Borat yay or nay

AserAser 2,351 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
check his appearance at the Toronto International Film Fest here. Pretty damn hilarious.dude got women pulling a carriage while a donkey is chiiling ooot, hahaha.

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    "her vagine is like a wizard's sleeve"

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    "In Kazhakstan we have many hobbies: disco dancing, archery, rape and table tennis"

he gets a yay.

• I liked the Ali G show when I first saw it, but the movie seems kinda like ernest goes to camp, solo comedy character movies don't do much for me

• Been waiting for this for a while, the only thing that gets me irked is people trying to do their own Borat impressions and people saying because of him making fun of middle-eastern people, lighten up people, its comedy, besides that I think it'll be 10 times better than the flick he made as Ali G.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    The clips I've seen have been piss your pants funny...
    Cohen as Borat is comedy GENIUS IMO.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I liked the Ali G show when I first saw it, but the movie seems kinda like ernest goes to camp, solo comedy character movies don't do much for me

This shit will be nothing like Ernest Goes to camp. 2 entirely different levels of comedy.

Borat gets a yay from me.

the part in the preview when he is at the dinner table critiqing the wives is fucking hilarious.

• the part in the preview when he is in the rodeo arena and tells everybody he supports their "war of terror" is fucking hilarious.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    LOL Funny.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I think it'll be 10 times better than the flick he made as Ali G.

Yeah it looks like he learnt his lesson with that project. The reason why Ali G the movie was so painfully bad was that it took the satire of the TV character and treated him as a lovable dunce. The joke's not funny if everyone's mugging along with him.

After seeing the trailers for Borat though I have nothing but high hopes for this movie.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Bring back Bruno.

• LOL Funny.
    Did he say, "I would like to make romance inside of her"?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Borat's Myspace is !?!? and as for his homepage ...

Borat:

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

q&a at premiere

PiNPOiNT2K (5 days ago)
    hehe, 15 mins into the film, the projector broke. But Borat entertained the crowd along with michael moore and the director. I didn't see any of that, because i sold my ticket for $400 to some guy in line! What a night !

Mtei (2 days ago)
    haha a woman yelling make a romance inside of me lol

so nutty, kinda wish I was there just to witness it all.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts

• Borat is a new version of "blackface". But who cares about 3rd world countries? Fuck em, right?

• Borat is a new version of "blackface". But who cares about 3rd world countries? Fuck em, right?

This analysis is probably only a tad bit extreme, but par for the board.

Borat = Super "Yay"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Borat is a new version of "blackface". But who cares about 3rd world countries? Fuck em, right?

This analysis is probably only a tad bit extreme, but par for the board.

great simplification of the Borat character and Sasha Baron Cohen's work.

If anything I think its interesting that a guy of Israeli descent is able to spit out so much toungue-in-cheek anti-semitism and outragousness in general and get a pass from all he comes in contact with. If anyting it shows how others expect foreigners to act.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Borat is a new version of "blackface".

co-sign

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

co-sign

Et tu Bassie?

co-sign

Et tu Bassie?

who am i betraying?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

co-sign

Et tu Bassie?

who am i betraying?

my soul

• I deleted my post cos I obviously either misread, misinterpreted or am too stupid to get guzzo's point and it's probably not my battle to fight anyway. I tend to subscribe to the Lenny Bruce philosophy though.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I deleted my post cos I obviously either misread, misinterpreted or am too stupid to get guzzo's point and it's probably not my battle to fight anyway. I tend to subscribe to the Lenny Bruce philosophy though.

all I was saying is I don't see borat as blackface, I think his overall thing is not to insult eastern european folks but rather insulting those who take his characature (sp) and see it as a view of how people from Eastern Europe actually are

for example, when Borat addresses the rodeo he is not trying to make the stadium crowd laugh at him but rather make those in the seats be the joke.

• I deleted my post cos I obviously either misread, misinterpreted or am too stupid to get guzzo's point and it's probably not my battle to fight anyway. I tend to subscribe to the Lenny Bruce philosophy though.

all I was saying is I don't see borat as blackface, I think his overall thing is not to insult eastern european folks but rather insulting those who take his characature (sp) and see it as a view of how people from Eastern Europe actually are

for example, when Borat addresses the rodeo he is not trying to make the stadium crowd laugh at him but rather make those in the seats be the joke.

I'm with you, and that's why it's obvious that it was a big time *whoosh* for me.

To equate the work of SBC w/ "blackface" might be missign the point.

Either way, that shit always has me in stitches. Don't forget his other characters and other targets. It's all fair game, and rightly so.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    On the surface, it might appear to be so. Yet if you take the time to peel back the layers, you realize his ignorance is used to extrapolate the racial undertones of the world. IMO it is merely a cheeky form of social commentary.

Sure, people will latch onto the catchphrases, but that's the trade off with anything popular. The corresponding backlash is only nautral.

On that note, here are a few Ralph Waldo Emerson quotes that are quite applicable to soulstrut in general.....

"People only see what they are prepared to see."

"People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of their character."

i do think blackface (and similar comedic devices) is social commentary - it says something about how folks choose to make their point about the 'other'.

To equate the work of SBC w/ "blackface" might be missing the point.

hmmm, yes, that's it - it's not that i don't dig his schtick but that i just don't get it.

• its not that you dont 'get it' and therefore dont like it. thats fine, your cup of tea is your cup of tea. BUT its definitely a case of you not 'getting it' if you compare borat to blackface.