MAC What and When

Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
I need to get a new laptop. My 1996 Dell just isn't cutting it... I need help.. few questions..I like the 13inch(compact)... Any complaints on screen size?MacBook or Macbook pro... Anyone have any real issues with the regular MacBook that would prevent me from saving myself a couple hundred dollars?When is a good time to buy? After holidays...?

Comments

• I have a 12" powerbook and I will probably buy one with a bigger screen next time around. I love my confuser though.

As far as sales and stuff...Xmas time is probably a good time...but tons of places will price match so if you find something on the net for cheap..shop around at local shops in your town because they would rather have your business for the same price if they can do it.

Also I know its been suggested to NOT buy the freshest version of a new laptop because you dont exactly know what bugs to expect. Its better to buy the last version of whatever model your looking at rather then the newest thing on the scene. Its easier to trouble shoot and find solutions if people have had the same problems...with a new invention your going to be the first one with the problems.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Macs dont ever really go on sale, so the best time to buy depends on your philosophy. If you proscribe to the "dont buy the newest, latest model" thing, then now is a good time, since word is a new version of the Macbook is due within the next month or so, so you may get a deal from someone looking to get the new one soon, and most of the bugs have been worked out of the current model. If you must have the cutting edge, latest and greatest, then hold off until the new models are released.

As far as differences between the Macbook and Pro go, they arent that big, unless you compare the low-end Macbook with the hi-end Pro. There is the obvious cosmetic difference, and the pros have larger HD's and more connectivity options, but will you really be using them? Unless you are doing serious graphics or you are going to base a studio around this machine, I think most people would be fine with the MacBook, spend your extra money on RAM.

• Apple just released some nice new iMacs.... the base line is a 17" screen, dual intel chips, decent ram & HD for $899 (with academic discount). On the high end you have the 24" (yuP) iMac.

Also, what asstro said. Even the low-end macbook will suit you fine long as you're not doing intense video or graphics, just remember to pick up a 1 gig ram stick from www.crucial.com. They'll try to tell you you need to get "matching pairs" but they are misinformed.

The 13" screen feels fine to me, although the shiny screen takes some getting used to. Overall a good buy, plus you can always pick up a cheap VGA LCD screen if you want.

Also, big apple press conference tomorrow (the 12th).... probably on the iPod updates and video offerings.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    the matching pairs thing gives you dual channel memory, which allows you to read on one channel while writing on the other. It depends on what you use your system for. If it's for photoshop, then I would highly recommend it. Whereas if you're just surfing the web and using microwave, then it's not so important. Basically, any app that requires a lot of memory activity (reading/writing), it'll be a good look.

now about buying models, just buy what you need, prices for macs are standardized. You can sometimes buy refurbs on apple's site or you can purchase through the educational discounts program.

Do what feels right for you, there is no RIGHT time to buy. A lot of the bugs people worry about from a new release is overhyped. So take that with a grain of salt.

I have not heard of an abnormal spike in problems w/ the release of the latest models to be honest. There will always be small problems w/ every release, nothing is perfect in life.

• the matching pairs thing gives you dual channel memory, which allows you to read on one channel while writing on the other. It depends on what you use your system for. If it's for photoshop, then I would highly recommend it. Whereas if you're just surfing the web and using microwave, then it's not so important. Basically, any app that requires a lot of memory activity (reading/writing), it'll be a good look.

I forget the website, but they did speed tests and found even on programs that utilized it, a 3% increase. That's not really anything to write home about. Plus a 1 gig stick is about the same as 1 512 megs, but with 2 slots you get 33% more RAM, because 2 512 megs = 1 gig but 1 256 meg and 1 gig = 1.25 gigs.

• the matching pairs thing gives you dual channel memory, which allows you to read on one channel while writing on the other. It depends on what you use your system for. If it's for photoshop, then I would highly recommend it. Whereas if you're just surfing the web and using microwave, then it's not so important. Basically, any app that requires a lot of memory activity (reading/writing), it'll be a good look.

Interesting - if you were to get matching pairs, would that enable you to record a mix live from Microwave into a program like Audio Hi-Jack pro?

WHY THE FUCK IS IT SO HARD TO RECORD A MIX!!!!!!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I've read that too, but it's one of those great myths that's up in the air. Personally, if I was doing some high end work, I would just max it out to 2gb (1gb in each slot). Rather than fiddling around w/ 512......

Slots are precious in macs in general, so if you can at least buy one 1gb now and you can always have the option to upgrade later to 2gb.

if all you have is 512mb for ram, then yes recording Microwave while playing will be tougher. Get more memory......

I use soundstudio and it hasn't given me any problems.