Standard of Living US to UK Conversion

2»

Comments

• Recent studies show that Veterans provide the best overall health care in the country.

I'm going to need a link to this study or you're going to have to expound on "best overall." I work in healthcare and deal with the VA on a daily basis and am having a hard time coming up with one area of their operation that is better than the private sector.

I mean, it's free to those that qualify...

Sounds like you came up with one way. Unless you don't think free is a good price.

It took awhile, here is the article:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2005/0501.longman.html

I'm gonna go read it now.

Dan

I'm going to read the article, but clarifying my earlier statement:

how can something be better overall if only a small percentage of people qualify for it? Of course I have no problem with free health care for veterans.

Off to read...

• If private healthcare in the UK is really vastly inferior to what the NHS provides then why are so many willing to pay for it on top of what they already contribute to the NHS through taxation?

Comparitively very few people actually pay for private health care in the UK.
    As for the NHS...

• Now please proceed to "son" me by posting pictures of Hijack in their dominatrix outfits.

Hijack > Young Jeezy or whatever other coke slanger turned rapper everyone is ass sucking this week...

• Recent studies show that Veterans provide the best overall health care in the country.

I'm going to need a link to this study or you're going to have to expound on "best overall." I work in healthcare and deal with the VA on a daily basis and am having a hard time coming up with one area of their operation that is better than the private sector.

I mean, it's free to those that qualify...

Sounds like you came up with one way. Unless you don't think free is a good price.

It took awhile, here is the article:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2005/0501.longman.html

I'm gonna go read it now.

Dan

That???s less of an article and more of an essay aimed at persuading a public health policy, which is fine. I don???t have an argument either way.

As for some of the points:

Comparing anything to Medicare is not necessary. I???d rather practice faith healing than be on that program.

It???s possible some of my primary source horror stories from the VA have allowed for some cognitive dissonance on the subject as there were some irrefutable advantages to the VA over the private sector: in-house specializations, uniform chart management, etc.

It does not touch on mental health at all, which is my biggest gripe with their system. Very few patients receive any kind of extensive individual counseling and are instead grouped together with people with similar diagnoses and seen by therapists more often than doctors.

I don???t have time to go on, but there is not uniformity yet with the VA. Obviously rural areas are very far behind their urban counterparts, mainly in terms of technology (this is primarily what I deal with). For instance, the North Carolina VA was just put on Vista 6 months ago.

It was an interesting read though.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Tax on $33k a year is 20%, not 33%.

• Tax on $33k a year is 20%, not 33%.

I'm really pleased that this has turned into a medical thread - first time on soulstrut?

RD

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

There are very few exclusively private doctors or surgeons in the UK. They may do private work but pretty much all of them work for the NHS too. So it isn't uncommon that if you go private you're treated by the same consultant who'd treat you in the NHS. Private health insurance effectively buys you a quicker appointment and maybe a private room - the care and the staff are often the same.

Flomotion's spot on. What you're basically paying for with private is the elimination of the waiting times and personalised service. There is no reason to believe that a Consultant who offers services at a private hospital is more skilled in any shape or form that an NHS consultant.

It's also worth pointing out that, despite the pisspoor state of the financial management at the moment and the figure juggling currently occurring on waiting times, the NHS is actually offering a more superior service now than anytime in the last 30 plus years. Mortality ratios are at an all time low, staff are treating more patients than ever before while at the same time reducing waiting times for operations and patients are finally being provided with information and the power to choose where they are treated.

There's a lot to be irritated by but considering the size and scope of what the NHS entails I still consider it a small miracle that it wasn't all swallowed up by the privatisation surge in the 90s and for that we should be grateful.

• The main problem the NHS will face is payments to private companies they were forced to take leases from when the new hospitals were built, as part of a complex deal (PFI) struck by the chancellor (a friend of the city). It'll be akin to the west swindling the 3rd world on interest from loans...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4739734.stm

• Just my two penn'th, my 2 year old son suffers from epilepsy & delayed devlopment, & I can only praise the care he's recieved on the NHS, the support has been amazing. I realise thats one case in a millions, but we are a lucky country to have the NHS.

• Tax on $33k a year is 20%, not 33%.

Income Tax is 22% but dont forget NI at, 9% or whatever = 31% or so total "tax".

• The NHS is better than nothing. I know plenty of Americans who've self medicated in the absence of health insurance, not being able to afford hospital bills, etc.

That being said, I had a nightmare experience with the NHS. My girl went into a seizure coming out of surgery and the nurses rushed her out cause it was friday afternoon 4pm. they were workin for the weekend. when we got home she did it again, I had to tell her to breathe, keep her eyes open, etc til the ambulance came. That was some of the scariest shit, and it was unnecessary, a result of carelessness. I know many with similar stories.

• Don't come to the UK, it's an overpriced shit hole!

The UK's OK but London is a right dump inhabited by twats aplenty

hence the fact that you can still buy tabs and watch F1 cars whizz round a track whilst plastered in Malboro logos.

Nah they banned that shit (the advertising that is, not the F1 unfortunately)

This doesnt stand up to scrutiny doggy. If private healthcare in the UK is really vastly inferior to what the NHS provides then why are so many willing to pay for it on top of what they already contribute to the NHS through taxation? Its not really plausible to suggest that they are all well to do idiots

BECAUSE WE'RE FUCKING ENGLISH!!!

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    move to our country so you can watch musical 'geniuses' such as Tugga War and Mr Wong on our home grown urban music stations.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    move to our country so you can watch musical 'geniuses' such as Tugga War and Mr Wong on our home grown urban music stations.

You can't just leave it there, man...

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

this guy should be serving me kebab not making uk surf-dancehall.

channel u rocks, it's a shame my dealers video is not on the rotation anymore.
    honorable mention goes to N-Dubz - better not waste my time. getting your chav cousin on the hook.
    some reason it's catchy though.

• theres a record dealers channel on our satellite Telly

• Someone told me that you only get 14 days statutory holiday a year in the US, is that true?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    There are no statutes regarding vacation as we call it. Other than federal holidays such as Independence Day, etc.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Re: Channel U. I didn't think anyone other than Chavs and me watched it! I consider it one level up from YouTube (Kersall Massive etc.). Although, a lot of the kids have skill, despite the identikit shoplifter outfits.