Favorite version of People Make the World Go Round

iconicon 86 Posts
edited March 2016 in Music Talk
Embarassingly enough, it was the Moodymann version of this song that turned me on to it's greatness, so name some good versions.I'm listening to the Shirley Scott version now, which is genius, and I didn't know it existed until today.

Comments

• cleaveland eaton version has always been the one for me

• iconicon 86 Posts
    cleaveland eaton version has always been the one for me

haven't heard it, is it on half and half?

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    there are quite a few of these.

Derrick Harriot's version is great

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Embarassingly enough, it was the Moodymann version of this song that turned me on to it's greatness, so name some good versions.

I'm listening to the Shirley Scott version now, which is genius, and I didn't know it existed until today.

It's a great composition and difficult to mess up, but I don't think anything's messing with the Stylistics' original.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    TEMPREES!!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Micheal Jackson has a good version on one of his early solo joints.

My favorite is Angela Bofill's. Real Salsa-like.

• Peter Gaudions Blues Express

was on the platter last night

• best/most original interpretation has to go to johnny lytle. there must be hundreds of covers of this song and thank god because it has always been a favourite.

• I like the version on THIS:

SleazyRegal

• stylistics og and temprees for me.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    there are quite a few of these.

Co-sign the version by DH is topshelf,
    his reggae house band the Chosen Few
    dig a gang of sick soul/funk tunes
    PMTWGR being a awesome example.

• I think this one is nice....

Josh alert!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Stylistics OG
    Sir Edward

• there are quite a few of these.

I like how the vocals cut in on that track.
    Facemeltar status.

• There was a similar post a while back, somebody posted a version by The Gimmicks,. I really liked that one.

Thanks again for posting that, whoever it was.

Can someone drop some knowledge on wich one of they're albums that track is on?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Although I wouldn't call this Milt Jackson's BEST record, it still remains a personal favorite on CTI. It was one of the first uhhh...jazz fusion :cringe: records that really caught my ear and still has somewhat of a hold on me.

SleazyRegal

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

probably the best thing he's ever done, no question.

This comment can be attributed to a recent cocaine addiction. Next thing you know this dude'll be making up stories about finding 5 sealed copies of Quintessence at the flea market.

*jesus, I need to put down the pipe - I've edited this post twice. verbs are key in sentence construction.

• Embarassingly enough, it was the Moodymann version of this song that turned me on to it's greatness, so name some good versions.

I'm listening to the Shirley Scott version now, which is genius, and I didn't know it existed until today.

It's a great composition and difficult to mess up, but I don't think anything's messing with the Stylistics' original.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Not my favorite, but a good one not mentioned
    is by Young Holt Unlimited, on their Super Fly LP.

• I really like The Now Generation's version out of Jamaica which, um, coincedently enough I got from K in Canada...

• 30?!!! its still downloading... but yeah ive been collecting covers of PMTWGR for the last 4 years now... the only ones alluding me are the following...

peter gaudion - blues express <--- australian

merl saunders - san francisco after dark <-- private press

chosen few - ? <-- i saw it on ebay recently being sold by soulstrutter reynaldo and i think it went for bucks... is there a reissue of that one?

by far though my favorite version is the one done by Freddie Hubbard

is that redisdread/derrick harriot version raer? on 45? reissue?

-rich

• by far though my favorite version is the one done by Freddie Hubbard

There are many creative interpretations, but I'll always have a soft spot for this one. Beautiful.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    30?!!! its still downloading... but yeah ive been collecting covers of PMTWGR for the last 4 years now... the only ones alluding me are the following...

peter gaudion - blues express --- australian
    merl saunders - san francisco after dark -- private press
    chosen few - ? -- i saw it on ebay recently being sold by soulstrutter reynaldo and i think it went for bucks... is there a reissue of that one?

by far though my favorite version is the one done by Freddie Hubbard

is that redisdread/derrick harriot version raer? on 45? reissue?

-rich

Red Is Dread is the dub of the Chosen Few version, but I kind of prefer it. You can get it on Scrub-A-Dub Reggae (Harriott) which has been reished: http://Labcabin.com/cds/241/235/14651.html I'm sure the Chosen Few LP has been as well.

• You can get it on Scrub-A-Dub Reggae (Harriott) which has been reished
    Thanks for upping this at weirdrecords.com!

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts

• I've always liked the Hortense Ellis version.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

You can get it on Scrub-A-Dub Reggae (Harriott) which has been reished
    Thanks for upping this at weirdrecords.com!

You're welcome. I'm about to get off my ayass and record this:

• For a more recent version, I reccomend Innerzone Orchestra version with the J-88 remix.

• I like the version on THIS:

co-sign. Jerry Butler's band is nice on that album.
    SleazyRegal