Mo Wax - reissues ?

piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
There have been many MoWax records popping up again in recent years and it seems that some 12" receive a regular reissue I know that most of the early stuff has been reissued in plain sleeves with stickers around 1996. There are various rumors regarding Lavelle and the rights for the Mo Wax catalogue...However, stuff like the 3LP Dr Octagon, Meiso LP, the 2nd Krush album, most of the shadow 12" aso is availabe again. I guess it??s all bootleg stuff, because especially the LPs have some picture covers.anybody knows the deal?

Comments

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    A lot of Mo Wax stuff is finally getting reissued, although not the whole catalog. Lavelle doesn't own the Mo Wax catalog anymore, and hasn't for years.

The Meiso press was legit, I think, because it was through Sony. Dr. Octagon is through Dreamworks, although I haven't seen a repress to know for sure. The stuff issued in between are all boots.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    A lot of Mo Wax stuff is finally getting reissued, although not the whole catalog. Lavelle doesn't own the Mo Wax catalog anymore, and hasn't for years.

The Meiso press was legit, I think, because it was through Sony. Dr. Octagon is through Dreamworks, although I haven't seen a repress to know for sure. The stuff issued in between are all boots.

Not sure about the Meiso reissue, I remember the little black sticker looking a bid dodgy. Regarding Dr. Octagon, you are correct. There was also the stateside "Bulk" pressing of the Dr. Octagon album but the OG Octagynecologyst and Instrumentalyst are on Mo'Wax with the Ben Drury skeleton arm artwork. I ripped that obi on the clean CD jewel case though.

The OG stuff, even the 1996 stuff is something I hold dear to me because it really got me going on collecting, along with the quality of the graphic design.

The new crop of reissues are looking kind of ugly though, maybe I need to see them in person.

In Mo'Wax we trust,
    M

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Yeah, I have the Bulk Octagon. I checked my Meiso reish (I bought it to spin with) and it does mention the Sony issue, but you're spot-on about the little label looking bad on the front. The sound quality is pretty good though.

• cheers for the info so far.

little sticker on meiso? I definitely have an OG and it has no sticker, but a cutout whole.

regarding the 3LP Dr. Octagon: I bought a copy here for spinning. A boot I guess, although the sound quality is fine. However, it??s crazy how much Mo Wax stuff this shop already sells. I guess it??s all bootleg stuff.

btw:

The OG stuff, even the 1996 stuff is something I hold dear to me because it really got me going on collecting, along with the quality of the graphic design.

huge co-sign

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    There was also the stateside "Bulk" pressing of the Dr. Octagon album but the OG Octagynecologyst and Instrumentalyst are on Mo'Wax with the Ben Drury skeleton arm artwork.

Actually, the original pressing of Dr Octagon was the bulk issue BEFORE Mo Wax issued it again. Then a few years after the Mo Wax issue went out of print the Bulk 2LP reissue came out. I'm not 100% sure of the original Bulk issue was single or double vinyl, and I'm also pretty sure that Mo Wax was the first to press up the instrumental version.

• glad i picked up all the mo'wax stuff when it came out. i remember friends dogging me for spending $20 on the headz 2 boxes when they came out.

it was pretty easy to see that that Mo' Wax something special from day one.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    glad i picked up all the mo'wax stuff when it came out. i remember friends dogging me for spending $20 on the headz 2 boxes when they came out.

it was pretty easy to see that that Mo' Wax something special from day one.

Amen. $20 on a headz box? Schitt mayne!!!

If anyone is thinking of letting go 001-030, let me know. I need the early acid jazz to make my cipher complete.

I also need the actual "Trilogy" box with the General Ursus on it. I have the 12"s, just need the box.

thanks!

-M