Boredoms Appreciation Post!

SooksSooks 714 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I just saw these guys yesterday at the FIMAV festival in Victoriaville, Quebec, and it was face-meltingly good. Amazing. Three drummers plus Tetsuo "Eye" Yamatsuka screaming and playing the electronic boxes - 2 hours, no pauses, all continuous drumming and yelling and space noises. They're playing tonight in New York, so New Yorkers - don't sleep!

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I like the Boredoms. The Boredoms do not cause boredom.

Doesn't the word boredom look really weird?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    damn! I miss them everytime the come over tot he states...I was actually gonna start a thread like this today! I got "Seadrum" and it made me start listening to "Super Are", I have been driving around listening to that for the last couple days. truly a facemelting psych band...good good shit.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    Co-sign.
    Never a big fan of the Boredom's music, but their show in Chicago last Saturday was monster psychedelic. The silver ball things that Eye was using as an electronics controller was insane. I'd say it was Popol Vuh meets Niagara meets Phantasm; throw in some killer grass and all was a very enjoyable and (for me) surprising night of music.

• word!

thanks for the heads up, cuz i haven't heard shit about it...

seen 'em about four or five times, and they consistently get better every time.
    the show reads as sold out, but hopefully i can cop a ticket.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    YES!!!

I just got their new album in the mail yesterday, looking forward to playing it in a few.

A few years ago, I liked the setup Eye had when he would play a reel-to-reel machine. If I can find it, I'll find a way to up it.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

word!

thanks for the heads up, cuz i haven't heard shit about it...

seen 'em about four or five times, and they consistently get better every time.
    the show reads as sold out, but hopefully i can cop a ticket.

its been sold out for a while man, good luck...

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    silver ball things that Eye was using as an electronics controller was insane.

holy shit - when that started, going from a pitch-black stage to him holding one in each hand screaming while huge explosion noises went off? Damn. What were those things?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I just saw these guys yesterday at the FIMAV festival in Victoriaville, Quebec, and it was face-meltingly good. Amazing. Three drummers plus Tetsuo "Eye" Yamatsuka screaming and playing the electronic boxes - 2 hours, no pauses, all continuous drumming and yelling and space noises. They're playing tonight in New York, so New Yorkers - don't sleep!

Yes, I saw them play with that exact same set up 3 years ago. It was great. I can't believe their stamina drumming straight with no breaks especially since they hit the them so hard.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    drumming straight with no breaks

possibly the most mixed message ever posted on soulstrut.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    drumming straight with no breaks

possibly the most mixed message ever posted on soulstrut.

Chicks, man...

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    The Boredoms. Those fools are off the hook fo sho! MUCH better live than on record. Don't miss them live. Those are some CRAZY Japanese kids!

I got an e-mail of interest:

theboredoms@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: [the boredoms] Bowery Ballroom Tix For Sale Emergency[/b]

Hello I am sorry for I am not really a regular member of this board
    but an emergency has come up preventing us from going tonight to the
    Boredoms show. I am selling 4 tickets at a good price of only $10 each
    BUT you must buy all 4 tickets.

Anyone interested please email me at eraseracertie @ yahoo . com as
    soon as possible, first person to verify their email, cellphone number
    and make the paypal payment will get the tix, no excuses.

Thank you
    Shine On!

anybody have that "RE-Bore" vol 1? its a bunch of Boredoms stuff re-mixed by U.N.K.L.E....prolly the only thing he has done that doesnt bore the shit outta me...probably because it contains none of his music. I heart the Boredoms.

anybody have that "RE-Bore" vol 1? its a bunch of Boredoms stuff re-mixed by U.N.K.L.E....prolly the only thing he has done that doesnt bore the shit outta me...probably because it contains none of his music. I heart the Boredoms.

Yes, although the one by DJ Krush is also good too.

Yes, although the one by DJ Krush is also good too.

yeah, they are all good IMO...just so damn hard to grab on vinyl...and when you do see them they are $40+...

this place has the most consistent supply of Boredoms stuf domestically, but they seem to be out of vinyl at the moment...

http://www.forcedexposure.com/bin/search.pl?search_string=boredoms&searchfield=artist

• wow the just get better and better don't they?

managed to score a ticket, and didn't even have to go over face value; god bless the new new york.

yeah, those space ball things were totally berzerk; maybe some type of hand-held theremins with sample triggers that light up according to amplitude? whatever the fuck that was, it was probably some kind of toy in japan that eye decided to re-wire and put to his own use. that guy used to scare the shit out of me, but i met him a few years back when the played seattle, and he's just this really humble, kinda shy dude who likes to get his freak on and does it fifty times better than me... i saw a public access tape of him in japan diving into a bathtub of keyboards and kiddy music toys trying to re-create some sound that he had heard in his head.

i'll just cosign the "face melting-ly good" review.

"drumming with no breaks" means that the three drummers drum intensely and don't stop even for water for two + hours; and one of 'em is yoshimi, who put the cool in cool japanese girls.

mad respect for sooks for the heads up, massive thanks!

• CLabCLab 76 Posts
    y'all need to respect THE ORB.

sayin' tho.

y'all need to respect THE ORB.

sayin' tho.

whaaaaa!!!!?!?!?!?!? this is a Boredoms thread, not a techno thread...you cant even compare the two...the orb made ambient chillout house who gives a fuck crap dance music. The Boredoms blow the Orb outta the water...but it wouldnt take more than a fish fart to do that.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    what else did you catch at the victoriaville fest?

my buddy lives in victoriaville.. such a bizarre small town to attract that level of international attention.

when i went to visit him one time a number of years ago we were way out in the woods at his cottage.. decided to go for a beer at the local.. that was about a 30 minute drive away.. even further out into the woods...

at the side of the road was this totally run down tiny dive bar.. we go in.. the only chairs are lawn chairs randomly thrown around the one room spot... there's a fold up card table settup in the back where you bought beers from an old lady... they only sold labatt 50 (real headz know the deal) in cans.

anyhow a band took to the stage (whch was really no more than a large drum riser) and proceeded to SKRONK THE FUCK OUT.. like total beefheartian polyrhythmic prog rock INSANITY.. they were really really good.. there's like maybe twenty people there. at one point the crazy owner of the joint was trying to get everybody to dance so he took a 2 / 4 of labatt 50 and put it right in the middle of the floor and started handing them to everybody as they promptly filled the dancefloor.

good times

quebec rules!

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    what else did you catch at the victoriaville fest?

My partner and I had passes, so we saw lots of music - some good, some bad, some ehh, but usually pretty interesting. This year, for whatever reason, they invited Thurston Moore to program some of the concerts on one day, and so he invited a mostly noise based set of groups: Hair Police, Wolf Eyes, the No-Neck Blues Band, his own Dream Aktion Unit, Dead Machines, and Double Leopards. If you like noise, these were okay, there were some highlights, like Anthony Braxton playing with Wolf Eyes (although he occasionally got lost in the noise), and the Dream Aktion Unit did some good impossibly noisy bits. The No-Neck blues band were absolutely terrible, however, and I wanted to slap them all for thinking that not knowing how to play your intrument makes you avant-guarde. Apparantly they're not so bad on record - I wouldn't know, and nor would I buy their CD now. Dead Machines, a side project of Wolf Eyes were pretty bad, too.

The next day saw some more jazz tradition oriented bands, and they all played really well. Anthony Brazton led a sextet who seemed to improvise in groups, Willaim Parker led a 15-piece band, and the Peter Brotzman tentet played a super loud, high energy show with two drummers. They were so loud that they didn't bother with any mikes, just blared away. Peter Brotzman is like a bulldog with the saxophone.

There were some other pleasant surprises, too, like the solo shows. Mixed in through these days were three solo shows, the first an Italian double-bassist Stefano Scodanibio (Sp?), the second Xu Fenxia (sp?) on the chinese guzheng, and finally Pascal Contet (?) on accordion. These were all great, especially the bassist. It may seem strange to watch a solo bass show, but this guy was incredible. He was in total command of the bass, and made it produce some strange noises, really really great. I was definitely curious to see what a solo accordion show would be, and this guy was good, too, with electronic noises, long drawn-out passages not boring at all.

There were also a few other less-classifiable pieces, too, like Tenko, who along with the Boredoms, had three drums kits, who managed to stray rhythmicly all over the map (in a good way) while Tenko herself screamed and wailed. Also, Ikue Mori did a duet with herself on computer (she barely moved the whole time) and Zeena Parker on harp. There were also some French minimal groups who very quietly scraped away at guitars or puffed on saxophones, and they mostly put me to sleep, and a French guitar / harp duet that my partner described as "French pretention at the apex of irrelevance". There was a Kid Koala / Martin Tetreault duet on many turntables as well, and while I didn't enjoy Kid Koala's tour last year (?) this was more fun, since they weren't really trying to be rhythmic or anything, just make some cool sounds.

I would've like to see the Nels Cline Singers, and I heard that they were good, but they played before I got there.

So, overall, lots and lots of music, and it was fun to just go to everything and see how it turned out. If the music was bad, tt would just end in a hour anyway. There are a lot of concerts in a day, however (1 PM, 3, 5, 8, 10, 12) and by the end of the day I was pretty exhausted. Good times, though, and Victoriaville is indeed a weird place. I don't know why the festival is there either. The weather was absolutely terrible all the way through, so it was fine to spend all the time indoors.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Eye put out a CD that was all stuff to sample. It was pretty cool with lots of Japaneese TV cuts.

Side project : DJ Car and MC Hellshit (or visa versa). Forget what Boredoms this is but it's cool.

Audio Action (is that right?) Regular Beastie boy style beats with regular Boredom style vocal flip outs.

Cats did a show in Seattle about 8 tears ago and they had nothing but bumperstickers on. Must have hurt like hell to get those off.