making mp3s of vinyl with my new mac

puppup 133 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
I feel like such a little dood for posting this, but my pride can take a back seat to my desire to encode my weekend finds.Here's the deal. I recently got a new imac becasue of all the usual reasons a person gets a mac. But primarily, because I want to encode the crap out of my new finds so I can listen to them on my ipod while I walk around town.anyway. When I had a pc I used to use a cracked copy of cool edit to record all my stuff to wav files. The wave form editor was intuitive and I liked it.I got a mac and I hate garage band. I have logic pro, but shit is way to complicated for the simple task of recording a 45 so I can import it to itunes.So I grabbed a freee copy of audacity. I like the interface, all intuitive and shit, but thing crashes on me constantly. Especially if I try to record anything longer than say 30 minutes, which sucks because I have a bunch of mixtapes I want to encode too....anyone have a suggestion of a good cool edit/audiacity like program which is reliable and good for the simple task of recording. Not and I repeat not beat making...I don't ming dropping some money and actually purchasing a decent software, so long as I know it's got what I need. ...ack, I am sure a thread like this already exists 6 times over and so it if does, my appologies...just hit me with the link for it. Sorry Raj, but I can never get the search engine to work for me very well. pup

Comments

• I use Amadeus II

http://www.hairersoft.com/Amadeus.html

For just your basic sound recording & non-multitrack editing, it works for me.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    [quoteSo I grabbed a freee copy of audacity. I like the interface, all intuitive and shit, but thing crashes on me constantly. / Especially if I try to record anything longer than say 30 minutes, which sucks because I have a bunch of mixtapes I want to encode too.

Are you on an Intel mac?

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    I use Final Cut Pro if I'm doing something fiddly - or Quicktime Pro to make a .mov and then just convert it. Both methods work a treat.

• puppup 133 Posts
    [quoteSo I grabbed a freee copy of audacity. I like the interface, all intuitive and shit, but thing crashes on me constantly. / Especially if I try to record anything longer than say 30 minutes, which sucks because I have a bunch of mixtapes I want to encode too.

Are you on an Intel mac?
    no. standard osx fresh out the box type ish.

currently testing out Amadaeus, so far so good...

thanks for the help. Any other suggestions/options are appreciated.

• puppup 133 Posts
    ...doh. wife just came in to tell me that "Yes, Eric you have a mac with an intel chip." Maybe that's the problem...

...good at digging, medium to lousy with computers...

pup

• then you need to make sure that whatever program you are using is a "Universal" application. Not sure if Audacity or Amadeus have gone Universal or not, but using non-Universal for audio work on an Intel Mac is gonna cause dragging and crashing.

Sound Studio is Universal, I know.

http://www.freeverse.com/soundstudio/

• I use Peak.... It's the shit!

• CD SpinDoctor II couldn't be easier and you can get it for free...

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    ...doh. wife just came in to tell me that "Yes, Eric you have a mac with an intel chip." Maybe that's the problem...

...good at digging, medium to lousy with computers...

pup

hehe.. with me its the other way around

I had the same problem with my mac.. but then I bougth Microwave and now digitize with Microwave.

Peak is also good.

Audacity for Intel macs: click

• then you need to make sure that whatever program you are using is a "Universal" application. Not sure if Audacity or Amadeus have gone Universal or not, but using non-Universal for audio work on an Intel Mac is gonna cause dragging and crashing.

Sound Studio is Universal, I know.

http://www.freeverse.com/soundstudio/
    I'm using this right now and I'm loving it.
    Thanks for the heads up!

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    I use Peak.... It's the shit!

OS X? I want it, please.

• I use Peak.... It's the shit!

OS X? I want it, please.

check your pm.