hip-hop tracks w/ true school lyrics

mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I was wondering if people can recommend some hip-hop tracks that have lyrics that talk about a dedication to hip-hop culture, or a dislike for the commercialization of hip-hop.Some examples that come to mind are DJ Jazzy Jeff - For Da Love of Da Game, Jeru - Ya Playin' Yaself (sorta), Common - I Used To Lover Her, and Slum Village's - Raise It Up.I hate the second verse of Slum Village's Raise it Up so I did an edit of it that has just the first verse. I also added extended 8-bar intro + outros. Here it is: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=55E7D29F790F8EB6Thanks

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    check out that new diddy track

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    check out that new diddy track
    Does anyone know the name of this track? I haven't kept up with a lot of new releases.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    J-Live - School's In

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I was wondering if people can recommend some hip-hop tracks that have lyrics that talk about a dedication to hip-hop culture, or a dislike for the commercialization of hip-hop.
    Some examples that come to mind are DJ Jazzy Jeff - For Da Love of Da Game, Jeru - Ya Playin' Yaself (sorta), Common - I Used To Lover Her, and Slum Village's - Raise It Up.
    I hate the second verse of Slum Village's Raise it Up so I did an edit of it that has just the first verse. I also added extended 8-bar intro + outros. Here it is: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=55E7D29F790F8EB6

Thanks

Ok, I'm guessing you're pretty young from the songs you mentioned, but here's a "hip hop clue": listen to rap music and find the parts you're talking about.

Do you think Premier or whoever you may look up to in this rap shit would ask "yo can you tell me some 'keep it real' songs to scratch?"

Do the legwork dude. That's the fucking least you can do. You'll probably learn a thing or 2 in the process.

I was wondering if people can recommend some hip-hop tracks that have lyrics that talk about a dedication to hip-hop culture, or a dislike for the commercialization of hip-hop.
    Some examples that come to mind are DJ Jazzy Jeff - For Da Love of Da Game, Jeru - Ya Playin' Yaself (sorta), Common - I Used To Lover Her, and Slum Village's - Raise It Up.
    I hate the second verse of Slum Village's Raise it Up so I did an edit of it that has just the first verse. I also added extended 8-bar intro + outros. Here it is: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=55E7D29F790F8EB6

Thanks

Ok, I'm guessing you're pretty young from the songs you mentioned, but here's a "hip hop clue": listen to rap music and find the parts you're talking about.

Do you think Premier or whoever you may look up to in this rap shit would ask "yo can you tell me some 'keep it real' songs to scratch?"

Do the legwork dude. That's the fucking least you can do. You'll probably learn a thing or 2 in the process.

Point taken... although I do quite a bit of legwork.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Thanks

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts

and only came up with four jawns????

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Thanks

You came on here asking a question and even offered something in return so I probably could have worded things better.
    BUT - I don't think many, if any, of us who make music on here would ever ask that question. I understand what you're saying, but to me it kind of takes the fun out of it. Hip Hop is making something out of nothing so use what's around you. Like I said, just listen and you'll hear what you're looking for.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Hip Hop is making something out of nothing

No, actually, it's a perpetual machine working for the advantage of as many as possible.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Thanks for the link - I abandonded that thread before the true comedy began.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

In my mind it is hard to make conclusions and draw lines, so to speak.

Haha, apparently.

I just realized I'm assuming this guy is a producer. Are you looking for tracks to listen to or for vocal cuts? My mind is in the gutter.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

Thanks

Hello,

There are some artists I'd suggest you check out, but u might already be familar with some of them. Is there a specific era of hip hop that you like? Do you listen mostly to new stuff? You might want to check out a message board called vinylexchange.com, as well as soulstrut. They have some cool discussions about rap music from time 2 time.

peace

h

Thanks

You came on here asking a question and even offered something in return so I probably could have worded things better.
    BUT - I don't think many, if any, of us who make music on here would ever ask that question. I understand what you're saying, but to me it kind of takes the fun out of it. Hip Hop is making something out of nothing so use what's around you. Like I said, just listen and you'll hear what you're looking for.

In retrospect, my question is quite amateur. I should have just looked deeper into my collection.