Drinking at work

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Yay or nay?

Comments

• depends, if you are in a position to fuck somoneup( ambulance driver, surgeon, dominatrix) -NAY

if you work a daily grind, esp w/horrible customers, than a little late day tip of the bottle -YAY

-bonus- if clients bring you booze, it's not to imbibe w/ them

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    We used to rock Wine Fridays here in the afternoon, but no more. There's a Thursday after work bbq with beer, but the last thing I want to do after work is continue to stay here

• absolutely

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    man, i was drinking before i got to work and then i discovered a secret stash of alcohol here which is totally not what i need right now but i might have to dip into it

• When I worked in a Utah Record/CD shop, the owner was cool with us drinking for the last few hours of the night.

One of my co-workers looked just like this guy

Dolph of the Simpsons. His name is Lief and it was awesome to watch Lief help Mormon customers with a beer in his hand. They gave some classic looks.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ok i need to choose between 99 bananas, crown royal, and an unlabeled bottle that looks like ichiko

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'm sure NZ will co-sign on this...

Bartending is a job that almost requires drinking and if you don't pay attention by the end of the night you've finished a bottle all by yourself and barely have a buzz....that's when the After Hours joints come in handy.....in more ways than one!!

• TobiTobi 187 Posts
    We were often drinking and smoking weed in the company I worked for. Sometimes I had to drive to the store to get beer or Bacardi for my co-workers It made work MUCH easier. One day a colleage of mine was so drunk that he fell on the concrete and injured his head really bad. He had to get picked up by an ambulance. After this day my boss wouldn't go for it any longer.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Never done it but it's very tempting.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    drinking + youth work + place of employment = instant dismissal.

Drinking while at work as a youth worker is the very essence of EXTREME

• drinking + youth work + place of employment = instant dismissal.

Drinking while at work as a youth worker is the very essence of EXTREME

How 'bout drinking with the youth.

• Used to work occasionally in a friends record shop and drinking was the least of the offences that were comitted on the premises...

• absolutely

It's hard not to when customers are bringing you beer, huh?

Thanks again for the Blue Grass hook up, I only wish we'd had more time to talk about...wait for it...records. I barely even got into the absurd state of the detroit record game.

• dude me and Paul FINISHED that shit too. Lucky I live in the area, I stumbled home that night.

Next time beer's on me!

Yeah, it seems to me that on one end of the scale of the "can you drink at work o metre", you have youth work, and at the other end you have working in a record store!

I've walked into a record store to be met with a person smoking a bong behind the counter, with absolutely no shame!

• dude me and Paul FINISHED that shit too. Lucky I live in the area, I stumbled home that night.

Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Did I even mention my previous night's exploits into the city after drinking half a pint of Everclear? They were short-lived and messy.

Next time beer's on me!

I might hold you to that

• I've walked into a record store to be met with a person smoking a bong behind the counter, with absolutely no shame!

You should've introduced yourself, dude.

I've walked into a record store to be met with a person smoking a bong behind the counter, with absolutely no shame!

I tried! Dude was hella stoned already! Pointed to records and mumbled something when I asked. And really... if you saw dude, you wouldn't be rushing to share his bong! Personal hygiene issues abounded.

• I've walked into a record store to be met with a person smoking a bong behind the counter, with absolutely no shame!

Yeah, I woulda shared.

• WOOOOSH

I was attempting humor at implying that it might have been my shop...

But yeah, no harm in trying to bogart

• used to drink a lot at work, but don't fuck around like that anymore. on slow nights in the kitchen i used to get my swerve on way more than was acceptable. i was cooking all the proteins at the time and in hindsight it was not ok. i don't recall that i ever sent anything out that was fucked up, but i know that nothing was cooked as perfectly as it could have been, and it still kind of eats at me that people were paying a lot of money for something that was entirely in my own hands, and when it got late in the night and i lost energy, judgment, and interest, they weren't able to experience the best of what we had to give.
    so i guess i would say that drinking on the job is fucked up if it directly affects whatever it is you're producing. but if it's strictly confined to your own time and productivity then do whatever you need to do to get by. no matter how faded you are at the record counter, your product is still going to be ok. maybe you'll make a bad trade, but then it's still just on you. but if the quality of your product is contingent upon physical and/or mental skill, discipline and interaction, then be careful. i've seen some extremely talented cooks fall to pieces without even knowing it. but i'd be lying if i said that an ice cold beer towards the end of a long, hot, busy service didn't taste absolutely delicious.

WOOOOSH

Ooohhh I get it now. I'm a bit slow on account of me needing to get a coffee right NOW!

Don't talk until i get back.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    for me, yay. but only at certain times. i won't mix or master anything while under the influence. usually only if i am writing a song do i get some booze in me. and it has to be after noon. thats my personal rule.

i used to work in restaurants and get lit on the regular.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    we usually keep some beers at work, helps that some of the bars/restaurants we do work for like to kick us a case every once in a while. Only drink at the end of the day once all our jobs are done. I've been tempted to pound a few for lunch but I hold off. My boss does not need to know drunk serg.

back in the day I use to roll by my friends junkyard/performance shop cause they'd break out the beers around 4. Just chill drinking beers and talk about engine swaps.

my worst job ever was working at the titanic exhibit in the shitty gift store. well they had these lame galas and shit where all the fancy fucks would come through and celebrate that they paid money to have a bunch of crap there. They usually had an open bar and I took advantage. Get wasted and sell drunk white ladies 20 dollar titanic candy bars.

• WOOOOSH

Ooohhh I get it now. I'm a bit slow on account of me needing to get a coffee right NOW!

Don't talk until i get back.

i got that. but, then, the last time i visited good records...smelled like otto's jacket, yo.

• WOOOOSH

he he

sorry

• I'm sure NZ will co-sign on this...

Bartending is a job that almost requires drinking and if you don't pay attention by the end of the night you've finished a bottle all by yourself and barely have a buzz....that's when the After Hours joints come in handy.....in more ways than one!!

I will co-sign on that..though I work in a really high impact fast paced nightclub so most often I gotta stay sober till about 1am when its time for a shot. Plus the laws here are crazy fckd for the servers and staff but I hear it isnt illegal for the staff to drink in other states. But the speakeasys are most def. and as a bartender there is always a 6pack to come home to.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

I will co-sign on that..though I work in a really high impact fast paced nightclub so most often I gotta stay sober till about 1am when its time for a shot. Plus the laws here are crazy fckd for the servers and staff but I hear it isnt illegal for the staff to drink in other states. But the speakeasys are most def. and as a bartender there is always a 6pack to come home to.

Alice!

XV will from now on be known as the "high impact, fast-paced night club."

I heard you were in that Morgan Freeman film over on Mississippi. Did you get to hang out at "Jitters?"

• I'm sure NZ will co-sign on this...

I can't vouch for the bartending side of a restaurant from first hand experience, but my boarderline alcoholic days overlapped (and not coincidentally) from my days working on the line in the back of the kitchen. Basically, if you work around booze, you will find an excuse to drink it. One of my proudest accomplishments, in fact, was being stone cold sober for 3 months while working in a bar as a cook.

i didn't remember the next nine nights after I broke that sobriety, though. oh, and if you wondered. that is NOT one of my proudest accomplishments.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Snap.

bro, bartending will harden your liver. My record is a bottle of The Macallan in a 9 hour shift. 9 hours is a while, but we were drinking beer and grandma chasers as well.

i also did a bottle of bombay sapphire once, but that shit makes me not a nice person.

the bar i work in now is off the hook, we were drinking Piper and Moet last week, 2 bottles in 1 hour.

and tonight is friday!

might go into work early...

ok: TRUE STORY.

used to work in a bar in Sweden, the owner/boss was this crazy guy called... lets call him Hans, anyway, Hans would make ice cubes outta his own piss and drop them in assholes' drinks. first time i saw it i couldnt believe it, but it was a regular thing and all the locals were savvy.

nothin like seeing some dude sucking on a pisscube.

Dont forget to tip your bartender.