Hmmm...

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Earlier today I interviewed...You might know him better from...At any rate, it's Henry Butler and he's known as a legendary New Orleans pianist who studied under Alvin Batiste, Professor Longhair, Cannonball Adderley, etc. and is now part of the New Orleans Social Club with among others, members of the Meters.As of last year, Butler lived in the Gentilly section of New Orleans only 4 blocks away from the Mirabeau Avenue levee breach. He is sight-impaired and he evacuated to north Louisiana the day before the storm hit. He's currently living in Boulder, Colorado not sure where he will end up next. Anyway, I thought it was interesting in regard to a discussion we had on here the other day that Mr. Butler said the following...
Once they finally got buses in to the people at the Superdome and the Convention Center, they started herding people in without any wisdom or thought put into what they were doing. The way that they were separating families without any regard for a mother with child or a brother with sister...it was just like the slave trade.[/b]

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Plaese to post the entire interview.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Plaese to post the entire interview.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Here's the brunt of it...

In Gentilly, my house was four blocks away from the Mirabeau Avenue breach. We evacuated the day before the hurricane in a convoy of eight. We went up to north Louisiana and got to stay for ten days with the parents of one of the people with us in the convoy. Then I embarked on a tour, which started out as pre-arranged and quickly turned into a series of impromptu benefits for evacuees, including the New Orleans Social Club project recorded in Austin.

This past year for many New Orleans musicians has been a year of exposure. It???s also been a great year for performances as therapeutic release. With our musicians spread out all over the country, it???s bound to infuse the national diaspora with some new flavor. Within the next five to ten years, we should see an increased rhythmic influence and much more spirit. It seems at this point that we???re no longer used to seeing people being real and seeing performers reveal their soul personalities.

First and foremost it's about making good music. And if we're able to inform, encourage and uplift the spirit along the way, then that too.

They could have had Saddam without the war. Now we're spread thin and other countries are flexing muscles knowing the US can't do much about it. If you're going to be imperialist, you've got to have sound strategies.

On a good day, the Corp. of Engineers will admit that they didn't do an acceptable job.

There were National Guard troops sent in without instruction. If you mistrain or don't train soldiers in a certain area it will eventually come back to bite you. It's like a teacher that realizes that 50-60% of his students are failing. At what point do you start to look at the teacher instead of just the students? If your soldiers don't know what to do, do you blame the soldiers?

There's all kinds of things still happening. We have to worry about the house and all of the recording equipment that we lost. There are all sorts of insurance problems. And FEMA made some promises they didn't keep. At one point I thought it would be best to wash my hands of them and get the government out of my life, but now I need to move so I may have to go back and appeal the decision.

It would be nice if I could stay in the Denver metro area. Then I've also been talking to some people in New York, so maybe there will be next. I'm keeping all of my options open.

Now is not the time to be in New Orleans. The environment is bad. And the political leadership isn't making wise decisions right now.

• This past year for many New Orleans musicians has been a year of exposure. It???s also been a great year for performances as therapeutic release. With our musicians spread out all over the country, it???s bound to infuse the national diaspora with some new flavor. Within the next five to ten years, we should see an increased rhythmic influence and much more spirit. It seems at this point that we???re no longer used to seeing people being real and seeing performers reveal their soul personalities.

Never looked at this side of it. That's a pretty damn interesting thought. And of course that last sentence is

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Up one time for all of my imaginary contacts.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Once they finally got buses in to the people at the Superdome and the Convention Center, they started herding people in without any wisdom or thought put into what they were doing. The way that they were separating families without any regard for a mother with child or a brother with sister...it was just like the slave trade.[/b]

the slave trade did not involve busses, nor did it involve brining people away from a ravaged area. The slave trade involved capturing africans selling them to european ship captians, shackling them and setting them afloat lined up in a the bottom of a ship for the new world.

Hyperbole from one man does not make a statement true.

In truth what he is describing is actually more similar to the death trains of the holocaust, you know the holocaust Harvey, its that things that the jews did to themselves remember?

probably not considered as bad a tragedy in your eyes, so it may not matter as much, but ayways you should get your historical comparrisons in line before you go posting them to defend...well actually I don't know what you're trying to defend but I know this was a gentle lizard barb at me.

please come with facts and not heresay

ask your homie police cheif Eddie about such mistakes

• RACIST ANTI SEIMITE BASTORDS.

• [color:blue]YOU JUST GOT FLAMED ON THE INTERNET [/color]

• Once they finally got buses in to the people at the Superdome and the Convention Center, they started herding people in without any wisdom or thought put into what they were doing. The way that they were separating families without any regard for a mother with child or a brother with sister...it was just like the slave trade.[/b]

the slave trade did not involve busses, nor did it involve brining people away from a ravaged area. The slave trade involved capturing africans selling them to european ship captians, shackling them and setting them afloat lined up in a the bottom of a ship for the new world.

In truth what he is describing is actually more similar to the death trains of the holocaust, you know the holocaust Harvey, its that things that the jews did to themselves remember?

probably not considered as bad a tragedy in your eyes, so it may not matter as much, but ayways you should get your historical comparrisons in line before you go posting them to defend...well actually I don't know what you're trying to defend but I know this was a gentle lizard barb at me.

know when to hold 'em/know when to fold 'em

i fucking swear sometimes Adam--If Butler wants to compare that to the slave trade, so be it. I think he definetly qualifies as being able to.

• Once they finally got buses in to the people at the Superdome and the Convention Center, they started herding people in without any wisdom or thought put into what they were doing. The way that they were separating families without any regard for a mother with child or a brother with sister...it was just like the slave trade.[/b]

know when to hold 'em/know when to fold 'em

i fucking swear sometimes Adam....

I write because I love.

Either way I am pretty sick of people taking one event and equating it to something else. It gives a false idea about the true tragedy and lessens the idea of the previous event.

To make a clarification I beleive Harvey brought this up cause I mentioned in another post that M.Dyson's statement about the post hurricane evacuation of the city to be akin to the slave auctions[/b], quite different from the slave trade. My beleif is that yes it was fucked up and the displacement of families is really wrong, however statemtns like the one harvey posted or Dyson stated make it seem like it happened to everyone left behind. In the previous thread I mentioned spending time with a full New Orleans family that stayed together post Katrina.

This also can be filed under Harvey's idea that we should talk about hardships and hardships only, solutions aren't part of his plan to help. Only some twisted understanding of what happened based on exagerrated statements rather than facts. And any aid given shouldn't be based on needs of the poor people of the area but rather on the requests of his favorite musicians of yesteryear.

I have donated to Katrina-related charities several times throughout this year, I've done my best to raise awareness and get others to help in anyway they can. To have some twisted lizard-life fuck who's tunnel vision and need for conspiracy theories (not to mention his disbelief in the seriousness of the holocaust) come in and shit on my efforts to try to help a region of America[/b] and it's people by telling me giving charity is wrong and instead every person should act more like him like thats going to get people their lives back pisses me off to an extreme level.