Songs with multi-layered vocals and/or overdubs

anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I'm looking for songs that are good examples of layered vocals/overdubs, any genre, any time period. I've always loved this stuff..Some examples that I can think of off hand:Marvin Gaye-Here My Dear lots of Beach Boys stuffsome Steely DanI'll post some specific songs when I get home.

Comments

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    hi miss anasarcasm,

cocteau twin. later period. 15-20 vocal overdubs in each song. wildly layered, but not so terrible sounding.

lots of the rap shit is all doubled up. like 2pac's later pre-posthumous stuff. but that sound is for shit, really.

last of the blacksmiths, a folk band, just put out a record, with 3 dudes who sing melody, counter-melody, and harmony. 3 part vocals with banjo, wurlitzer, and pretty jangle guitars. low on overdubs, but hi on vocal parts.

do you like industrial music? whole new terrain of overdub. rerouting main vocal parts through distortion, into ring modulators, and stereo simulators. chicago, '90s era wax trax type shit. pigface, chris connolly, doubting thomas, ogre, martin whatshisname.

judith & holofernes, a portuguese band that plays semi-tradition folklore laments (fado), have two singers, sometimes three, and they record multiple overdubs. saddest songs ever. sadder than they had once been alive. like a pet or a grandmother.

there's a lot more. but it's past 1. and my fetch just finished ftping. good luck. keep us posted.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Prince is well-known for multi-layers, still does it. He always said that with each vocal he did, he treated it as a possible lead vocal, meaning that if he were to move one more forward than the others, he would be happy with it.

Pick up the new Nikka Costa, she does all of the vocals on that one.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

perry farrell multi-tracked his vocals on nothing's shocking and ritual de lo habitual.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

perry farrell multi-tracked his vocals on nothing's shocking and ritual de lo habitual.

good one.

Multi-tap delays gone wild. Headphones on that record will reveal echoes 15 to 20 seconds after the vocal... still going. Perry was trying to compete with Bob Smith on Disintegration for the record of longest multi-tap.

Pitch detuning on ritual makes mine devil sounds come from speaker.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    The entire ABBA catalogue. They would overdub EVERY part of the song at least twice, some of them slightly out of pitch, to give the tracks a "symphonic" sound. Yeah.

- J

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    I was playing Daytona and almost died when I heard this;

go to http://www.segaxtreme.net/

then Sega Soundtracks on the side

then Sega Saturn

then Daytona USA and download the 2nd song

kinda has multi layered vocals soooooo good

actually there are some good soundtracks there if you are into sega games check them out

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Most modern r&b tracks are overdubbed. I've heard of 80 (I couldn't believe it myself) tracks deep in Pro-tools.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Minnie Riperton - Only When I'm Dreaming

so well done. so beautiful.