Eddie Kendricks fans?

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

Anyone know off the top of thier head how many 45's (or any full length's) on EJK records aside from The Posse ? DC I'm lookin at you g-bone. Or if that even is the real EK listed in writers credit?

EJK is his label, I think there are 2 Posse 45s on that & 2 on Janus? the falsetto lead sounds alot like him but I guess it's not.

I've also seen his producer credit on a really rare funk 45 from 70/71 by the Atos on the Pato label

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    update on that system...

as cool as it is, i contacted the seller to see if any other personal effects were to be offered, and they told me this......the chair featured on the cover of the PEOPLE....HOLD ON Lp will be for sale.

now that is truly the definition of

deal with that!

I will actually spend real money on that chair (and in the process, probably destroy any pure, psychic, dryadic vibrations located therein).

Actually - Soulstrut.com could afford this chair if it were to pull together and buy it en masse. We could all get pictures taken on it.

LET'S MAKE THIS HAPPEN/H2>

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    HEATWOOD '06: This one's for Mrs. Kendricks.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Soulstrut.com could afford this chair if it were to pull together and buy it en masse. We could all get pictures taken on it.

and in whose house would it stay?

and is the spear thrown in as a freebie?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

I've also seen his producer credit on a really rare funk 45 from 70/71 by the Atos on the Pato label

The ATOs band, AKA, The Leaders of "Rat Race" fame. Holler!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Soulstrut.com could afford this chair if it were to pull together and buy it en masse. We could all get pictures taken on it.

and in whose house would it stay?

and is the spear thrown in as a freebie?

It could rotate amongst those in the bidding party. Or: you've seen my place; I've got room.

I'll let you know about the spear when I find out.

And what's all this about Joe Walsh?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

citation please?

---

citation please?

---

Think it was DC who confirmed this for me first, though there was an article in Big Daddy years ago about the Michigan/Leaders connection, right?

• You Mitten fools!
    The Atos Band from Saginaw merely backed the Leaders (an Arkansas vocal group) on the Superstar 45 from Little Rock.
    They were probably with Kendricks passing through that area.
    There are a few records on their own Michigan-based Pato label however.
    Unfortunately Pato himself is deceased.

Young Senators without Kendricks is what's up.

The People Hold On Chair needs to be procured BEFORE it hits eBay.
    It should be followed by a flat-bed truck purchase and the two can tour the nation parade style, leaving a wake of gassed message board drones.

"I missed it? WHAT?! They said noon!"
    "Don't sweat it dawg, it's gonna be in Gurnee tomorrow."

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

It should be followed by a flat-bed truck purchase and

the two can tour the nation parade style, leaving a wake of gassed message board drones[/b].
    This would make my meaningless life complete!

You Mitten fools!
    The Atos Band from Saginaw merely backed the Leaders (an Arkansas vocal group) on the Superstar 45 from Little Rock.
    They were probably with Kendricks passing through that area.
    There are a few records on their own Michigan-based Pato label however.
    Unfortunately Pato himself is deceased.

Arrrrggghhhh. I swear this is like the fourth version of this MI-AK connection I've heard. I'll take this edition in writing as gospel.

I've heard one soul 45 by the ATOs on Pato (and another by the Delvons), there's a funk 45 too, huh?

Now what's up with 'brainstorm connection'?

• From my book:

Brain Storm Connections[/b]

"Love Is Understanding/ Brain Storm Connections" (B.S.C. 101)

Eddie Roberts produced this obscure and admirable Flint, Michigan release. Led by Charles Summerville, the B-side of the group???s only record will pique the ears of those in tune to the sound of accomplished early ???70s funk.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Gurnee

From my book:

Brain Storm Connections[/b]

"Love Is Understanding/ Brain Storm Connections" (B.S.C. 101)

Eddie Roberts produced this obscure and admirable Flint, Michigan release. Led by Charles Summerville, the B-side of the group???s only record will pique the ears of those in tune to the sound of accomplished early ???70s funk.

Any connection to the Beverly Wheeler B.S.C. label? Is there a T. Biggs connection?

• Any connection to the Beverly Wheeler B.S.C. label? Is there a T. Biggs connection?

Amazingly, no.
    BSC in Flint apparently means Brain Storm Connections.

Any connection to the Beverly Wheeler B.S.C. label? Is there a T. Biggs connection?

Amazingly, no.
    BSC in Flint apparently means Brain Storm Connections.

oh for fucks sake. I should have figured.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Young Senators without Kendricks is what's up.

You seriously LIKE that 45, Dante? (I think it's called "Boogie Music.")

Either they have other singles I haven't heard, or maybe it's time I gave that Epic 45 another listen.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I have a 45 by the Young Senators (Eddie Kendricks' backup band...they should have LOST that name). It's on Epic. WISH I could say that it was a classic up there with People, Hold On, but...[/b]

Wasn't there a Young Senators that evolved into one of the better known go-go bands? Different guys? Or am I imagining that entirely?

• The Young Senators[/b]

"The Senators In Session/ 7th And T" (Swami 008)
    "Ringing Bells (Sweet Music)/ Pt. 2" (Innovation RI-2955)
    "Jungle/ That???s The Way It Is" (Innovation RI-3138)
    "Boogie Music/ Boogie Music (Inst.)" (Epic 50218)
    "Ride The Tide/ Same" (Epic 50281) 1976

First three are solid.

• As much as I love Ringing Bells, etc. I personally still prefer the Kendricks material.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

I have a 45 by the Young Senators (Eddie Kendricks' backup band...they should have LOST that name). It's on Epic. WISH I could say that it was a classic up there with People, Hold On, but...[/b]

Wasn't there a Young Senators that evolved into one of the better known go-go bands? Different guys? Or am I imagining that entirely?

They ARE the first go-go band. I'm not aware of another group comprised of the majority of members under a different name. However, individuals would appear on releases by most big go-go acts (Chuck B, EU, etc.).

Funny thing is those freakin YS 45s are super scarce around DC. I would've expected to come across them more often. I mean, I wouldn't even find skated or broken copies. Nothing. I think I only have one title.

In 1965, seven teenagers fused together their musical talents to form one of Chocolate City???s earliest go-go bands ??? The Young Senators. Known as the ???Emperors of Go-Go, Frank Hooker, Leroy Fleming, Wornell Jones, James Johnson, David Lecraft, Jimi Dougans, and the late Calvin Charity were from Uptown Northwest DC and played the local scene, which included spots like the Glenarden Town Hall, The Underground, and the Knights of Columbus Hall. The group recorded on their independent label, Sound Innovation Records, one hit, ???Jungle,??? that went number one locally, but it wasn???t until they hooked up with the late great Eddie Kendricks [formerly of the Temptations] that they received critical acclaim.

Immediately after starting his solo career, Kendricks solicited the Young Senators??? services and initiated a relationship/friendship that would last for almost eight years. Kendricks with his silky smooth falsetto voice, combined with TYS??? soulful sounds, first collaborated on his second album ???People Hold On.??? According to Kendricks??? former producer, Frank Wilson, the Young Senators provided a new sound for the veteran performer. ???I wanted to move away from the Motown Sound and get closer to what people were hearing when [Eddie] Kendricks performed live,??? said Wilson. ???We got that feel with ???Girl You Need a Change of Mind???.???

• Kevin Coombe needs to post on this Young Senators topic.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Kevin Coombe needs to get that DC funk book out!

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    The Young Senators[/b]

"The Senators In Session/ 7th And T" (Swami 008)
    "Ringing Bells (Sweet Music)/ Pt. 2" (Innovation RI-2955)
    "Jungle/ That???s The Way It Is" (Innovation RI-3138)
    "Boogie Music/ Boogie Music (Inst.)" (Epic 50218)
    "Ride The Tide/ Same" (Epic 50281) 1976

First three are solid.

i got all my pieces here at local flea markets. "ride the tide" pops up often. i have all those but the swami one. didnt even know that existed. whats it like?

• The People Hold On Chair needs to be procured BEFORE it hits eBay.

the two can tour the nation parade style, leaving a wake of gassed message board drones[/b].

The SS version of the Biz Doll...whose gonna organize this?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

plaese oh god, are you kidding me?

SOULSTRUT NEEDS TO OWN THIS CHAIR.

I'll chip in to purchase it for the Soul Strut mansion. $10 gets you a pic of yourself seated in the chair next time you're in Raj's neck of the woods.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

I'll chip in to purchase it for the Soul Strut mansion. $10 gets you a pic of yourself seated in the chair next time you're in Raj's neck of the woods.

Im in.

• I really like the title track, haven't heard the rest of the album.