THE WIRE- season four

Comments

• whoah I am bugging on this little youtube clip.

so one of the four kids in season 4 is Wee-Bey's seed!?!?

• I am loving these HBO Wire specials on Youtube right now.

So Bubbles' nephew is one of the Season 4 kids also?

Seth Gilliam aka Carver = gay?

Michael K. Williams dropping much knowledge.

John Waters: loving that they used this guy purely on the strength of his being a Baltimore native.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I am loving these HBO Wire specials on Youtube right now.

So Bubbles' nephew is one of the Season 4 kids also?

Michael K. Williams dropping much knowledge.

John Waters: loving that they used this guy purely on the strength of his being a Baltimore native.

Not his ACTUAL nephew, I don't believe, but a street kid he has taken under his wing, trying to get the kid back into school

and John Waters is kind of the Godfather of Baltimore film, really...there would not be a lot of the resources in Baltimore for film if Waters and his Dreamland colleagues hadn't basically built it from zilch.

Also, Waters' best friend and his casting director since high school is Pat Moran who does all the Wire's Baltimore casting. Waters is a pretty important figure in the region as well as indie/underground film history. And a very nice man!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Why would this be any more worthy of remark than Michael K. Williams not actually being gay?

• yeah I understand Waters is a pretty important guy in Baltimore film. good to see him on these clips; I have always had love for the dude

• Seth Gilliam aka Carver = gay?

Why would this be any more worthy of remark than Michael K. Williams not actually being gay?

no just wondering. his little interview clip about his only refuge in high school being the drama club plus the way he was talking must have set off my homophobic pre-conceived prejudices. anyway just wondering. it would be an interesting contrast to his character on screen (esp with the Season 3 what-man-would-you-sleep-with joke with Herc).

And where in the specials does this come up? Did I miss it?

• Seth Gilliam aka Carver = gay?

no just wondering. his little interview clip about his only refuge in high school being the drama club plus the way he was talking must have set off my homophobic pre-conceived prejudices. anyway just wondering. it would be an interesting contrast to his character on screen (esp with the Season 3 what-man-would-you-sleep-with joke with Herc).

Dunno. HBO related, I suspected michael c. hall was gay, with the drama club and, well, playing a gay character, until I read an interview.

Oh yeah and I saw his wife

Oh yeah and I saw his wife

i don't know who that dude is, but that's a purdy lady!

So, wait, you don't have any evidence that he's gay beyond him having been in the drama club in high school? I mean, the drama club thing is shocking and all considering that he was sufficiently interested in acting to study it at Yale and then pursue it professionally, but still...

Not calling you a homophobe or anything, I just think it's funny that anybody could be surprised by the sexual orientation of somebody that theey don't know personally and have only encountered as an actor.

"He didn't seem gay on TV!"

• dude I am interested in the lives of the actors on this show. I am fucking obsessed with this Wire thing. that's why I asked if anyone had the backstory (ha ha) on the dude. anyway, NOT being drawn into a discussion on this. if nobody knows about dude, great. anyway can we talk more about this show please?

• I just think it's funny that anybody could be surprised by the realness of somebody that they don't know personally and have only encountered on CD.

I just think it's funny that anybody could be surprised by the realness of somebody that they don't know personally and have only encountered on CD.

So do I.

Is that intended as a dig at me?

Because if so, it certainly isn't reflective of anything I've ever said in seriousness.

Anyone that's actually been reading my posts would know that I've always maintained that rappers basically all = the dudes that were in the drama club in high school.

dude I am interested in the lives of the actors on this show. I am fucking obsessed with this Wire thing. that's why I asked if anyone had the backstory (ha ha) on the dude. anyway, NOT being drawn into a discussion on this. if nobody knows about dude, great. anyway can we talk more about this show please?

Check out this blog, then:

http://heavenandhere.wordpress.com/

David Simon himself recently posted in the comments section there--maybe he can shed some light on the question of Seth Gilliam's sexuality and/or hook you up with him. You know, tell you what modes of holleration Seth is most susceptible to and such.

I just think it's funny that anybody could be surprised by the realness of somebody that they don't know personally and have only encountered on CD.

So do I.

Is that intended as a dig at me?

Because if so, it certainly isn't reflective of anything I've ever said in seriousness.

Anyone that's actually been reading my posts would know that I've always maintained that rappers basically all = the dudes that were in the drama club in high school.

Uhm, I was Drama Club Vice president.....does that make me, uh, y'know...a Rapper?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Ashrock,

Cutty has got some twice on the series already!

In season 3 when he rejoins the Barskdale crew they take him to that house party and some girls take him into a backroom. At the end of the last episode where women were throwing their food and themselves at him, the last montage of scenes where they have the mayoral debate shows Cutty in bed with some unidentified woman watching the debate before he turns the channel to a football game.

• Anyone that's actually been reading my posts would know that I've always maintained that rappers basically all = the dudes that were in the drama club in high school.

"Give me my robe, put on my crown; I have
    Immortal longings in me."

"Lord, what fools these mortals be!"

"He hath given his empire
    Up to a whore."

"My words fly up, my thoughts remain below: Words without thoughts never to heaven go."

"This was the unkindest cut of all."

• Oh right I forgot about the house party skank scene.
    I just want him to get with those neighborhood ladies.

Which reminds me, is it me or does Cutty look a lot thinner from last season. I remember him having the prison workout buffness going on, but now I dunno, he looks a little gaunt. He should eat more of those plates of food!!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Oh right I forgot about the house party skank scene.
    I just want him to get with those neighborhood ladies.

Which reminds me, is it me or does Cutty look a lot thinner from last season. I remember him having the prison workout buffness going on, but now I dunno, he looks a little gaunt. He should eat more of those plates of food!!

Joel beat me to the punch but Cutty did get some from a neighborhood lady - the last one who came up to him (I don't believe we heard her talk though). It was at the end of Ep2.

• Another good episode last night. So many questions...

When do the bodies get discovered, and will it boost carcetti's shot at mayor?
    Will Michael ice grill his way to the top of the marlo food chain?
    When will omar get his comeuppance?
    Why does prez say dumb shit like "my name is mr. Pryzbylewski..... and... you can call me mr. Pryzbylewski"?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

"Like big paws on a puppy."

• Another good episode last night. So many questions...

When do the bodies get discovered, and will it boost carcetti's shot at mayor?
    Why does prez say dumb shit like "my name is mr. Pryzbylewski..... and... you can call me mr. Pryzbylewski"?

will marlo come to the table and ride with the co-op on the nyc "wal mart" crews?

when are snoop/chris and omar going to cross paths?

and most pressing...wha the hell is bodie gonna do with no muscle??? i cant count him out, but shit is looking kind of bleak.

prezbo's first day is like a crash course in what not to do as a innercity teacher...down to every minute detail. he's lucky he's got that lady backing him up (bodie could use that kindof muscle)

we could start taking bets on a bunch of things:

the mayoral race
    chances that weebay's boy (naman?) wont get completely caught up in the game
    chances that the blowjob incident doesnt make it into the race
    omars odds for survival
    omars new friend's odds for survival
    chances of another amazing bedroom scene with kima

add on

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

The whole Prez thing is one of the few things about this show that has struck me as unrealistic. I honestly don't believe that Prez--a police officer who was fairly recently running around the streets literally busting the heads of young bucks in the projects--would be so intimidated by his kids that he'd be unable to cope the same way naive-but-well-wishing teachers become deer-in-headlights their first few days on the job with the "bad" kids. What happened to him being a hot head? Additionally, certainly you can't realistically be police in Baltimore without learning how to be somewhat forceful and authoritative when hollering at the young folks.

Prez is one of the few characters in the show that doesn't feel particularly established or static enough. Yes, we know a lot about his history and he's been around since the first season, but his personality and motivations seem to change from season to season pretty dramatically. Or, perhaps to put it differently, he's one of the few characters on the show (maybe the only?) that seems not so much to "like a real person," but just acts as a vehicle for the narrative: an easy way for the show's authors and creators to tap into certain issues without having to introduce new characters.

Wanna explore officers using excessive force? How 'bout Prez? Wanna explore accidental officer-on-officer shootings? Let's have Prez do it! Now the school system... who'd be good for that? I got it! PREZ!

This is obviously a fairly minor criticism of a superb season so far, but I think the choice to transform Prez into the teacher is a somewhat unfortunate one. It's also one that doesn't really affect my viewing experience that negatively. Oh well!

-e

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    To me that seems pretty consistent with his character actually! I mean when he did lash out (in the brutality case, when he shot the cop) it wasn't because he was in charge of the situation, it was when he felt powerless or threatened. Like he says re: failing to identify himself as a police officer, he had "been doing it [his] whole career."

The whole Prez thing is one of the few things about this show that has struck me as unrealistic. I honestly don't believe that Prez--a police officer who was fairly recently running around the streets literally busting the heads of young bucks in the projects--would be so intimidated by his kids that he'd be unable to cope the same way naive-but-well-wishing teachers become deer-in-headlights their first few days on the job with the "bad" kids. What happened to him being a hot head? Additionally, certainly you can't realistically be police in Baltimore without learning how to be somewhat forceful and authoritative when hollering at the young folks.

Prez is one of the few characters in the show that doesn't feel particularly established or static enough. Yes, we know a lot about his history and he's been around since the first season, but his personality and motivations seem to change from season to season pretty dramatically. Or, perhaps to put it differently, he's one of the few characters on the show (maybe the only?) that seems not so much to "like a real person," but just acts as a vehicle for the narrative: an easy way for the show's authors and creators to tap into certain issues without having to introduce new characters.

Wanna explore officers using excessive force? How 'bout Prez? Wanna explore accidental officer-on-officer shootings? Let's have Prez do it! Now the school system... who'd be good for that? I got it! PREZ!

This is obviously a fairly minor criticism of a superb season so far, but I think the choice to transform Prez into the teacher is a somewhat unfortunate one. It's also one that doesn't really affect my viewing experience that negatively. Oh well!

-e

I disagree on this. I think Pres is interesting because the writing injects some real issues into the character. Maybe a bit jarring, that I can get with, but surprising in a real way.

Remember, He is that Major's son-in-law, and he got slid up the ranks without really paying his dues. He is a classic failer-upper. Everytime he fucked-up(a lot) he got shifted somewhere else, usually cushier, out of the way details to make his Father-in-law happy. Then there's all the guilt he's carrying for cracking that kid(after really following along with Carver and Herc, doing what he felt was expected and a usual getting it all wrong) and then with the shooting in Season 3. Like I said before, any other season would have milked that incident as easy melodrama and had him kill himself and gotten rid of a fringe character.

Now throw on the White/Black dynamic that IS Baltimore, it makes Pres' situation as a first day teacher completely realistic. He is used to dealing with old cops and secretaries, desk jockeys and beauracracy(sp), not in-your-face kids that the city drops off at school with no real plan or hope for. He's in over his head but has no where to go...He is still the outsider in that classroom and it overwhelms him but he is dying to redeem himself.

I dunno, I feel for Pres a lot more than Carcetti...he is thatguy trying to push a big rock uphill everyday, because he doen't know what else to do.

To me that seems pretty consistent with his character actually!

Why the exclamation mark, deej!?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Implies a tone of surprise in my response to Emil's assertion that Prez's character is inconsistent.

Implies a tone of surprise in my response to Emil's assertion that Prez's character is inconsistent.

Well, not to pile up on Young Jim Jones, but I tend to come down on the same side of the argument as you, although I see Emil's point.

I think the true inconsistency in the character was his act of brutality within the show's first three episodes, when the writers had not yet determined just who he was or what they ultimately would do with him--subtract that, and I think he emerges as a much more consistent and believable character. Basically a nice guy, easily intimidated, with a tendency to f**k up dangerously, and a borderline autistic affinity for certain investigative tasks.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

It sounds like you've never been in front of a classroom of mischevious/angry and unknown adolescents. The show is pretty much nail on the head accurate when it comes to classroom dynamics.

Prez is one of my favorite characters precisely for the reasons you describe. Not all police are flawless negotiators that can diffuse any situation. And I've never seen him as a hot head, per se. Killing that cop, firing the gun in the office and (presumably) him shooting up his own car are all responses to the sort of deer in the headlights phenomenon we saw in the class room. But that behavior manifests itself differently around kids. For one thing he doesn't have a loaded weapon (thank god...)