Willie Nelson Batches!!!!

volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Saw him in Park City Utah at an out door venue on Labor Day and it was ill!Nothing but hits people, Georga, Blue Eye's Crying, Lucenbock (SP) TX, On The Road Again, Alway on My Mind, Hank Williams Medly, a freakin Django Reinhart instrumental where he just killed it on the guitar!!!!!!! The hits just kept comming, every song you know and love and remember growing up with. Did a new song call Superman with the opening line of "Too much pot and too many pills" I know he's country and he doesn't have any breaks, but he did an LP with Booker- T and he's one of the coolest 70 year old around. So lest give it up!!!!!!!!!!! Please to insert "And I don't even like coutry music!" gremlin.

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I'll be the first to add that his shows are on a redneck Grateful Dead vibe, but still IT'S WILLIE NELSON BATCHES!!!!

• i'll say word to that. i saw willie a couple years ago and dude has classics.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    His song "Night Life" is unfuckwithable

• And "Shotgun Willie" is on the funk tip

• i close out every saturday night at the club with "the party's over"... the bartenders love it

on "night life"... also "shotgun willie" is

you can get the "essential willie nelson" double cd at best buy for like $15... it's about 50 songs and every one of them is great

• ^^^ you beat me to it!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Since there are a few Willie fans here I'll bore you with a story.....

Back when I used to do a radio show I was invited to a benefit concert in Willie's hometown of Abbott, Texas to raise money for a "Willie Nelson Museum".

Willie was not there but I got to meet a country legend, Floyd Tillman and drank beer with Billy Joe Shaver and his son(R.I.P.).

But the highlight for me was sitting with Willie's daughter Suzie who told some great stories about growing up with Willie as a father.

The one I'll always remember is the time she was in Elementary School and Willie was driving her to school one morning when he got an idea for a song. He pulled over to the side of the highway and searched the car for a piece of paper. When he couldn't find one he walked up and down the side of the road looking for a piece so he could write this song.

He finally found one and Suzie was very late for school. When the teacher asked why, Suzie embarrassingly explained the above story. The teacher asked her if she had a note to that effect and she said "No, my Dad could only find one piece of paper"!!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    He's playing three nights at the Hollywood Bowl starting tonight for any LA folk who want to peep. They still have cheap tickets ($8-17) left for all three shows.

• Great performer and the dude's voice is never changing. I remember growing up and my dad and mom would be playing dominoes with his parents until like 3am...just blasting Willie, while my sister and I tried to sleep. I'd awaken and shoot off my capgun, but no one ever noticed. Damn, I like the smell of those caps' smoke.

I did see him last year at his 4th of July festival and he absolutely killed the show.

word!

• saw him last summer and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

• He's playing three nights at the Hollywood Bowl starting tonight for any LA folk who want to peep. They still have cheap tickets ($8-17) left for all three shows.

I just got mines for Sunday

• there was a program about him on PBS recently that was pretty good.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Gettin record related, Willie recorded his first side across the river in Vancouver, Wa (1956). A dealer here once showed me a copy that he was going to donate to the local historical society. Apparently this shit is worth some cheese.

Early Willie Nelson