Brooklyn-Born on Ebay. Mysterious Baller.

NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
ebay seller Brooklyn-Born: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbrooklyn-bornQQhtZ-1Who's got the info on this guy? I'm sure someone here knows him, and what I'd like to know is why he CONSTANTLY has stock of many many 45s in M- UNTOUCHED, unplayed shape ALL the time. I mean, I've also seen him sell (legit?) reprints that look like originals. To the ignorant soul, it seems like this guy's having copies made of the others since they appear too perfect. I know that sounds dumb, but did he really score that stuff in that shape?example:http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-GREAT-2-SIDED-F...1QQcmdZViewItemPS: the copy of OFS that I bought from him has some wierd noise in the beginning of Mr. Kidneys. Looks totally clean but has a reaaaaaallly wierd sound and some sounds like it's a bit dirty but it appears pristine.

Comments

• I think that's Rich Rosen of Wax Tracks in Las Vegas.

• It's not the guy from Wax Trax, the brooklynborn guy is named Joseph. I bought an Iron Knowledge 45 from him and all was fine. I checked in with a very reliable source before I bought it and was told it was definitely original and that the guy had bought up a lot of stock from the label owner. He has been accused on Soul Source of booting stuff but a lot of it was speculation it seemed. Also confusion because he has sold second pressings in the past but I believe he indicates if they are in the auction now. I would buy from him again no problem.

• PS: the copy of OFS that I bought from him has some wierd noise in the beginning of Mr. Kidneys. Looks totally clean but has a reaaaaaallly wierd sound and some sounds like it's a bit dirty but it appears pristine.

mine too, i assumed it was in the recording.

anyway his name is joe, and as far as I know he's legit, and I think he gets his shit by writing to dudes and buying records from them (the fact that so many of the records he sells originate in Ohio seems to back this up IMO). Someone I tracked down that had a label in the 70s said he'd dealt with this dude before (although I wrote to this joe cat about the label owner and he told me he was dead! nice!). I know of a couple records he used to sell that are now GONE and he doesn't sell them anymore, so I don't think he's booting or repressing anything. Plus they will often have storage scuffs or label stains/wear. But I will say if he was smarter he'd sit on that stock longer instead of dumping Iron Knowledge 45s almost daily, BUT maybe he's just a nice guy? I know this way a lot of people are getting good records for (relatively) cheap, but he's hurting his own game. Oh well.

• PS: the copy of OFS that I bought from him has some wierd noise in the beginning of Mr. Kidneys. Looks totally clean but has a reaaaaaallly wierd sound and some sounds like it's a bit dirty but it appears pristine.

mine too, i assumed it was in the recording.

anyway his name is joe, and as far as I know he's legit, and I think he gets his shit by writing to dudes and buying records from them (the fact that so many of the records he sells originate in Ohio seems to back this up IMO). Someone I tracked down that had a label in the 70s said he'd dealt with this dude before (although I wrote to this joe cat about the label owner and he told me he was dead! nice!). I know of a couple records he used to sell that are now GONE and he doesn't sell them anymore, so I don't think he's booting or repressing anything. Plus they will often have storage scuffs or label stains/wear. But I will say if he was smarter he'd sit on that stock longer instead of dumping Iron Knowledge 45s almost daily, BUT maybe he's just a nice guy? I know this way a lot of people are getting good records for (relatively) cheap, but he's hurting his own game. Oh well.

Oh ok, thanks for that info man. The thing that threw me off was the sheer number of 45s that had absolutely no storage scuffs or label stains & wear. I mean, look at his current auctions. The 45s are spotless. But anyways I guess the dude has just paid his dues and done well with the tracking.

• Ah. The item's location - combined with a couple bootlegs - led me to believe it was Rich. Carry on!

• The thing that threw me off was the sheer number of 45s that had absolutely no storage scuffs or label stains & wear. I mean, look at his current auctions. The 45s are spotless.

they aren't always as spotless as they appear, i think he just uses a stock pic for each auction. i've bought a handful of 45s from him and have no complaints, but there IS storage wear occasionally.

• this seems to the most suspect auction...label looks like it used a microsoft word font...thats gotta be a bootleg...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270021695354

he now has them as a "but it now" for 50 bucks

but damn it is a killer tune tho...

• this seems to the most suspect auction...label looks like it used a microsoft word font...thats gotta be a bootleg...

well yeah if that's unreleased i think it's safe to say that's some sort of boot. But the shit he sells from the Tammy, Prix, etc. labels are all legitimately copped from the label owners I do believe.

• the shit he sells from the Tammy, Prix, etc. labels are all legitimately copped from the label owners I do believe.

If that's the case then I feel much better.

TKO's is a definite boot from CD and its fairly recent, the only legit vinyl release is the 100 club freebie from a few years back featuring the a-side only, kent licensed the tracks. there is another boot of it with a different artist on the b-side. no comment on the rest of the stock it may well be all legit, but this one is deffo a recent boot.

great tune tho!

• i bought off of him and rich while in vegas, they are apparently partners, joe being the easier to deal with (imo).

they told me they got hold of a label/warehouse score in ohio , basically the entire tammy catalogue amongst other things. he had stock as well as boots on maannnnnnnnny big titles.

said somthing about bein tight w/ john doe?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    joe giattino is an old school record baller... trust him or not... hes a good cat and ive done work with him in the past.

• joe giattino is an old school record baller... trust him or not... hes a good cat and ive done work with him in the past.

i think selling lots of (the before 4 figured) "Frederick Hymes III" 45s under the usernames "grouperecords" & "brooklyn-born"
    made both/him popular all over the globe... me personally,
    i never had a bad experience with any of these users and bought quite some records of 'em...