Bitches Brew on 45

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited February 2016 in Record Collecting
I just opened the shop, threw on the record while I do my opening stuff. Didnt notice the turntable was on 45 until a minute or two as I was occupied with other things. Leaving it on at 45 because I am enjoying the way it is sounding...lots of low register things going on so doesnt sound sillyother records that sound kinda cool ridiculously pitched up...post plaese.

Comments

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I don't have a soundclip, but a buddy of mine and I did the same thing with a Quicksand record on his radio show many years ago--sounded sludgy, very heavy, and it didn't help that we didn't know what the band sounded like! We discovered this and altered the speed; the results were less than impressive.

• some of the on-u dub stuff sounds wild @ 45rpm

• You'll notice that just about all the albums listed in this thread are instrumental, right?

Just about any instrumental 33 1/3 is gonna sound correct at 45, because it doesn't sound drastically different. As soon as the voice comes in, then you'll know something smells fishy.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Just about any instrumental 33 1/3 is gonna sound correct at 45, because it doesn't sound drastically different. As soon as the voice comes in, then you'll know something smells fishy.

Untrue. I can usually pick out distortion in the recording when it is at the wrong speed that can easily tip you off if you know what to listen for.

• lots of low register things going on so doesnt sound silly

• billy miller (norton) use to spin some bad country pop lp
    at 45 & it sounded like
    a neal young record

• playing albums on 45 are trippy. Now do the ol' "play Black Sabbath at 16".

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I'm more into pitching stuff down to -8 at the moment (An evening at home with Teegarden & Van Winkle was never this appealing before) but Wars "Deliver the word" just sounds plain wrong on 33.

• I just opened the shop, threw on the record while I do my opening stuff. Didnt notice the turntable was on 45 until a minute or two as I was occupied with other things. Leaving it on at 45 because I am enjoying the way it is sounding...lots of low register things going on so doesnt sound silly

other records that sound kinda cool ridiculously pitched up...post plaese.

hookup, you need to try this at 45!

the album cut that was put on 7" in particular.

• I don't have a soundclip, but a buddy of mine and I did the same thing with a Quicksand record on his radio show many years ago--sounded sludgy, very heavy, and it didn't help that we didn't know what the band sounded like! We discovered this and altered the speed; the results were less than impressive.

got to do that some time... Quicksand are cool. Walter Schreifels (the main man) is seriously amazing and he's done a bunch of different stuff, i think he's one of the musicians i respect the most (seriously)

back on topic i once played some roni size DnB too slow and was like "what is this chill music?"

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Wow!! I can't find a pic of it on the web, but Eugene McD's "Natural Juices" is quite awesome at 45. Dudes voice is more tollerable for me. Carl Carlton's 45 "I Wanna Be Your Main Squeeze" sonds great at 33.

Try it.

• that song "popcorn" by hot butter sounds much better slowed down to 33 1/3 from 45. at regular speed it sounds suited for a slumber-party bed-jumping session.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Aaah, Gershon Kingsley, ehh??? I like it at 45rpm, I'll try it at 33.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I like pitching-down The Supremes - in particular, the
    "Taste of Liverpool" LP stuff like "House of the Rising Sun"
    sounds like good female soul versions at -8, but like David
    Alvin & the Chipmunks at normal speed...

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    I just opened the shop, threw on the record while I do my opening stuff. Didnt notice the turntable was on 45 until a minute or two as I was occupied with other things. Leaving it on at 45 because I am enjoying the way it is sounding...lots of low register things going on so doesnt sound silly

other records that sound kinda cool ridiculously pitched up...post plaese.
    It's funny because the same thing happened to me when I bought an original pressing of Bitches Brew. I had that album on tape for many many years, and it's one of my favourite album ever. So I haven't listened to that album in years when I finally find the vinyl. So I listened to the first record, while doing something else and I hated it !! I was like : "wait a minute, I'm supposed to love this album !"

Anyway if you're into old french stuff, Jacques Brel on 45 has the same voice as Edith Piaf. Exactly.

• A friend of mine noticed that a Dolly Parton 45 slowed down to 33 has a scary resemblance to Nina Simone.

• hookup, you need to try this at 45!

What the hell is that?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

What the hell is that?

I was waiting for you to yell at him!

What the hell is that?

OM - Conference of the Birds

• "play Black Sabbath at 16"

sounds like the blueprint for:

• "Theme from the Planets" ala UBB

What the hell is that?

is the cut in question on 45 on the Current 93 split? I need to hear/acquire that one.

I want to see them live so bad....did you hear about the show they did during the equinox? I dont know if they pulled it off, but they were going to set up on the back of a flatbed truck and follow the path of the sun and play for the entire 10 or 12 hours, they were suppposed to have sitar players, percussionists and all kindsa stuff.

I really wanted to play a cut of theirs when I DJ'd the High On Fire show, but I figured it might be

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Current 93/Coil/NWW is my shit!

What the hell is that?

is the cut in question on 45 on the Current 93 split? I need to hear/acquire that one.

I want to see them live so bad....did you hear about the show they did during the equinox? I dont know if they pulled it off, but they were going to set up on the back of a flatbed truck and follow the path of the sun and play for the entire 10 or 12 hours, they were suppposed to have sitar players, percussionists and all kindsa stuff.

That sounds pretty rad!

The 45 I'm speaking of is off their split 7" w/ Six Organs of Admittance. "Bedouin's Vigil" (now that I think about it I don't think it is on Conference of the Birds) I couldn't find any images of the sleeve art on Google.

Damn this is heavy.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I listened to one of those Houston/chopped-and-screwed mixtapesa while back and heard a singer that sounded familiar. After about 15 minutes, I realized that playing Michael Jackson records pitched down makes him sound normal.