretty cool. Bloodloss are excelent and have two LPs, the better one being "human skin siut" which has an increadible version of "Nutbush city limits", or was that 45 only??? haven't listened to this stuff for a long time. There's a lot of stuff on the Red Eye/Black Eye Label from the late 80s to early 90s that's quite good. Kings Snake Roost is another good Ausie noise rock band. I also used to be quite a fan of the mighty Beasts Of Bourbon. Too bad they don't make rock bands like that anymore.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    sue barker just went for 113 on ebay

I copped a pair for $10 each at a record fair here recently. Doesn't show up often anymore. $113 is fair. $50-60 is more realistic out on the field or in a store.

peace.

• thanks for the tips. i promise to leave some records for the locals.

anybody going to this:

Adelaide CD, Record & Comic Fair is an event that
    attracts over 100 trading tables and 1000 people on
    the day. The event is held at the St Clair Recreation
    Centre, 109 Woodville Road, Woodville, South
    Australia.

i'll be there the first morning early (gotta catch a flight to Hobart that night). PM if you're going to attend.
    cheers