THE WIRE- season four

12346»

Comments

• Namon's mom is busting some serious Lady Macbeth moves.

If there's one person in the series I want killed, it'd be her. In the last episode she was over the top.

In related questions, so what do you think the wire says about nature vs. nurture????

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Namon's mom is busting some serious Lady Macbeth moves.

If there's one person in the series I want killed, it'd be her. In the last episode she was over the top.

In related questions, so what do you think the wire says about nature vs. nurture????

In the case of Namon and his Mom, the nature v. nurture thing is completely twisted! The best thing she can think of for that cash supplement is to push him out on the skreet hustle?

This is my first season watching; am I correct in assuming that's how his pops got locked up in the first place?

I'm about to start watching Season 3 this week with a late pass in hand. That should give me a better point of reference for what's going on now.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

I'm about to start watching Season 3 this week with a late pass in hand. That should give me a better point of reference for what's going on now.

The HBO Episode Summaries are a pretty good resource for coming up to speed as well. I find them helpful, even for episodes I've already seen (you pretty much always miss something the first time through an episode)

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    This is my first season watching; am I correct in assuming that's how his pops got locked up in the first place?

his father (wee bey) murdered a gang of people. basically the season one chris.

i caved and watched the rest of the season yesterday. holy fucking shit.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    anyone seen any mp3s of the theme music?

Don't have the mp3 but so you know its called "Way Down In The Hole" and was composed by Tom Waits for his 1987 album Franks Wild Years.

but recorded for the show by;
    The Blind Boys of Alabama
    (Season 1)
    Tom Waits
    (Season 2)
    The Neville Brothers
    (Season 3)
    group of Baltimore teenagers
    (Season 4)

Q: What about "Way Down In The Hole" for season 4? Did you get someone to newly-record the song or did you pick a previously-recorded version? [Glen in Pennsylvania]

A: In keeping with the theme of the season, we sought out voices of middle-school-aged students from Baltimore. Rather than seek out a particular recording artist this year, we tried for the essential voice of our adolescent characters.

Beyond the musical choice, I think it works emotionally.

Specifically, our theme was arranged and produced by Doreen Vail, Maurette Brown-Clark and J.B. Wilkins. The young voices featured are those of Ivan Ashford, Markel Steele, Cameron Brown, Tariq Al-Sabir and Avery Bargasse. The musicians are Ronald Lindsey and Thomas Crosson. Mike Potter engineered the session.

All of the boys are from Baltimore and Tony Small, who directs a boys choir locally, found them for us

Personally I think the theme tune's got worse as the seasons go on.

Has anyone gone back and watched 'The Corner'? Also writen by the creator of the wire. It also has many of the same cast, it's quite funny to see some roles reversed. I'm pretty sure I saw the chief of police sitting on the corner sippin some juice.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    yo drewn, you realllllllllly should watch from season 1. there is so much build up and background stuff.

as far as namond's mom goes, yes she does seem pretty evil. you gotta think though, she was supported by the game, more than likely brought up in it. if that's all you know, why wouldn't you expect your kid to go into it?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    yo drewn, you realllllllllly should watch from season 1. there is so much build up and background stuff.

as far as namond's mom goes, yes she does seem pretty evil. you gotta think though, she was supported by the game, more than likely brought up in it. if that's all you know, why wouldn't you expect your kid to go into it?

Co-sign on the season 1. S2 good as well, although it does wonder a bit too much.

As for Namond's mum. She just a straight nastymoneyhungryskeeza. Expecting your child to go out to work to support you is seriously NAGL. But pushing your own child into that particular world is f*up. It doesn't matter where you grew up, if she wants the money, she should go out on the corner her damn self.

• lester freamon = black sherlock holmes.
    bunk/jimmy = watson.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Co-sign on the season 1. S2 good as well, although it does wonder a bit too much.

As for Namond's mum. She just a straight nastymoneyhungryskeeza. Expecting your child to go out to work to support you is seriously NAGL. But pushing your own child into that particular world is f*up. It doesn't matter where you grew up, if she wants the money, she should go out on the corner her damn self.

Once again the Wire comes up with a character that couldn't be on regular TV or film because she is simply too real for most people to believe. These folks really do exist. A guy like Bodie is powerless against a woman like Namond's mom.

And that scene where she is nursing the bottle of JD pretty much says it all....she has spent all her chips and can't do shit in the straight life. She has no choice but to make her son get that money.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

btw, what's the name of the actress that plays the girl that bought the nail gun?

i can't remember her name, but Snoop in real life is a Baltimore native who has pretty much grown up in the game and the system, having spent much of her teens in the juvie system. She is definetly drawing upon her own experience from what I read.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    She has no choice but to make her son get that money.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Once again the Wire comes up with a character that couldn't be on regular TV or film because she is simply too real for most people to believe. These folks really do exist. A guy like Bodie is powerless against a woman like Namond's mom.

And that scene where she is nursing the bottle of JD pretty much says it all....she has spent all her chips and can't do shit in the straight life. She has no choice but to make her son get that money.

And one of the best moments in last nights episode was when Bodie had to talk to Namond's mom about getting a package and he tells Namond that now he's got some insight into why Namond is the way he is! A small, but classic big of dialogue.

And what do people make of Carcetti? Is he really the "good" politician? Last season he cheated on his wife, but this time turned down his campaign manager. Has he really turned a corner? Will he be the reformist who fails or secedes?

One of the cool things in the show are the little strings that tie things together, such as the ring that's passed from Old Face Andre to Marlow to Omar to Officer Walker (so far). Much like the Hawiian totem from the Brady Bunch, unpleseant things seem to happen to the bearer. Not that I'm going to be too sad about crooked cop Walker.

• And one of the best moments in last nights episode was when Bodie had to talk to Namond's mom about getting a package and he tells Namond that now he's got some insight into why Namond is the way he is! A small, but classic big of dialogue.

And what do people make of Carcetti? Is he really the "good" politician? Last season he cheated on his wife, but this time turned down his campaign manager. Has he really turned a corner? Will he be the reformist who fails or secedes?

bodie's a great character. always there, always on the grind. always spitting out the side of his mouth. he's a remorseless fuck, but i almost find myself rootign for him. it was hilarious when him and his boy and their dates ran into carver and herc at the movie theatre.

i think carcetti's legit. i couldnt stand him at first, but its wsa mostly cause he was playing politics hyper competetively. but he was always a self styled crusader and i think he got humbled a little bit during the campaign by being the white guy trying to be mayor in a black city (he repeated it enough times). we'll see. i warmed up to him and his campaign manager (the dude) was cool as shit.

I wish chris and snoop would find naman's mom a room in one of their rowhomes. bitch.

• I thought it might be to get omar from the inside. But now I'm not sure. He knows the camera is there, maybe it's a stunt to see if he can figure out who is behind it, or eventually use it to his advantage (would be a hell of a way to set somebody up!).

I took the "talking back" comment to mean that he talked back to the cops, so they planted something on him or otherwise locked him up.

sounds right.

marlo is a devious motherfucker.but you gotta admire that he takes counsel from several people and often defers to their judgement. chris, being one of them. another smart and absolutely dangerous dude.
    anyone have any opions on the shooting of the rite aid cop? seemed out of character for that team to do something so pointless.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts

btw, what's the name of the actress that plays the girl that bought the nail gun?

i can't remember her name, but Snoop in real life is a Baltimore native who has pretty much grown up in the game and the system, having spent much of her teens in the juvie system. She is definetly drawing upon her own experience from what I read.

Felicia "Snoop" Pearson, played by... Felicia Pearson. As Jinx mentioned before, she is just gangster.

What's the deal with this week off? No new episode on demand tonight? Can't...deal....must....watch... how do you download episodes?

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts

Felicia "Snoop" Pearson, played by... Felicia Pearson. As Jinx mentioned before, she is just gangster.

What's the deal with this week off? No new episode on demand tonight? Can't...deal....must....watch... how do you download episodes?

type "pirate bay" in Google... all 13 episodes can now be found online.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

type "pirate bay" in Google... all 13 episodes can now be found online.

Can somebody please post instructions on how to use these torrent things?

Herm

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    [quote

type pirate bay in Google... all 13 episodes can now be found online.

Can somebody please post instructions on how to use these torrent things?

Herm
    download a client (utorrent or bitcomet are two common ones). you download a torrent file off piratebay....then you load it in the client and then it starts downloading...simple

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    so im re-watchin season one yesterday and lester is goin to the boxin gym to find a picture of avon and i think thats MARLO?!?!??!? tryin to sell him blue caps?

• get the fuck outtta here. which episode?

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    #3...the king stay the king.

Just wanted to bump the Wire discussion back into this thread. Finally got episode 48 posted into my On Demand cue (thank you for fucking nothing, Comcast Mountain View) and it's just amazing. Of course, that's nothing compared with the tease for episode 49, which if previous seasons act as guide, should be when some seriously heavy shit goes down.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    so im re-watchin season one yesterday and lester is goin to the boxin gym to find a picture of avon and i think thats MARLO?!?!??!? tryin to sell him blue caps?

That wasn't him.

By the way, I grabbed "Bunny" after finishing watching this season, but I'll change if someone already got it. Because of his views on drug legalization and education reform, he's become my favorite character.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Dookie = Young Stringer