Malcolm X : Message to the Grass Roots LP??

JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Can anyone tell me anything about this record? Potential historical / monetary values, pressing quantity or demand? Just curious if anyone has seen it or new anything about it.Copyrighted in 1970 by Charisma Dist. Detroit Mi.Distributed by All Platinum Record. Co. Jersey.

Comments

• Here's some info:

http://www.moviegrooves.com/shop/malcomxgrassrootsspeechlp.htm

It must be still in print & has gone through various issues. All the copies that are up on ebay don't have the "39" on the left corner & are in b/w, not green.

peace

h

• Thanks for the info Haz.

I dont think its the Paul Winley pressing though... I think that one looks like this:

Im sure its the same speech.... I just dont know about this particular pressing.

• Thanks for the info Haz.

I dont think its the Paul Winley pressing though... I think that one looks like this:

Im sure its the same speech.... I just dont know about this particular pressing.

I made an edit to my post. There are re-issues with a similar cover to yours, excluding the # 39. Perhaps the OG pressings were part of a series?

It may be a later pressing - the date on the back of your lp says 1975 (I think, the eyes are starting to go). If I'm not mistaken, Malcolm X was dead for a while by then...

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

The original pressing (AFAIK) was on Afro American Books & Records out of Detroit.

The series was probably even later. I mean, it's Winley innit.

• Ohhhhhhhh..there ya go..thats pretty interesting..

.....still rather puzzling if I do say.

Good e-digging skills you got there.

Thanks again!

• The original pressing (AFAIK) was on Afro American Books & Records out of Detroit.

I dunno, I dont think this is the Winley one. The label # on the dead wax is MX-100

whatever that means....who knows?

This one is copyrighted in 1970 in Detroit.

• The original pressing (AFAIK) was on Afro American Books & Records out of Detroit.

I dunno, I dont think this is the Winley one. The label # on the dead wax is MX-100

edit - sorry, bad eyes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MESSAGE-TO-THE-GRASS...1QQcmdZViewItem

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

The original pressing (AFAIK) was on Afro American Books & Records out of Detroit.

All Platinum would mean national distribution, so that's not the original label, but it's probably from before the Winley series which is early 70s.

• Nope it says:

" Copyrighted 1970 by Charisma Distributors
    12117 Dexter Ave. Detroit Mi. 48206
    MX 100"

And then in the Bottom Right hand cornor it says:

" All Platinum Record. Co.
    106 W. Palisade Ave.
    Englewood, New Jersey 07631"

Which I just read on wiki was Sylvia company before Sugarhill???

• Which I just read on wiki was Sylvia company before Sugarhill???
    Yes.
    She even recorded a couple of albums for them.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    This is a pretty important speech by Malcolm. Anthologized a million times. Does anyone know what other speeches were pressed on vinyl? "the Ballot or the Bullet". I could probably look this up but I rather hear from the strut. I own that "No Sell Out" jernt, which is kinda wack.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I have Ballot or the Bullet in the Winley Series

Here's the Message local press

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Judging by the label that looks a whole whole lot like a Jamaican bootleg, which you will see of certain hip American records from time to time... usually these are only valuable or sought after if its somehow different or the OG is a very rare record which doesn't seem to be the case here

• Judging by the label that looks a whole whole lot like a Jamaican bootleg, which you will see of certain hip American records from time to time... usually these are only valuable or sought after if its somehow different or the OG is a very rare record which doesn't seem to be the case here

Yeah..with all this information that is a true possibilty. It is pretty heavy vinyl and has quite a few dramatic pressing defects that would also point to that theory as well. Thanks for all the input ya'll.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    usually these are only valuable or sought after if its somehow different or the OG is a very rare record which doesn't seem to be the case here

Well it does say "Message ot the grass roots" Good call on the Ja thing.