Back To School, fools

djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
who's going back to school now? teaching? learning?I am doing both and I am pissed. What happened to summer, dudes?

Comments

• yeah man. i started last week. i went to school for biz like four years ago and dropped out, so its weird going back. At least this time im going for something im into, audio recording.

• i am starting my 4th year as a lecturer at uc riverside. class starts at the end of the month. it is only one day a week. i need to get ramped up for it. i want to also sit in on some classes outside of the art department and use the libraries some more this year. hate the 1:20 minute drive but now i got prius and i get close to 50 miles a gallon. need some mix tapes.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    AP What subject?

- spidey

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    How about I'm in an accelerated MA--we complete it in one year--and our summer started Thursday and school starts tomorrow? At least I like what I am learning.

• Been back for two full weeks now as a master's student at mizzou. Thinking of what music i'm going to play for the classes I TA for tomorrow... I want to play Justin Timberlake's My Love, but I know some of them will laugh.

• tomorrow is the start of week 3 already for me. at least its only 2 classes and i'm done...it only took 7 years!!!!

• What happened to summer, dudes?

Seriously. It went by way too fast.

I decided to go back to school after a hiatus. I'm a 25 year old senior who is currently away at school and I'm buggin.

My friends back home have dubbed me "The Godfather" haha

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    hard to believe but all of the sudden i am living in an apt. in brooklyn and in about an hour heading into the city for my orientation at NYU- starting a Ph.D. sociology program.

hard to believe- because two weeks ago i was still quietly riding "evacuee" status in texas, combing the countryside for records, making my own hours.

i've probably put 25 - 30 K on my car in the past year.

no longer.

the change is necessary.
    looking forward to being back in school.
    need the challenge and to refocus.

peace.

• 1st day of classes today, but the kids have been back since last week. Frosh week is madness. I can't wait for things to settle down.

• kid off to school, check
    wife teaching classes, check
    playing freaky music loudly at home
    with no witnesses but the dog
    (and she don't snitch)
    check

good luck with school, all u teachers & students !

• Yup, going into second year at Ryerson bit of a shock after such a long vacation.

• I'm finishing up my MA and teaching a class in Flash at a certain FL university. Only have thesis left, and have already defended my proposal, but things are still uber hectic. Also committed to being a research assistant on a new media/convergence project, taking a class on teaching methods, and am working 20 hours as tech support for the department - not that bad a gig for a grad student, actually. I'm pretty stoked to be back at school.... I like the variety of work, research, learning & teaching.

• AP What subject?

- spidey

Department of Art, Photography.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    In the immortal words of the Gawd himself (aKa Chainsaw):

"Tension-breaker. Had to be done."[/b]

• I start grad school (for the second time) today.

Mathematics baby.

• I took my daughter to her first day in first grade today. I was more nervous than her, I asked her if she was excited and she said, "ehhh, not realy, its just school." Only six years old and already a jaded New Yorker.

• My fiance started grad school two weeks ago. She already has tons of work so I am holding it down with the house work and such so she doesn't have to.

• My wife is taking the year off to stay home with the kids. I know she's going to miss teaching.

All I can think of this time of year is how little I notice it. I suppose when my kids are old enough for school it'll sink in, but all I can think of these days is the contrast between what a traumatic experience it was as a kid, and how little it means to me now.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Ashrock, what school are you at?

• 1st day of classes today, but the kids have been back since last week. Frosh week is madness. I can't wait for things to settle down.

HAZ: please to resolve that this is the year you shirk your professional ethics and bang some freshman in the dorms.

E'ryone else: Good luck this year; I wish I was still in school!!!

• fist day of classes today at the university of michigan. so it goes. i'm starting my 3rd year on a phd track in spanish. already taught a section of span 231 at 8am this morning - ugh. i know it isn't much to complain about in the 'real world' scheme of things, but it's not the coolest either. the slight morning chill meant i had to wear a jacket for the walk, but also means all the UGS BUNNIES should be out soon, too.

after that, went to the local cafe for a peach iced tea and read some gilles deleuze for a class i'm taking that starts on thursday.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

after that, went to the local cafe for a peach iced tea and read some gilles deleuze for a class i'm taking that starts on thursday.

What text?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    my last year at IU, im ready to graduate...why the hell did we have classes on Labor Day?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Work/school started up last week. I think this is my 11th year teaching, but I'm actually not quite sure?!?!?! Anyway, I have my regular schedule of 12th Grade Government/Economics and 2 blocks of 9th grade CA Studies (California History & California Literature). I am blessed with only 20 students per class so far, but my reputation is getting around with the little freshmen, and they are switching from their other CA Studies classes and transfering into mine! Last year I had 64 freshmen compared to only 40 for the other 2 CA Studies teachers. I should be happy kids like my class, but gotdamn if grading that many papers doesn't kill my fucking brain!?!?!!!!

• does that mean your class is fun and you are the bomb, or that you have an easy class

• I'm already back to my exile in Fredericton. The good part is the fantastic novelty of clean air, but this only last for three days and the bad part is everything else.

• Work/school started up last week. I think this is my 11th year teaching, but I'm actually not quite sure?!?!?! Anyway, I have my regular schedule of 12th Grade Government/Economics and 2 blocks of 9th grade CA Studies (California History & California Literature). I am blessed with only 20 students per class so far, but my reputation is getting around with the little freshmen, and they are switching from their other CA Studies classes and transfering into mine! Last year I had 64 freshmen compared to only 40 for the other 2 CA Studies teachers. I should be happy kids like my class, but gotdamn if grading that many papers doesn't kill my fucking brain!?!?!!!!

Word up, maestros y maestras! We started last week Monday, and it's been hectic as ever since. We took our 11th and 12th grade students to Marin Headlands for an overnight retreat on Fri/Sat, so I'm STILL recovering from that even w/Monday off! ALthough I feel like my summer's been over for a long time, it still feels really hectic and crazy to be in school every day again.

Anyway, hope y'all have a great year...

motown67 where are you teaching? I'm in Oakland...

Get some sleep! I'm already not getting enough!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Anna,

Our classes started this week, but I hold my first class on Thursday. My other one starts next Monday. I hope I have good, conscientious students this semester. I also have my tenure vote this Fall, which I'm not too worried about (my senior colleagues say my chances are excellent). I have a lot of research projects going on, so it's gonna be a busy semester. Best of luck to you, other educators, and students alike.

Peace,

Professor Stacks from Kakalak

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I teach at Oakland Tech, and yes I am the best goddamn teacher up in that place!

• quit my teaching job in vancouver and now i am in law school in england. the horror, the horror. any other lawstrut students out there?