any dominoes/bones fiends?

crossingscrossings 946 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Double 6 DOMINOES is my game... i could play bones for days. if enough people in l.a. are down, we should do a dominoes night... i know i'd be there. i've never played for cash though... maybe i need to step my hustle up. :Pany other dominoes fiends?

Comments

• Fuck I used to be kinda good at this but haven't played since high school. I oughta play some refresher games.

• Double 6 w/ one and only one spinner is my favorite game on earth. cosine.

also down w/ cribbage and backgammon, on the games tip.

• I'm down with some does. I'm always trying to teach people and they shy away from all of the counting.

One spinner of course.

I've never played for cash. I've always played for points. First to two hundred wins (four houses if you're keeping score the cool way with X's and O's).

School me on how to play for cash, cuz I have no idea.

• When my sister taught me years ago, she said that you draw tiles to see who gets the highest double; that's who goes first. After that, it just rotates. I liked playing that way because you didn't have to play the double six first--you could play the double-five if you had it.

Then I tried to play that way with some hardcore domino dudes and I thought I was gonna get murdered on the spot.

So what's the official rule? Whoever has the big six goes first (and has to play that)? If no one has it, who goes?

• If no one has the double six, double five goes. But this is only on the first round. The winner of the first round goes first for the second round and can play whatever he/she wants which usually ends up being 6-4 or double 5's so they can score.

Them's the Central California Portuguese rules...

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i was watching dominos on ESPN a ton over the summer, dudes were hardcore. i used to play with my gramps, haven't played in years though.

• i play both ways... i prefer drawing to see who starts and then getting to play whatever as first domino, but it all depends on who i'm playing with... some people insist on their way... and i just wanna play bones so i don't care. but being forced to play a double 6 and watching someone slap down that 6/3 is not a good look though... seems like the computer versions of the game stick to the highest double rule though.

• Fuck I used to be kinda good at this but haven't played since high school. I oughta play some refresher games.

games.yahoo.com has a pretty sweet dominoes game in the Board Games section... it's kinda cool to play against people in other continents sometimes... still nothing like actually picking your tiles though.

• Double 6 to start first round in a game of four; the domino starts each subsequent round with whatever they choose, and the first double acts as the spinner for that round.

When playing w/ less than four, highest double starts first; same rules hold for subsequent rounds.

the 6-3 fifteen play to start? Shit happens. I'll overcome that over the course of a game...

Those are the house rules in Boston. Anyone who makes it out here, that's how we'll play. Beer's on me.

• If no one has the double six, double five goes. But this is only on the first round. The winner of the first round goes first for the second round and can play whatever he/she wants which usually ends up being 6-4 or double 5's so they can score.

OK, cool. That's how I play, too (Southeast Texan Cajun rules? Must be a Catholic thing!)

BTW: My wife is of Central Valley Cali Portuguese stock, but I taught her to play.

Oh, and we always play to 250. You mark a line for every 5 points, so for the first 10, you draw a really big X. Then you gradually mark smaller Xs in each section of the big X. When you fill one in, that's 50. So five big Xs and you get to 250.

Side notes:

* I used to play with this one Rasta (from Southern Louisiana) who had nicknames for every point combo. He'd call:

Tennessee (10)
    Trees (15--something about 3 sisters?)
    Boats (20)

I don't remember what he called 5 or--worse--25, but he always beat me badly.

* Twice in my life, I've scored a 35. The first time, I was obnoxious enough to take a picture.

* Every woman I've ever played dominoes with can not leave the bones in anything but a perfectly straight line with all of them touching and properly aligned. Which is why I can never resist throwing them down sloppily for points.

OK, cool. That's how I play, too (Southeast Texan Cajun rules? Must be a Catholic thing!)

BTW: My wife is of Central Valley Cali Portuguese stock, but I taught her to play.

Oh, and we always play to 250. You mark a line for every 5 points, so for the first 10, you draw a really big X. Then you gradually mark smaller Xs in each section of the big X. When you fill one in, that's 50. So five big Xs and you get to 250.

Side notes:

* I used to play with this one Rasta (from Southern Louisiana) who had nicknames for every point combo. He'd call:

Tennessee (10)
    Trees (15--something about 3 sisters?)
    Boats (20)

I don't remember what he called 5 or--worse--25, but he always beat me badly.

* Twice in my life, I've scored a 35. The first time, I was obnoxious enough to take a picture.

* Every woman I've ever played dominoes with can not leave the bones in anything but a perfectly straight line with all of them touching and properly aligned. Which is why I can never resist throwing them down sloppily for points.

To the rules...I like that way, because it gives a bigger advantage to the Domino. That is the goal of the game for good players- to steal big, homerun points through strategy.

The scoring is one of my favorite parts- we either play to 3 or 5 houses (the big X things) (150 or 250) with the straight line/circle combo. when you teach people for the first time, they look at you crazy when you start scoring.

• i play both ways...

AYO!