eBay and your record buying experience

Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
I just read the thread about K in Canada and I was thinking.There are at least five threads each week, that discusses being ripped off on an eBay transaction. Would it be a good idea if we/you (the consumer) stop buying records on eBay?I'm not being facetious when I ask this question.If you're going to go online and buy records, I think it would make sense to go the set sale route. Now I know what you're thinking; you can get ripped off with a set sale also. This is true but I'm not talking about buying from unknown person selling in the sales classified section (not knocking anyone who's getting it like that). I figure if you deal with an online shop that has high visibility and a great rep., your chances of getting screwed are slim.I'm not into eBay buying that much and I don't think that I ever will.Yeah, there's a lot of grails to be had for cheap but the b.s that accompanies a lot of transactions outweigh all of that.What are your thoughts?

Comments

• I've given up on eBay. Been ripped off or severely irritated to some degree too many times over the years. More fun looking for stuff in the real world and not just ticking off a wants list from the comfort of my keyboard. Seriously, since I stopped using eBay I've really started to enjoy digging again.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    For a small time seller, what other option is there?
    There is no way in hell I'd be able to flip records for
    the prices I get on Ebay EVER!
    Ebay is my shit, I've been sold for years...
    Why all the hateration? I've dealt with a-holes over
    the years, but I've met waaaaaay more super cool,
    knowledgeable, and appreciative people.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    My bad experiences with eBay pale so greatly to the number of great transactions I've had. I'm not giving up, but the times I have had trouble were both on me because I didn't pay close enough attention to the seller's reputation or look into their recent history.

• i've thought about giving up on ebay recently after a string of bad experiences (finally put to an end by a great transaction with Chris Carnahan), but I don't know if I could quit altogether. I've definitely been more hesitant to put bids on stuff lately unless the seller is someone I know or have dealt with before.

The problem with doing things through set sales and keeping it inside the board, is people tend to be more accepting of people's laziness and/or sketchiness. Look at that k in Canada thread. How many people didn't file Paypal claims when they should have because "oh he's on the board, he seems like a cool guy, i'm sure he'll get around to it". And how many people didn't make a thread putting him on blast for the same reasons? If it was just some dude on ebay everyone would've known and less people would've gotten tooken.

The problem with set sales through established online shops is they're f-ing expensive! I've bought a few cheap things from places like Craig Moerer, but if the options are buy some LP for $250 from him, or take a chance on one on ebay for $125, right now I'm still at a place where rolling the dice with ebay is a better option.

So I guess what I'm saying is every avenue has its pros and cons.

• Why all the hateration?
    No hatt over here.
    I actually respect sellers like yourself (and a host of others that advertise here and abroad). No love for the slimy scum, that takes the average buyer for a ride.

My post wasn't meant to schitt on anyone. I asked a question that I really thought needed to be asked.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I've been buying records on eBay since 2001 or 2, and my few bad experiences with overgraded records were early on when I was not choosey about who I dealt with. If you are careful, and only buy from experienced people who seem to know what they are doing you'll be fine. If you go looking for deals from people in Arkansas who sell 45's and vintage gravey boats you might be in trouble.

The news about K does have me a bit shook up though...

• If you go looking for deals from people in Arkansas who sell 45's and vintage gravey boats you might be in trouble.

1st LOL of the day!

• I've had many great experiences on Ebay, but there's alot of overgrading & shady ish going on there. Feedback doesn't mean much cause a lot of the dudes buying are little dudes & don't really know much about grading. They get a record in the mail & it was a good deal to them as long as it plays. I have a few people I buy from regularly. Alot of the guys with 1000 + feedback suck, tho. I wouldn't bother with funkyou, ladymixmaster, and a buch of others I can't remember at this point. I don't care about shelling out the cash as long as I get the item as advertized. Lately if I'm going to drop $$$$ on a record on ebay, I email around to get some character references. If you've been at this long enough, you'll know experienced collectros who've bought off a bunch of sellers & can give you the scoop first hand. I'll only go through this much trouble if I'm spending a c-note on a 12" or something.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I've been buying records on eBay since 2001 or 2, and my few bad experiences with overgraded records were early on when I was not choosey about who I dealt with.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Why all the hateration?
    No hatt over here.

I actually respect sellers like yourself (and a host of others that advertise here and abroad). No love for the slimy scum, that takes the average buyer for a ride.

My post wasn't meant to schitt on anyone. I asked a question that I really thought needed to be asked.

It's a good question, Ebay and Ebay related dealings are certainly
    not beyond reproach...

• I've given up on eBay. Been ripped off or severely irritated to some degree too many times over the years. More fun looking for stuff in the real world and not just ticking off a wants list from the comfort of my keyboard. Seriously, since I stopped using eBay I've really started to enjoy digging again.

Unfortunately for anyone living outside of the US this really isn't a viable alternative. I still dig every week but I have to be content finding shitty UK budget label records or pay UK dealers big money for UK raer pressings.

Ebay for me and many others is the only way to obtain $10 records that just don't exist in our part of the world.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    If I still lived in the Bay Area, I probably wouldn't use Ebay, or at least not as much. I miss digging, but Santa Fe/Albuquerque have very little to offer...

• If I still lived in the Bay Area, I probably wouldn't use Ebay, or at least not as much. I miss digging, but Santa Fe/Albuquerque have very little to offer...
    I'm kind of in the same situation.
    When I was in Wa. State, I used to go digging every weekend (sometimes more often during the work week).
    Out here (Columbus, GA), records have dried up. I used to catch some cool stuff but the well has run dry.

This whole thing is a Catch 22.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    If I still lived in the Bay Area, I probably wouldn't use Ebay, or at least not as much. I miss digging, but Santa Fe/Albuquerque have very little to offer...

He didn't say don't shop online. He said buy from reputable set sale sites. Sounds good to me, but I may not be the most objective voice.

• He didn't say don't shop online. He said buy from reputable set sale sites. Sounds good to me, but I may not be the most objective voice.

Exactly.

hi Dan!

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

He didn't say don't shop online. He said buy from reputable set sale sites. Sounds good to me, but I may not be the most objective voice.

I responded in the wrong thread! This was supposed to be for the canonical thread. My bad...

• Unfortunately for anyone living outside of the US this really isn't a viable alternative.

Ebay for me and many others is the only way to obtain $10 records that just don't exist in our part of the world.

Ha ha, you beat to posting this view mate !

Digging is so weak around where we live I have pretty much given up, why spend all day trawling bootfairs and markets for very little of interest ?
    I would rather spend the time and money on ebay where the few bad transactions I have experienced pale into insignificance compared to the good...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I barely find anything in the real world anymore at all, so I love ebay.

• I barely find anything in the real world anymore at all, so I love ebay.
    Even when marcofunk takes over a month to pay you?

Catch 22.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I barely find anything in the real world anymore at all, so I love ebay.
    Even when marcofunk takes over a month to pay you?

Catch 22.

its worth the wait for the money he drops on tepid turds

• Not a Catch 22!

• Unfortunately for anyone living outside of the US this really isn't a viable alternative.

Ha ha, you beat to posting this view mate !

Digging is so weak around where we live I have pretty much given up, why spend all day trawling bootfairs and markets for very little of interest ?
    I would rather spend the time and money on ebay where the few bad transactions I have experienced pale into insignificance compared to the good...

I'm with you. On the whole, ebay has been a good thing. I'm routinely blown away by what can be picked up for $20, $50 or $100 online. It's a great way to turn records you're not into but are worth money into records you are into.

Record stores don't pay much more for records than they did 20 years ago, but sell for way more. Profit margins have gone way up once volume started to dip down.

I buy records in the real world, but often a better deal can be had online with some patience.

Also anybody who posts here can't front about picking up knowledge online. Especially the ultra-local small pressings. The MP3 trading has been absolutely ridiculous and eye-opening.