I Wanna Go To NYU....

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
i didnt take high school seriously. i honestly dont remember taking the SATs. i went to community college. finished half of it and then left to go on tour. did that for a few years. and now i am about to finish with a marketing degree and a GPA of about 3.5can i get into the NYU business program?anyone here went there?

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    no

to both questions

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    no

thanks

you have let me know the deal

now i dont even have to try

Stern is one of the top business programs in the country. Maybe if you had a 4.0 and finished on time and/or had a great "overcoming adversity" story. Or did your undergrad at Columbia or NYU but its tough, its a hard cut to make because you get out of there and youre set. Even the duds make 7 figures.

Stern is one of the top business programs in the country. Maybe if you had a 4.0 and finished on time and/or had a great "overcoming adversity" story. Or did your undergrad at Columbia or NYU but its tough, its a hard cut to make because you get out of there and youre set. Even the duds make 7 figures.

Stern? see i thought NYU had a business program in itself. not a branch school like that where its impossible to get into.

FUCK. what schools in the NYC area have good business (marketing and advertising) programs? if u know that is? im new to this

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts

you really just have to have your ish together like our Motor City/N.O./Austin extrodinaire aleit who's on his way as I type to NY to being his journey to getting his masters at NYU in sociology.

• My alma mater Rutgers has great business programs. There's a campus in New Brunswick, which is far from NYC, but they also have one in Newark, where I went, and they are opening up a small satellite campus in Jersey City which is about as close to NYC as you can get.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Don't get discouraged dude, but yeah. My brother went to Tisch and it was hella competitive, and that's the school for the arts!

But colleges is tough all over these days.

and Stern is the person's name the business school program is named after at NYU.

And not to be meant as a dis, but maybe you should read up about the school you wish to attend....

Don't get discouraged dude, but yeah. My brother went to Tisch and it was hella competitive, and that's the school for the arts!

im not really discouraged. i kind of just realized that i NEED to do this and actually WANT to do this. and i didnt take it seriously back when and dont wanna take the sucker way out. i dont wanna go to one of those 1-800 number business schools u see on Channel 9 late night

i wanna go to a legit place but i feel like i fucked up too much in the past you know?

FUCK. what schools in the NYC area have good business (marketing and advertising) programs? if u know that is? im new to this

My wife is Tanya from marketing and she was looking into a program at Fordham which is also in New York City. I think it was like a media/marketing graduate program I dont really understand half the stuff she talks about when she talks shop.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

im not really discouraged. i kind of just realized that i NEED to do this and actually WANT to do this. and i didnt take it seriously back when and dont wanna take the sucker way out. i dont wanna go to one of those 1-800 number business schools u see on Channel 9 late night

i wanna go to a legit place but i feel like i fucked up too much in the past you know?

Never too late, dog. I'm 32 and I think about going back to college all the time for like something different. Like all the time I feel as though I should have gone for business. I'm a successful businessman and I never took a class in it. If I had, well maybe I would have gotten THAT much futher. So I think about going back to school getting my MBA.

Just stay focused that's all, you'll get it. Never to late for ANYTHING in life.

Never to late for ANYTHING in life.

I'll be 40 in January and just started law school last year.
    There are other good schools, in fact depending on what you want to do, there could even be better schools. If you live near New York I would set up informational interviews and visit a coupl of them. They'll give you an honest answer about what your chances are of getting in, what the program will do for you, and what you may have to do to make yourself more marketable to them.

My wife is Tanya from marketing and she was looking into a program at Fordham which is also in New York City. I think it was like a media/marketing graduate program I dont really understand half the stuff she talks about when she talks shop.

yea i was informed Fordham might be the place for me. i will look into that. i realize it is never too late for anything, but you have to admit, the window of opportunity does get smaller with every passing year.

employers and colleges both want that new blood. that young blood.

and Stern is the person's name the business school program is named after at NYU.

And not to be meant as a dis, but maybe you should read up about the school you wish to attend....

i never looked into Stern as a school. i just "heard" NYU had a business program that was top notch and knew it was a competitive school. so next time instead of "sonning" you need to practice some 'shuttingthefuckup"

not meant as a dis either

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Top b-schools also expect you to have a few years of relevant experience--they're generally not that interested in people fresh out of college.

No offense, but maybe you need to look into the whole endeavor a little bit more.

Top b-schools also expect you to have a few years of relevant experience--they're generally not that interested in people fresh out of college.

No offense, but maybe you need to look into the whole endeavor a little bit more.

this is all new to me right now though. relevant experience? isnt most of the job market open to people who have gained relevant knowledge so to speak at a school for said study?

and isnt the "relevant" experience used to eventually get another job down the line?

usually people finish up all their schooling before they pursue a career, right?

yea i was informed Fordham might be the place for me. i will look into that. i realize it is never too late for anything, but you have to admit, the window of opportunity does get smaller with every passing year.

Schools also like people who have been out of school for a while too. And don't worry about employers, when you get out you will be infinately more marketable than when you went in. Besides, you dont have to think about that for three or four years, a big part of the program will be introducing you to employers and internships, summer programs and the like. Most of all, if you are prepared to put in the time and stop fucking around, its actually a lot of fun.

Schools also like people who have been out of school for a while too. And don't worry about employers, when you get out you will be infinately more marketable than when you went in. Besides, you dont have to think about that for three or four years, a big part of the program will be introducing you to employers and internships, summer programs and the like. Most of all, if you are prepared to put in the time and stop fucking around, its actually a lot of fun.

yea im in it for the long haul. i look to gain experience and have fun with it like you said. all while making a career out of it, if at all possible. its better than sitting in my dead end office doing what a leprechaun can do or something....leprechaun? im retarded

this is all new to me right now though. relevant experience? isnt most of the job market open to people who have gained relevant knowledge so to speak at a school for said study?

and isnt the "relevant" experience used to eventually get another job down the line?

usually people finish up all their schooling before they pursue a career, right?

No. And I'm not sure what you're looking for here--an argument with me? Because even if you argue me down, that's not going to change the way the world works and the system you're going to have to familiarize yourself with if you really want to do this.

Here's a hint: there are better sources of information about b-school than SoulStrut.

No. And I'm not sure what you're looking for here--an argument with me? Because even if you argue me down, that's not going to change the way the world works and the system you're going to have to familiarize yourself with if you really want to do this.

Here's a hint: there are better sources of information about b-school than SoulStrut.

im not trying to get in an argument with you. nor am i basing my future on a SS thread. i simply didnt understand what you meant by colleges wanting relevant experience. are you supposed to be well versed in the field before you learn the majority of it in college? that is what i didnt understand.

im not trying to get in an argument with you. nor am i basing my future on a SS thread. i simply didnt understand what you meant by colleges wanting relevant experience. are you supposed to be well versed in the field before you learn the majority of it in college? that is what i didnt understand.

What is that you're trying to do here exactly?

Go to b-school or go to college and major in business?

What is that you're trying to do here exactly?

Go to b-school or go to college and major in business?

college to major in business. not go to a "business" school, but go to a college that has a decent "business program". i am in a shitty SUNY college right now finishing up my AAS marketing degree i should of had done years ago.

so next time instead of "sonning" you need to practice some 'shuttingthefuckup"

hey I didn't come to a message board asking about how to get into a school I didn't know the name of.... But maybe it's indicitive of why you weren't on point in high school and felt the need to ask for help from the masses..... And if that's not taken the wrong way, I have a really good friend who teaches at NYU and could put you in touch with someone there who could give you some insight on what's involved in getting into biz school with less than stellar educational history.

hey I didn't come to a message board asking about how to get into a school I didn't know the name of.... But maybe it's indicitive of why you weren't on point in high school and felt the need to ask for help from the masses..... And if that's not taken the wrong way, I have a really good friend who teaches at NYU and could put you in touch with someone there who could give you some insight on what's involved in getting into biz school with less than stellar educational history.

i knew that NYU had a business school called Stern. what i wasnt aware of is that it didnt have a business program as well. as opposed to its own school. maybe it does but i doubt it. and im done with this "help from the masses". im not asking for life lessons or stellar advice. just small insight maybe based on experience of what i can expect. notice i didnt finish my other degree yet so when that time comes to continue my education i think i will be more inclined to look for help elsewhere. not on this board.

we dont want your help!

we dont want your help!

what my man said ^^^^

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

it is my understading that b-schools want to ensure that when the graduate an MBA student they are putting out someone who truly wants to be working in the business related field. In short, they do not want someone who was just following a degree plan from age 19-26 (undergraduate/graduate).

they want well rounded graduates, which means they want people who have realworld and scholastic training not just scholastic.

Also, I too am looking to go back and get my MBA here in NYC. But in my experience with B-School, unless you are going to a Stern, Whartons, Kellog, etc type of school, most B-Schools will carry similar clout. I am looking at Baruch (which i heard has a solid mba program) and Pace here in the city. No they won't carry the same weight as Stern, but the idea of employers dismissing smaller colleges (especially for an MBA) is probably off base. If you are trying to get in I-Banking, maybe not, but if you want to just get into a solid professional career, most employers will not dismiss you as less qualified just b/c you went to Pace as opposed to Rutgers.

Also, you are likely to save several thousand dollars too.

it is my understading that b-schools want to ensure that when the graduate an MBA student they are putting out someone who truly wants to be working in the business related field. In short, they do not want someone who was just following a degree plan from age 19-26 (undergraduate/graduate).

they want well rounded graduates, which means they want people who have realworld and scholastic training not just scholastic.

Also, I too am looking to go back and get my MBA here in NYC. But in my experience with B-School, unless you are going to a Stern, Whartons, Kellog, etc type of school, most B-Schools will carry similar clout. I am looking at Baruch (which i heard has a solid mba program) and Pace here in the city. No they won't carry the same weight as Stern, but the idea of employers dismissing smaller colleges (especially for an MBA) is probably off base. If you are trying to get in I-Banking, maybe not, but if you want to just get into a solid professional career, most employers will not dismiss you as less qualified just b/c you went to Pace as opposed to Rutgers.

thank you for some insight into this. id like to add a "shut the fuck up" just to be fair to the other people i told to "shut the fuck up"

but yea, youre on the money. i am definitely straying more and more away from a B School as opposed to a 4 yr with a good business program. not only because of my past, but because of the future and the money it requires.

Pace is a good program. Especially if you already have contacts or a career and just want to get yourself up to the next level. I looked into Rutgers law, but my wife wouldnt let me go to Newark for evening classes, and I ended up getting into a better school anyway.