The record Bsides has waited his entire life for

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central

Comments

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Is it just me or do these two look nothing like each other?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    that type face is so icey, I can barely read it.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    those birds are so necessary

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Does anyone else think they were photographed separately and at different distances... or Baby's image was shrunken or something?

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

I don't get it, why are there a bunch of bird's on the cover? Are doves gangsta?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I don't get it, why are there a bunch of bird's on the cover? Are doves gangsta?

Because they are the birdman and the birdman junior.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Does anyone else think they were photographed separately and at different distances... or Baby's image was shrunken or something?

They don't call him Baby for nothin'

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

disconnected...

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

now, yes. Baby looks like a midget or something.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

Because they are the birdman and the birdman junior.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    maybe weezy just got super diesel all of a sudden!!!

• wbat's up with lil' wayne's raver pants?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm waiting for the NYC contingent to give the fashion critique when it comes to bird sanctuary album cover apparel

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

disconnected...

Turn up your sarcasm detector.

• I'm waiting for the NYC contingent to give the fashion critique when it comes to bird sanctuary album cover apparel

It definitely outshines that blaze green hoody.

I'm still waiting for your in depth musical analysis of anything

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm waiting for the NYC contingent to give the fashion critique when it comes to bird sanctuary album cover apparel

Didn't I review your album for hiphopsite years ago? I'm retired from the internet hip-hop review game.

besides, it ain't about the music.

Image is everything

• I'm waiting for the NYC contingent to give the fashion critique when it comes to bird sanctuary album cover apparel

Didn't I review your album for hiphopsite years ago? I'm retired from the internet hip-hop review game.

Image is everything

post this review or you're soft.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Image is everything

post this review or you're soft.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    The sounds of neo-new school hip-hop usually resonate with avant-garde sounding beats and an even more avant-garde emcee's rhyming over them. And for every five or so abstract "underground" LP's you'll find one that you can bob your head while cruising down the block; Soul Purpose's (Zavi, Koncepts and Mazzi) Breaking Records certainly qualifies.

Many of the tracks on Breaking Records contain conscious messages, or topics, which predominantly deal with the growing pains that accompanies the growth process of most twenty-something's; exemplified by "Minimum Wage" featuring the Juggaknots' Breezly Brewin, where the crew flips the "trying to make a dollar out of 15 cents" mentality, but keeps their hustle legal and "Ballad of Lost Friends" which touches on the dissolution of childhood friendships.

Though the mix between jazzy beats and neo-conscious rhyming is at times disconcerting, Zavi and Koncept blaze the title track, "Breaking Records" w/ Infamous MC and Kirby Dominant and the effort is further bolstered by guest shots from Pumpkinhead ("Take Cover!"), Breezly Brewin ("Minimum Wage"), Percee-P ("Lung-Collapsing Lyrics II") and another contribution from Juggaknots' Slim on "I Stay Busy".

In short, Breaking Records is an homage to all the heads that grew up on Large Professor, Tribe Called Quest, and De La Soul, and the ones that no matter how much hip-hop has changed, can still be found digging in the crates nearly a decade later. While the crew's over-ambitious nature (twenty-plus tracks) generates some unneeded filler, Soul Purpose's hearts and minds are in the right place.

Review By: Adam Klien / Matt Conaway

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

• the mix between jazzy beats and neo-conscious rhyming is at times disconcerting

Zavi

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    so neo-new school.

• That record never really took off, I think, because we were fronting so hard back then. We were all (in real life) gangsta as FUCK, but the label kept telling us, "positivity and thought provoking rap is what sells."

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    that type face is so icey, I can barely read it.
    You almost can't tell it's The Godfather font.

Yeah, it looks like some forced perspective is going on.

• Zavi

To be fair, Adam misspelled his own last name, too.

And I'll be generous and assume that the subject-verb disagreements fall on the shoulders of the co-reviewer.

But goddamn, that was hard to read.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    the growing pains that accompanies the growth process

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Is it just me or do these two look nothing like each other?

they're not related... or were you being sarcastic here too?
    that shit dont translate too well in writing

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Who are their fathers and in what ways are they like them?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    they spent so much on the lower line of text that they had to settle for times new roman with a drop shadow on the upper line, lol

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Zavi

To be fair, Adam misspelled his own last name, too.

And I'll be generous and assume that the subject-verb disagreements fall on the shoulders of the co-reviewer.

But goddamn, that was hard to read.

I remember that Zavi thing actually, I knew Zvi's name well at that point. I think Zavi was either how the promotional letter had it spelled or maybe it had something to do with the editor.

My last name thing is really weird wierd

I'm cringing while reading this.