THE WIRE- season four

Comments

• a police officer who was fairly recently running around the streets literally busting the heads of young bucks in the projects

What happened to him being a hot head?

sure you're not confusing Prez with Herc or someone else?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

OMG EMIL THINKS ALL WHITE PEOPLE LOOK THE SAME!!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Prez is one of my favorite characters precisely for the reasons you describe because he is the character I most identify with. Sometimes when I am in front of the classroom in my Marc Ecko-designed WIRE-themed limited edition hoodie, I like to close my eyes and imagine myself as Roland Pryzbylewski.

a police officer who was fairly recently running around the streets literally busting the heads of young bucks in the projects

What happened to him being a hot head?

No, Prez did use the butt of his gun to destroy a kid's eye because the kid was looking at him wrong at the beginning of season one.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

Prez is one of my favorite characters precisely for the reasons you describe because he is the character I most identify with. Sometimes when I am in front of the classroom in my Marc Ecko-designed WIRE-themed limited edition hoodie, I like to close my eyes and imagine myself as Roland Pryzbylewski.

I haven't been in front of a classroom in about six months. And as you know, I just started watching the wire last week.

You do the math.

Also I don't even have[/b] the limited edition marc ecko designed wire themed limited edition wire hoodie yet.

I haven't been in front of a classroom in about six months. And as you know, I just started watching the wire last week.

You do the math.

Also I don't even have[/b] the limited edition marc ecko designed wire themed limited edition wire hoodie yet.

Way to put Oliver on blast! Wouldn't it be scandalous if it emerged that he never even had a limited edition marc ecko designed wire themed limited edition wire hoodie?

Nonetheless, you have it in your head--I know your mental image of yourself involves a limited edition marc ecko designed wire themed limited edition wire hoodie.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Way to put Oliver on blast! Wouldn't it be scandalous if it emerged that he never even had a limited edition marc ecko designed wire themed limited edition wire hoodie?

In all fairness I did just get a poster in the mail. so it may be too early to suggest that he's [i]disconnected from the post office.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Waaaaay too much male nudity this year

3 episodes ....2 weiners

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

In all fairness I did just get a poster in the mail. so it may be too early to suggest that he's [i]disconnected from the post office.

I gave 'em your address so if the hoodie isn't there yet, they probably got slowed up on the corporate end.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

I think the true inconsistency in the character was his act of brutality within the show's first three episodes, when the writers had not yet determined just who he was or what they ultimately would do with him--subtract that, and I think he emerges as a much more consistent and believable character. Basically a nice guy, easily intimidated, with a tendency to f**k up dangerously, and a borderline autistic affinity for certain investigative tasks.

This is a line of argument I can agree with. If we assume that the act of brutality is the behavioral anomoly, fine, perhaps there is some consistency there.

Even still though, I find it hard to believe that any officer that has had any real street level duties where he's had to confront kids in potentially dangerous situations on the street doing illegal shit is going to suddenly be a helpless deer-in-headlights in front of a group of kids that are doing little more than talking relentessly and refusing to pay attention. Certainly it's a different dynamic, but I think it's somewhat ridiculous to assume that Prez is going to turn into Noz in the classroom... regardless of how similar their names, hair-cuts, and "borderline autistic affinity for certain investigative tasks" may be.

"My name is Mr. Noz***ki. You can call me Mr. Noz***ki."

All that being said, I do like Prez as a character and the show certainly paints him with an air of unmistakable sympathy. I'm not mad at that.

-e

Even still though, I find it hard to believe that any officer that has had any real street level duties where he's had to confront kids in potentially dangerous situations on the street doing illegal shit is going to suddenly be a helpless deer-in-headlights in front of a group of kids that are doing little more than talking relentessly and refusing to pay attention.

Yeah, but if we ignore that instance of brutality, we are left with Prez acquitting himself in the following ways when pushed into the street:

*Shooting up his own squad car

*Practically putting his hands over his eyes when Kima brings him along to a strip club

*Getting nervous and shooting a fellow cop

The guy is clearly a disaster in the street and nervous as hell, and for that reason efforts have been made for most of his career to keep him off it.

I'm just saying--I don't find it implausible that this personality type would be unnerved by a classroom full of kids.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

Yeah, but if we ignore that instance of brutality...

I REFUSE TO IGNORE BRUTALITY IN ANY FORM!

I totally see your point, but I'm being stubborn about that original brutality incident. It happened, dammit!

Anyway, the show is amazing, so who really gives a fuck what I think about Prez?

-e

I don't mean to bark at Emil here but seriously, this is kind of silly debate to carry on.

If you rewatch the episode where Prez smacks that kid in the eye (I watched it last week so it's fresh in my memory), Prez is CLEARLY 1) nervous and more importantly 2) trying to prove something to Carver and Herc, i.e. "I can be down too!"

In that context, his actions were surprising but not incongruous with the character we've come to know. He was out of his depth and out of his league and overreacted because he was stupid.

Even still though, I find it hard to believe that any officer that has had any real street level duties where he's had to confront kids in potentially dangerous situations on the street doing illegal shit is going to suddenly be a helpless deer-in-headlights in front of a group of kids that are doing little more than talking relentessly and refusing to pay attention.

Yeah, but if we ignore that instance of brutality, we are left with Prez acquitting himself in the following ways when pushed into the street:

*Shooting up his own squad car

*Practically putting his hands over his eyes when Kima brings him along to a strip club

*Getting nervous and shooting a fellow cop

The guy is clearly a disaster in the street and nervous as hell, and for that reason efforts have been made for most of his career to keep him off it.

I'm just saying--I don't find it implausible that this personality type would be unnerved by a classroom full of kids.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I concede defeat.

-e

Yeah, but if we ignore that instance of brutality...

I REFUSE TO IGNORE BRUTALITY IN ANY FORM!

I totally see your point, but I'm being stubborn about that original brutality incident. It happened, dammit!

Anyway, the show is amazing, so who really gives a fuck what I think about Prez?

I suspect Prez is some sort of proxy for your feelings about Noz.

If you rewatch the episode where Prez smacks that kid in the eye (I watched it last week so it's fresh in my memory), Prez is CLEARLY 1) nervous and more importantly 2) trying to prove something to Carver and Herc, i.e. "I can be down too!"

In that context, his actions were surprising but not incongruous with the character we've come to know. He was out of his depth and out of his league and overreacted because he was stupid.

Hmmm... that's a pretty convincing reading.

Perhaps I'll rewatch tonight and return to joust with you tomorrow.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

I suspect Prez is some sort of proxy for your feelings about Noz.

Keen obvservation. I have drunk-dialed the boy Noz on more than one occasion.

Ayo?

-e

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

from my response to emynd 2 pages ago:

"Remember, He is that Major's son-in-law, and he got slid up the ranks without really paying his dues. He is a classic failer-upper. Everytime he fucked-up(a lot) he got shifted somewhere else, usually cushier, out of the way details to make his Father-in-law happy. Then there's all the guilt he's carrying for cracking that kid(after really following along with Carver and Herc, doing what he felt was expected and a usual getting it all wrong) and then with the shooting in Season 3."

Am I on all your *ignore this user* list?

In all honesty, I was taken aback by it too when I first saw it because I saw S1 retroactively and had a different impression of Prez. So I think your initial read was correct to a large extent: Prez's character was still in the process of being formed.

However, given that the incident is what forced Prez off the street and into the office where his true gifts became manifest, it seems more likely that it was a necessary device in order to place Prez where he needed to be.

And his general awkwardness, even early into S1, seems consistent with how he overreacted in that situation. He clearly looked like a kid with something to prove to these street-tough cops which is why he stepped to that kid on the car with a, "get off my hood, shit-bird" trying (unconvincingly) to talk tough.

In any case, the fact that Prezbo is shook in front of the kids seems totally in character. Prez is a puzzle solver, not a leader.

BTW, who has seen 41 so far? I won't spoil anything but...

He clearly looked like a kid with something to prove to these street-tough cops which is why he stepped to that kid on the car with a, "get off my hood, shit-bird" trying (unconvincingly) to talk tough.

"And I've got nothing for yeeeeeew"

• ok, lets move on to other topics.

whats gonna happen to bodie? is he freelance now?
    i had a vision of him having some snipers 24-7 on the 2nd floor of that grocery store ready to take out marlo's killers when they step to bodie-bode.

ok, lets move on to other topics.

whats gonna happen to bodie? is he freelance now?
    i had a vision of him having some snipers 24-7 on the 2nd floor of that grocery store ready to take out marlo's killers when they step to bodie-bode.

Bodie is freelance.

The Barksdale crew is effectively null and void (at current). Slim has partnered up with "the co-op" and is helping supply weight to various small crews around town, including to Bodie. Marlo, if you recall, is not part of the co-op however and has his own route to acquire drugs.

What will happen to Bodie? Who knows? Maybe he'll end up being Chris n' Snoop-ed. Maybe he'll finally walk the walk and put a bullet in one of Marlo's boys.

Ep 41 will address this issue in slightly more detail by the way.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Maybe I remember this wrong, but were Prez and the other 2 drunk off their ass when they went back to the towers??? That gives a completely different feel to his act of brutality from his usual geeky and uncoordinated self. Personally, I don't know what's going to happen to that guy. Once you loose control of a classroom, you can't really get it back. He has absolutely no presence as an authority figure or someone that the kids can relate to which often mean death or complete boredom for the kids!

Here is my one big question. Is that school administrator women that came in to save Prez twice Cutty's ex-girl that he was checking out when he got out the joint in Season 3?????

And I gotta say, Episode 3 was the best so far this season. EVERYTHING hit me in that episode.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i just watched the prezbo beatdown episode again last night and basically they were drinking, prezbo watches herc and carver beatdown some people. they start walking back to the patrol car and prezbo sees the kid sitting on the car. he tells the kid to get off the car, kid refuses to move, and then dude hits him.

When do the bodies get discovered, and will it boost carcetti's shot at mayor?
    it's basically the way he's going to win the election

Will Michael ice grill his way to the top of the marlo food chain?
    i think marlo and cutty are going to be battling over him but cutty will win eventually

When will omar get his comeuppance?
    i don't know what comeuppance means, but you see in the preview for episode 4 that omar is robbing the co-op card game that appears to have marlo playing in it

Why does prez say dumb shit like "my name is mr. Pryzbylewski..... and... you can call me mr. Pryzbylewski"?
    he does it in a feeble attempt to assert authority over the kids.

• Maybe I remember this wrong, but were Prez and the other 2 drunk off their ass when they went back to the towers??? That gives a completely different feel to his act of brutality from his usual geeky and uncoordinated self. Personally, I don't know what's going to happen to that guy. Once you loose control of a classroom, you can't really get it back. He has absolutely no presence as an authority figure or someone that the kids can relate to which often mean death or complete boredom for the kids!
    it can be done, but itll be a herculean task. especially after freezing up when the girl got sliced.

Here is my one big question. Is that school administrator women that came in to save Prez twice Cutty's ex-girl that he was checking out when he got out the joint in Season 3?????
    i dont think its the same lady

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    man, i don't want to spoil anything but if you watched that two part special on the wire, it kinda tells you what's going to happen with the school situation

• Will Michael ice grill his way to the top of the marlo food chain?
    i think marlo and cutty are going to be battling over him but cutty will win eventually
    definitely! i cant believe i missed that!

When will omar get his comeuppance?
    i don't know what comeuppance means, but you see in the preview for episode 4 that omar is robbing the co-op card game that appears to have marlo playing in it
    oh shit! that sounds like a mess of bullets, but possibly a reason for marlo to establish some "common enemy" relations with the co-op. beef wise, i am still trying to see chris/snoop vs. omar and friends (anyone catch the part where he threatened to send his boy into the stick up in a bunny suit????)

and...
    not having seen 41 yet, i gotta assume that bodie takes marlo's package. AYO!!!!

• man, i don't want to spoil anything but if you watched that two part special on the wire, it kinda tells you what's going to happen with the school situation
    you mean the two 30 minute things? i watched a little bit abou tht eone where they were talking about the realism and bmore vocab. i'll try to avoid them then. prez is painful to watch. everyone, please believe that there are many many people like that in these public schools.

completely

btw. i am going through the process of becoming a social studies teacher in my high school. tripledouble = prezbo!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    be SURE to watch those specials after everything is done. i gained a whole new appreciation for the show after watching them

• be SURE to watch those specials after everything is done. i gained a whole new appreciation for the show after watching them

nodoubt.i prolly wont last but a couple days before i watch next weeks episode as well as the trailers.im addicted.

anyone think bubbles having an apprentice will get him to clean up? bubbs is definitely a good dude

oh shit! more cutty/marlo plot thickens drama....when cutty walked by the dude whose life he spared, wonder what that kid was thinking? cutty is pretty accessible right now and definitely is not packing. jesus, that has potential to get sketchy.