DIGGING DURING WORK (Rec Related, fo sho)

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
WHO RUN IT WHILE AT WORK ON THE CLOCK AT THE JOB AWAY FROM THE OFFICE AND BOSSPEOPLE?WHO USE THAT GPS 2006 GARMIN NAVIGATION OR IN DASH FANY WHILE GRIPPIN WOOD AND A TURKEY SANDWICH, NO AYOREVEAL THY TRICKSHOLLA

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    come on

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    My local shop is right beneath my place of employment. So, I've popped in for a few minutes during slow afternoons on several occasions. If I see something, I have it put on hold. And I always look both ways before entering.

• I'm a courier so i'm on the road a lot.
    On the quiet days, or on the odd busy day, i take a little
    detour to the closest record shops ,thrifts etc.

• lunch = diggin'

SG

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• BeekBeek 146 Posts
    lunch = diggin'

SG

Word

The local record spot and a goodwill are basically a block away. Quick lunch, then go digging.

And some people take smoke breaks, I might take 5 minutes to pick up some wax.

• I own a shop so I only have to go a few feet. Bit dangerous though.
    I also have two storage units, one of which is about two blocks from my store, so when things are really slow I'll pop over there and go digging. When I moved in 2000 I put about a third of my personal collection in there so its fun rediscovering records I'd forgotten about. Also dangerous.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I am lucky, my boss gets a kick out of my digging, so if there is a tip on some records, I just tell him I have to 'run to the post office, *wink wink*

And I keep several shops on my lunch routine. Keeps me walking regularly.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    No spots within coowee of my new work, but where I was before I woulod always be driving around going to meetings, and almost every town there's a meeting in has an op shop.

Last last year I stopped by a newly opened op shop after a poster run and spent an hour going through records with the help of a young perosn who is also a musician - I bought a few Quincy Jones LPs and game them to him.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    When I first got out of college in the early 90s. I got a job working as vocational trainer at a mental health clinic. Most of my trainees could only put in a four hour day due to poor physical health, other counseling demands and whatnot. So I spent most of afternoons doing paperwork and sitting in on staff meetings. I figured out pretty quickly that staff meetings weren't much more then group therapy sessions, so I started skipping out to do "estimates" more and more frequently. I became a regular at Dan Berkman's spending long afternoons getting schooled on soul/funk/jazz. Over the course of 4 years I got a helluva collection while on the clock. Now I work for myself so I dig whenever I feel like it.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    im pretty lucky. my office is somewhere around the bottom left hand corner. all the arrows are record stores (not including disc union which are about 4 or 5 more locations.)