Definition of "Hard As F*ck" (Part Deux)

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Woman in wheelchair shoots mugger[/b]NEW YORK (AP) -- Margaret Johnson might have looked like an easy target.But when a mugger tried to grab a chain off her neck Friday, the 56-year-old Johnson, while riding in her wheelchair, pulled out her licensed .357 pistol and shot him, police said.Johnson said she was in Manhattan's Harlem neighborhood on her way to a shooting range when the man, identified by police as 45-year-old Deron Johnson, came up from behind and went for the chain."There's not much to it," she said in a brief interview. "Somebody tried to mug me, and I shot him."Deron Johnson was taken to Harlem Hospital with a single bullet wound in the elbow, police said. He faces a robbery charge, said Lt. John Grimpel, a police spokesman.Margaret Johnson, who lives in Harlem, has a permit for the weapon and does not face charges, Grimpel said. She also was taken to the hospital with minor injuries and later released.Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.The ladies have been killin' it (literally) this week!

Comments

• isn't shooting in self-defense only tolerable if the person is trying to cause physical harm to you? if someone tries stealing a posession of yours like say a car, or in this case a necklace, that doesn't give you the right to shoot them.

i'm assuming it's the fact that she's in a wheelchair that she got by with that.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Not too sure... but anyone who steals from an old lady in a wheelchair doesn't get a whole lot of sympathy from me

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    isn't shooting in self-defense only tolerable if the person is trying to cause physical harm to you? if someone tries stealing a posession of yours like say a car, or in this case a necklace, that doesn't give you the right to shoot them.

i'm assuming it's the fact that she's in a wheelchair that she got by with that.

He probably had his hands around her neck. The woman DID go to the hospital with minor injuries, after all. The man wasn't exactly trying to help her out. Good enough for me.

Women have the human right to defend themselves from muggers/rapists. Who's to say that the man wouldn't have tried to force himself on her? He was already physically on top of her, with his hands on her, injuring her. He forced the situation, and, had he been killed, it would have been his own fault.

• Dude got a bullet in the elbow. Its not like he's dead or paralysed from the neck down. I say good for this lady.

• I wasn't dissing the lady. Just speaking from the law's point of view. Any law heads in here? If he was choking her or "getting physical" with her, that's different from simply trying to snatch her necklace from her.

and to the dude who said he had sympathy for the lady cuz she was old and a woman, that goes hand in hand with the wheelchair thing.

and i understand she didn't KILL him by shooting him.

i just know that if some dude robbed my chain in the city at nighttime in a dark alley and i shot him, dude could press charges against me and the law could/would fuck me. there's a difference between life/health and material posessions. when your life is at risk, you are allowed to take the law in your own hands. when your material posessions are at risk, you can't without chance of fucking yourself.

• kinda like the urban legend of the burglar who broke into a home, got torn up by a pitbull and tried taking the home owner to court??

• actually JUST because someone breaks into your house, you don't have the right to shoot them unless you can prove they were attempting to cause physical harm to you or your family.

most people (especially west virginians) think just cuz someone's on your property or sets foot in your house, u can shoot them.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "There's not much to it," she said in a brief interview. "Somebody tried to mug me, and I shot him."

Her StepFather is the legendary Harlem Kingpin Bumpy Johnson.

• actually JUST because someone breaks into your house, you don't have the right to shoot them unless you can prove they were attempting to cause physical harm to you or your family.

most people (especially west virginians) think just cuz someone's on your property or sets foot in your house, u can shoot them.

this might all be very true by the letter of the law, but in a juried case, i have a hard time believing he will win.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    actually JUST because someone breaks into your house, you don't have the right to shoot them unless you can prove they were attempting to cause physical harm to you or your family.

Can we get a legal confirmation on this?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    actually JUST because someone breaks into your house, you don't have the right to shoot them unless you can prove they were attempting to cause physical harm to you or your family.

The laws regarding forced entry vary by state. This is not, however, a case involving illegal trespass.

• I took a political philosophy course this summer, and the Lockeian viewpoint is that if someone is trying to take your possessions they need to incapacitate you, either with force or intimidation. So Locke views any kind of robbery done with the victim present as an attack, and use of violence to defend oneself (including killing folls) as justified. I still have no idea what the actual US law is. That's higher education for you.

• Although they were outnumbered, two men fought off attackers in a south Minneapolis apartment robbery with a souvenir sword. At least one attacker left some fingers behind.
    Do you have to read the rest of the story? Hommie cut off the guys fingers with a sword!

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I think the law in California (not sure if this goes beyond the state) regarding self defense is that the force must be equal to what you're being threatened with. For example, if a guy has a knife and you have a gun you can't just shoot him, but if he tries to stab you or gets within close enough range to throw the knife (20 ft I think he said), then you can kill him.
    That was told to me years ago by a cop so don't quote me on it.

• I say good for this lady.

That lady should get a medal !

• I took a political philosophy course this summer, and the Lockeian viewpoint is that if someone is trying to take your possessions they need to incapacitate you, either with force or intimidation. So Locke views any kind of robbery done with the victim present as an attack, and use of violence to defend oneself (including killing folls) as justified. I still have no idea what the actual US law is. That's higher education for you.

I took a similar class, it was the hardest classes Ive ever taken. I felt like I was reading a foriegn language.